Need help and opinion on trench watch!
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need help and opinion on trench watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help and opinion on trench watch!

I placed a bid on this watch 18 euros. Looks like a nice trench watch I don't have one. Is it worth more? Or less? What brand? How high should I bid? Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Need help and opinion on trench watch!

Looks like a Waltham but idk

It's worth as much as you think it's worth. For 18 Euros, it looks like a decently finished movement, and the condition isn't too shabby. Take into account the fact that it will need to be serviced, which can cost anywhere from a couple hundred to several hundred Euros.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks all original, including the crown which often gets replaced. The dial looks OK save for a few nibbles on the edge hidden by the bezel. The "red twelve" dials tend to get more interest(and more hype from sellers). The swinging lugs are less common, most come with fixed loops so that's a bonus. Brand is hard to discern. Many if not most are brandless. Branding was less a thing in the early days and many were local jeweler put togethers. It looks like a Swiss movement to me. A Schild or a fontainemelon maybe? 15 jewels so a step above many. Does the seller say what age it is? This design can be found as late as the 1930's, particularly in the UK market where it remained fashionable for longer. If it's silver it'll be hallmarked and that will date it precisely. Size is another aspect to consider. It should be at least 30mm if it's described as a mans watch. Anything under that and it's aimed at the ladies(though ebay sellers will often claim otherwise). 35mm(or rarely over) is the sweet spot and more valuable. Is it running? The regulator is all the way over so it will need a service, but so long as nothing is broken under a hundred euro should cover you(depending on the watchmakers prices of course. Michael Swift in the UK would be my go to man).

Value? How long is a piece of string? If you get it for 18 then that would be a "bargain", but I'd be surprised if you do unless it's badly described. I'd say a running example would go for closer to 100-200 euros.

I have a few of these early "trench" watches and have had more over the years. A good one is a nice watch to have and more robust than you might think, though avoid water like the plague. One of the most accurate watches I own is a 1916 Longines and I've worn it as a daily watch for months at a time.
    Last edited by Wibbs; May 15th, 2014 at 12:35.
    Coler likes this.

I agree with Wibbs. Good advice there too. It is not a Waltham.
    Wibbs likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It's worth as much as you think it's worth.
    Yup.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Any photos of the inner caseback? That would help. If it is silver and it may be going by the tarnish colour then you'll find out the age, casemaker/importer(if it's a UK example anyway. Though a lot on the bay are).

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Any photos of the inner caseback? That would help. If it is silver and it may be going by the tarnish colour then you'll find out the age, casemaker/importer(if it's a UK example anyway. Though a lot on the bay are).

It's worth the price you paid if you like the watch. To me it looks good and I would enjoy wearing it. It's a decent quality watch with components from an unknown maker(s). My guess is european. Because the regulating arm is pushed all the way to one side that is an excellent indication that a service and possible repairs are long overdue.
    Last edited by John MS; May 15th, 2014 at 18:50.

OK it's silver(928), it's a London UK hallmark, date letter (u) is 1915/16 and the importers/distributors mark G.S is for one George Stockwell of London or Birmingham(Not sure running on memory here) who imported cases and movements from various Swiss makers. I should have mentioned the "swiss made" written on the movement would have given the game away to all but the most hard of seeing.

So Silver cased 1916 UK market "Trench watch" with 15 jewel Swiss movement. Anywhere from 100 euro(if you're lucky) to 300 depending on how the auction goes. Though IMHO 300 would be waaaay too much to pay for this. It's a very common case design, the only standout being the swinging lugs. Me? If I got it for say under 150 I'd be happy with that, but I'd be happier if I got it for 90.
    Noam the Newt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information