Need help with watch identification
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By talljosh
  • 1 Post By Rdenney

Thread: Need help with watch identification

Need help with watch identification

This watch is a family heirloom and through all my research I have come up empty handed. I'm hoping some one will be able to help identify the watch. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Re: Need help with watch identification

I can't make out the text on the dial from your pics.

Looks like a valjoux movement to me. This movement was often cased by many different brands. If it is these typically aren't exceptionally rare pieces or will set your family up with summer cottage by the sea if you sold it. But they are very nice and collectible.

Is it working?

Better pics or writing out any text or numbers you see would help.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply. The watch is fully functional and is manual wind up. On the face it reads from top to bottom: Chronographe, Suisse, Anchre 17 Rubis, Antimagnetic. On the back the symbol looks to be the profile of a women's head. Below reads: 18K, 0730 (from what I can see), 105-0, 167. Hopefully this was helpful. The band is not original and is a replacement. Do you have a rough estimation as to the value of this piece? Thank you again

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianizm View Post
    Thank you for your reply. The watch is fully functional and is manual wind up. On the face it reads from top to bottom: Chronographe, Suisse, Anchre 17 Rubis, Antimagnetic. On the back the symbol looks to be the profile of a women's head. Below reads: 18K, 0730 (from what I can see), 105-0, 167. Hopefully this was helpful. The band is not original and is a replacement. Do you have a rough estimation as to the value of this piece? Thank you again

Although I can't be sure without seeing the movement, I'm pretty sure that this Chrongraph Suisse is from the 1940s, with a Landeron cal. 48 manual wind movement. This was considered a very low-level movement when it was made, but they seem to just keep on ticking, and have proven themselves to be very durable (if not particularly accurate).

Chronograph Suisse was a conglomerate of several manufacturers that made a bunch of different watches with various movements and cases.

As the hallmark suggests, the outer case on this one is 18k gold, but it's made of sheet gold which would make it very easy to dent (and they were, so the condition of this one is very nice and not too common). In order to keep the structure solid despite the soft gold, the sheet was wrapped around a brass inner case, which provided most of the metal in the watch.

In terms of value, I'd rather not guess, especially on the limited information available. What's important here is that it's a cool family heirloom and really lovely watch to own in great condition. Maybe it'll e the start of your kickass vintage chrono collection?
    GETS, mike120 and teatimecrumpet like this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Looks like a "Chronographe Suisse" 18k handwind 17 jewels chronograph. Made late 40s, early 50s. Could be fitted with a Landeron or Valjoux caliber. Google should take you further.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by talljosh View Post
    Although I can't be sure without seeing the movement, I'm pretty sure that this Chrongraph Suisse is from the 1940s, with a Landeron cal. 48 manual wind movement. This was considered a very low-level movement when it was made, but they seem to just keep on ticking, and have proven themselves to be very durable (if not particularly accurate).

Chronograph Suisse was a conglomerate of several manufacturers that made a bunch of different watches with various movements and cases.

As the hallmark suggests, the outer case on this one is 18k gold, but it's made of sheet gold which would make it very easy to dent (and they were, so the condition of this one is very nice and not too common). In order to keep the structure solid despite the soft gold, the sheet was wrapped around a brass inner case, which provided most of the metal in the watch.

In terms of value, I'd rather not guess, especially on the limited information available. What's important here is that it's a cool family heirloom and really lovely watch to own in great condition. Maybe it'll e the start of your kickass vintage chrono collection?
    I would like to second this post. It is a family heirloom and it is too valueable to meisure. If the movement is valjoux, check out Strela 3017 watch, made by Poljot russia, similar to valjoux. Check out ebay, and see the price of that russian watch.
    However that is in nice condition and should be preserved accordingly and kept in a good condition.

Sent from my MI 2SC using Tapatalk

I agree with Mark G:
    RELIABILITY, UTILITY, REPAIRABILITY

I probably would not wear it, just to avoid damaging an heirloom. In addition to the case back being thin and fragile, the lugs are hollow. The metal movement ring is the brass part, and they had to call it a "movement ring" to avoid the hallmark being fraudulent. But the gold weight is very low.

If made in the late 40's, these were probably made as souvenirs for tourists or Allied occupation forces, and that fits with the made-up brand to avoid the backing companies undermining their own brand value. It has only been in the last several decades that the Swiss have focused on the pricier end of the market, and these were made to bring in some much-needed cash. The Landeron movement is well enough made, but not as well made as a Valjoux or Venus movement (Venus was between Landeron and Valjoux on the food chain in those days). But they follow a classic design and unless broken or gummed up will probably work acceptably. But I still wouldn't wear it for fear of damaging it.

Rick "who wears his late 40's JLC, but that was not a tourist souvenir" Denney
    mike120 likes this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

You guys are absolutely amazing and I'm extremely grateful for all the information. I had spent quite sometime researching the watch and was unable to find anything. You are all very knowledgeable. I was actually looking to sell the watch to help out a family member in need at the moment. If anyone would be so kind to guide me in that direction I would once again be very thankful.

Better off saving up 50 bucks and keeping the watch.
    Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianizm View Post
    You guys are absolutely amazing and I'm extremely grateful for all the information. I had spent quite sometime researching the watch and was unable to find anything. You are all very knowledgeable. I was actually looking to sell the watch to help out a family member in need at the moment. If anyone would be so kind to guide me in that direction I would once again be very thankful.

chronograph suisse | eBay

That's a link to the 'sold listings' on Ebay, which should give you an idea of what similar watches have sold for.

Thread Information