Need a little help/guidance on demagnetizing
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need a little help/guidance on demagnetizing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a little help/guidance on demagnetizing

Hello all,
    So I watched some videos and read a bit about the magnetized watch issue and the process of demagnetizing. Using a compass I checked all my watches and sure enough, one of my Seiko and my Omega made the compass go squirrelly and I assume they are indeed magnetized. I ordered one of the $10 demagnetizers from Amazon and followed the simple instructions from several YouTube videos: watch is stopped, placed on machine then push button for 10 seconds, slowly lift watch up with button still depressed, when watch is at least 1 foot up and away, let go of button. However, my compass is continuing to do the exact same movement. With my Seiko I have tried it three separate times already and there doesn’t seem to any change. I only did the Omega once but the same no change result.

Is it really supposed to work as quickly and easily as the videos? Should I keep trying? Or does it seem like I was simply unlucky enough to get a bum machine?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Need a little help/guidance on demagnetizing

Worked for me using the process you described. I wonder if the demagnetizer you purchased is broken. Heck, it's a really cheap looking (and cheap) part. If it's worth it to you, just spend another ten bucks on a new one and try it again.

You can tell if your demagnetizer is working by holding the watch on top of it, pushing the button, and if you feel it vibrating slightly, it is working--if not, it isn't. Start by holding the watch on top of the unit a few seconds and in a slow upward arch, move away to the end of your outreach, and release the button. Repeat this several times, but each time, begin by placing the watch on the unit in a different position (facing up, facing down, on either side), each time making sure you feel the slight vibration before beginning your motion--four or at most five times will have demagnetized your watch, if not before.
    whineboy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I will give that a try. I guess one of my other concerns is whether it’s possible to cause any damage by overdoing the demagnetizing.

And if it simply isn’t working I’ll do as LATimer suggested and get another one. It was a Prime item so I can probably return the other for free if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful. If you're not sure, I would visit your local watch shop and ask for advice. I actually followed the steps to demagnitize and somehow thoroughly screwed up my own watch. It was running fast in spurts, like it had an arrhythmia. My local shop had no idea how to fix it and the only solution was to replace parts. It turned into a huge nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by mrandersen10 View Post
    Be careful. If you're not sure, I would visit your local watch shop and ask for advice. I actually followed the steps to demagnitize and somehow thoroughly screwed up my own watch. It was running fast in spurts, like it had an arrhythmia. My local shop had no idea how to fix it and the only solution was to replace parts. It turned into a huge nightmare.
    Yeah, that's not the demagnetizer's fault......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrandersen10 View Post
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    It's very possible the watch was already screwed up before I even attempted the demagnetizing. I have no idea. It started running very fast after I mistakenly left it sitting next to my speakers. Maybe +30 s/day. I demagnetized it, then it started running wildly from +10 s/d to nearly +1 min/day. I don't know what happened there.

If a hairspring is magnetized, could the demagnetization distort it or shift it enough to affect timekeeping? The applied magnetic field must cause it to react.

FWIW, I use one of the fancy high-powered demagnetizers, but only on stopped watches.

All mechanical, all the time
    whineboy

Remember to demagnetize the bracelet also.

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    If a hairspring is magnetized, could the demagnetization distort it or shift it enough to affect timekeeping? The applied magnetic field must cause it to react.

FWIW, I use one of the fancy high-powered demagnetizers, but only on stopped watches.

When the hairspring becomes magnetized it's effective length gets shortened. As a consequence the balance does not swing as far and the escapement is released more frequently. The watch usually speeds up a lot.
    Last edited by John MS; August 17th, 2018 at 19:33. Reason: Deleted system generated duplicate.
    whineboy and Drewdoog like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information