Need a lil advice regarding FedEx charges

Thread: Need a lil advice regarding FedEx charges

Need a lil advice regarding FedEx charges

I have a watch incoming, shipped via FedEx. It was a lil out of my budget, but I got a good offer on that so I decided to go for it. Now its on its way to me and I called up FedEx to ask if i have to pay anything at the time of delivery. They have quoted an amount thats about half the value of the watch. I'm really in a fix here, as this makes it a lil too expensive for me to afford at the moment. I know my country charges a fair bit of custom duties, but this is seriously ridiculous. Is there any other option apart from accepting it and pay up?
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Re: Need a lil advice regarding FedEx charges

Update - I'm paying for it. I figured its going to cost me as much as if I were to buy it without an offer or discount. It does suck a bit, but this is an early birthday present for me (from myself), so I called up FedEx and asked them to deliver it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:

kew

Fedex will bill you for any applicable Customs or taxes and their fee too. They do that according to what value is on the attached paperwork and the laws of the country of importation. Happy forthcoming birthday and what watch did you buy yourself?

I don't think the sender will be too happy if you refuse the package. The possibility or probability of paying taxes and duties should really be considered before you decide to buy.
    Nathan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kew View Post
    Fedex will bill you for any applicable Customs or taxes and their fee too. They do that according to what value is on the attached paperwork and the laws of the country of importation. Happy forthcoming birthday and what watch did you buy yourself?

I don't think the sender will be too happy if you refuse the package. The possibility or probability of paying taxes and duties should really be considered before you decide to buy.
    Thanks and yeah, you are right, I should have considered the duties and taxes. What really got me pissed is when I got to know that the customs people totally disregarded the price of the watch mentioned in the invoice (and honestly that what I paid for it). They instead thought they knew more about watches than the company itself and valued the watch at 75% more than the original price. So I don't blame FedEx for that. I also learned that it could take an eternity before I could get my problem resolved with the customs department and I don't wanna waste my time with that. Having said that, I can't wait for it to arrive (again).

Oh, almost forgot, the watch in question is a Laco Flieger 42 Type A Automatik - "Bremen"
    My blog:

kew

Very nice. You should enjoy that one!
    Nathan

I had a preloved Seiko Premier arrive with a Customs valuation of $1000, and appropriate fees from our good friends at FEDEX. While I will never again use FEDEX's services due to their love of extra charges, I did manage to get Customs to reverse their decision, by sending printouts of email discussions with the seller, a copy of the ad, and a copy of the payment. They accepted this argument and promptly sent me a cheque for half what they had charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Pete View Post
    I had a preloved Seiko Premier arrive with a Customs valuation of $1000, and appropriate fees from our good friends at FEDEX. While I will never again use FEDEX's services due to their love of extra charges, I did manage to get Customs to reverse their decision, by sending printouts of email discussions with the seller, a copy of the ad, and a copy of the payment. They accepted this argument and promptly sent me a cheque for half what they had charged.
    I'll try my best, but knowing how things work here in this country (don't want to start a political rant now), I wouldn't keep my hopes up too high. Whats nice is that most the watches I order from abroad and that come via normal post, seem to be delivered without any additional duties to be paid. They might take up to three weeks to deliver, but its worth it at times.
    My blog:

I don't know if things are the same in India as they are here in Canada but if you pick up the package at the point where it arrives in your country you can avoid their brokerage fees. I think they call it self brokering.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    I don't know if things are the same in India as they are here in Canada but if you pick up the package at the point where it arrives in your country you can avoid their brokerage fees. I think they call it self brokering.
    Hmm...not too sure about that, but I'll find out. Thanks! :)
    My blog:

Thread Information