Need help picking new watch

Thread: Need help picking new watch

Need help picking new watch

I know, I've come to the right place, right? I'm in the market for a new dress watch to wear with suits, etc. I want 40-45mm silver case, black leather band under $1,000. Right now I'm looking at: Hamilton American Classic Intra-Matic Silver Dial Mens Watch H38755751, ORIENT Men's Watch ORIENTSTAR Classic Orient Star Classic WZ0251EL, Tissot T-Classic Le Locle Mens Watch T41.1.423.33. What's your choice, or other suggestion? Thanks

Re: Need help picking new watch

As someone who is totally partisan and a Tissot fan I would advocate the Tissot but you have picked 3 crackers there so any one will serve you well. Just pick the one that you like the look of best.

[QUOTE=drlvegas;6916400]I know, I've come to the right place, right? QUOTE]
    Of course you have. The affordables forum is also a great place to ask this question.

Quote Originally Posted by drlvegas View Post
    I know, I've come to the right place, right? I'm in the market for a new dress watch to wear with suits, etc. I want 40-45mm silver case, black leather band under $1,000. Right now I'm looking at: Hamilton American Classic Intra-Matic Silver Dial Mens Watch H38755751, ORIENT Men's Watch ORIENTSTAR Classic Orient Star Classic WZ0251EL, Tissot T-Classic Le Locle Mens Watch T41.1.423.33. What's your choice, or other suggestion? Thanks

All fine choices, all come highly recommended.

A couple more suggestions, just because it's fun:

Stowa Marine Original. Right at the top of your price point, and not available new until January (though versions with the auto movement, rather than the handwind, are considerably cheaper). Still awesome.
    Marine - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

I'm wearing, right now, my Steinhart Marine Roman II. It's bigger, bulkier, and thicker than the Stowa, but has the same "guts" and beautiful finishing, for about 1/2 the price. Doesn't fit under shirt cuffs too well, but I think it can still be a "dress" watch, so long as your wrists are 7" or bigger, and are reasonably flat,

They're listed as sold out on the Steinhart website, but they come up on the used market every week or so.

Name:  700F4354-EC78-428A-A501-66F74F8BB36C-1915-00000257941D6E13_zps0cbb1b41.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  280.8 KB

Mido, a Swatch Group (Hamilton, Tissot, Longines, Omega, Breguet, etc.) brand that gets overlooked particularly in the States, has a bunch of nice looking watches in that $1000 range on the grey market. The nice thing about them is that they usually use higher grade ETA movements, though it's rarely advertised.
    Baroncelli III (39mm)
    i

Multifort (really cool textured dial, comes in 42mm size)

There are a bunch of styles.

And you can't talk about sub-$1K "dress" watches without talking about Christopher Ward.
    There's a sale going on right now on many of their Malvern and Harrison watches
    Autumn Event

I'm not disrespecting any of the choices you've offered-- they're fine and you're certainly welcome to buy them if you'd like. I'm just trying to give a few more options. :)

(oh, and on my list next for a watch in this type of category is the Ball Fireman Racer Classic. It's in the neighborhood of $1300 used, though. I'm just saying I'd either go with the Mido or save up for the Ball.

Welcome to BALL Watch . - Fireman - Racer Classic - NM2288C-SJ-GY)

P.S. one more -- G.Gerlach's MC Batory, with big date and subseconds. It's a polish company, and they use Chinese movements, but from everything I hear, the quality is excellent for the money.
    m/s Batory
    Last edited by Perdendosi; October 25th, 2013 at 23:30.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh, and one more (I can't help myself-- totally procrastinating a work project). $1000 gets you to Raymond Weil dress watches on the grey market:
    Raymond Weil Maestro White Dial Black Leather Mens Watch 2827-STC-00659 Raymond Weil Maestro Mens Watch 2838-STC-00659

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Thread Information