Need help for wife's purchase (Cartier)

Thread: Need help for wife's purchase (Cartier)

Need help for wife's purchase (Cartier)

My wife and I were walking by a storefront near our home in Germany and she fell in love with a used Cartier Santos Automatic. The next day I went and checked it out. No box but has the Cartier "authentic" paperwork. I is a 1984 version. No Cartier service information. The jewelery store "warrenties" it for 12 months and says if there is a problem or if is doesn't keep time, we can return it for a full refund. It has been well cared for. Some brush marks from exterior cleaning. Ultimately the wife loves the look and thinks it is cool to have an automatic. The price is 1100 Euro with negotiation room.

Can you guys/gals advise me if this is a good purchase?
    Does anyone know how much a Cartier service will be?

Thanks,

J
    His & Her Omega Blue Ceramic SMPs 41mm & 36.25mm

Re: Need help for wife's purchase (Cartier)

Your on vacation and your wife loves the watch.

This is a no brainer because the watch will always be a reminder to your wife of the vacation in Germany that you both have taken.

Sentimental value > paperwork in this case.
    Current:

Citizen Titanium ???
    Omega DeVille 431.30.41.21.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster 3577.50.00
    Previous:

Citizen Eco Drive AP1024-56P
    Citizen Eco Drive BL8000-54A / -03A
    Citizen Eco Drive BM6590-53A

Hamilton Jazzmaster H32565555
    Hamilton Jazzmaster H32565735
    Omega Seamaster 2201.51.00
    Previous Continued:

Omega Speedmaster 3576.50.00
    RLT Watch Co. RTL-13

Rotary GS00005/06-ABT02M
    Rotary GS90021/21

Tissot Ballade III T031.410.11.033.00
    Tissot PRC-100 T008.417.44.061.00
    Wants:

Nothing.

That watch has an ETA movement with no complications, right? If so, you won't need to go through Cartier to service the watch -- any competent watchmaker could do it, and it would be relatively inexpensive (standard three-hand ETA movements are about as inexpensive as servicing gets, although that will still vary depending on where you are).

You'd definitely want to take the watch to a competent watchmaker who is unrelated to the store you're buying it from, just to verify that it's genuine and in good working order.

But, wait for someone who knows more than I do to confirm that it's just a regular ETA movement in there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    That watch has an ETA movement with no complications, right? If so, you won't need to go through Cartier to service the watch -- any competent watchmaker could do it, and it would be relatively inexpensive (standard three-hand ETA movements are about as inexpensive as servicing gets, although that will still vary depending on where you are).

You'd definitely want to take the watch to a competent watchmaker who is unrelated to the store you're buying it from, just to verify that it's genuine and in good working order.

But, wait for someone who knows more than I do to confirm that it's just a regular ETA movement in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
    Your on vacation and your wife loves the watch.

This is a no brainer because the watch will always be a reminder to your wife of the vacation in Germany that you both have taken.

Sentimental value > paperwork in this case.
    Thank you both for you replies. Anna lives in Germany (for Work) at the moment, so we are in no hurry. I have already returned to the US. She will be checking it out further these coming two weeks. It is the first that she every got excited over a watch ... unlike me who always gets excited. I think she will be wearing it soon.
    His & Her Omega Blue Ceramic SMPs 41mm & 36.25mm

Thread Information