Need an opinion
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fantasio

Thread: Need an opinion

Need an opinion

So, I have decided to downsize my watch collection to just two pieces. Because I find I would buy 4-5, and only wear one of them... Maybe switching the others on here and there.

In that, I am definitely keeping my Planet Ocean XL 8500 with the ceramic bezel and orange numbers... It's just an awesome watch! And it works with anything. I just got rid of my Submariner because classic as it is... I just wasn't feeling it. I am trying to figure out something a bit more refined and classy, but that I can still rotate in on normal days, be it wearing a t-shirt, dress shirt, or sport jacket. I am considering a Nomos because I love the simplicity (I must admit I was sold on a Lambda until I saw the price!), and the in-house movement is just icing on the cake to me, but I am also considering a Speedmaster Broad Arrow (white dial, blue hands), because I've always loved the arrow style Omega hands. It's also nice to have a chrono, as I do tend to make a fair bit out use out of them. Previously I had owned two 3570.50 SMP's, but I feel the BA is a bit more relaxed and refined. I had considered long and hard the Tudor Black Shield Fastrider, even went to my AD to check one out (a first, I hate buying watches new), but I decided the lack of lume and very dark dial weren't for me (hilariously the AD saw me come up in my Red Audi S4 and kept trying to use that as a selling point for a red/black watch).

Anyone have any other watches I should possibly consider? I'm a big fan of sapphire casebacks and in-house or highly customized movements, I just can't stand not seeing what makes my watch tick. I also have fairly large wrists... So though I love some of the Nomos I've looked at... I just can't see me pulling off anything under 40-42mm.
    Kyle.
    Ahoy hoy!

Re: Need an opinion

Based on this I'd suggest IWC Portuguese Chrono, covers dressy/casual and size is 41 mm. But it doesn't have in-house movement or sapphire back.

Quote Originally Posted by ToXic View Post
    I am trying to figure out something a bit more refined and classy, but that I can still rotate in on normal days, be it wearing a t-shirt, dress shirt, or sport jacket.

It's also nice to have a chrono, as I do tend to make a fair bit out use out of them.
    Name:  1517187d1401974395-casual-observer-jumping-portofino-8-day-portuguese-auto-iwcportuguese_front6.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  198.4 KB
    (pic from https://forums.watchuseek.com/f350/ca...o-1039191.html)

This Nomos would have a movement and caseback you like, size almost 40 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ToXic View Post
    I am considering a Nomos because I love the simplicity (I must admit I was sold on a Lambda until I saw the price!), and the in-house movement is just icing on the cake to me

I'm a big fan of sapphire casebacks and in-house or highly customized movements, I just can't stand not seeing what makes my watch tick.
    Name:  Nomos-Zurich-Weltzeit-04.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  139.6 KB
    (pic from Nomos Zürich Weltzeit - Review - Monochrome Watches - Monochrome Watches)
    ev13wt likes this.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

That NOMOS Weltzeit is my current "saving up for it" timepiece. Verrrry nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 for the Portuguese but go with the 7 Day Reserve.

It has an in-house movement and sapphire case back.

it's bigger than the chrono at 43mm, and thicker too.

You can dress it up with leather or dress it down with a NATO, and it has more wrist presence than a lot of other watches out there!

The piece is spectacular and on my grail list.

Name:  PA_Wrist_20100623.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  147.6 KB
    Last edited by Justin Stacks; July 31st, 2014 at 15:29.
    Present: ROLEX Hulk Submariner, Pepsi GMT 16750 & 2T Datejust 1601 * PANERAI Radiomir PAM183 * IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth * BREITLING Navitimer Olympus * SEIKO Orange Monster * TISSOT PRC200 * SWATCH '86 Lancelot

Past: BREITLING Super Avenger (Sold)
    * OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean XL (Sold) * SEVENFRIDAY P3-1 (Sold) * SEIKO Black Monster (Traded) & Fifty-Five Fathoms Mod (Sold) * HAMILTON '60 Masterpiece Thin-o-matic (Sold)

Hunting:
    AP RO 15400

The Grail (Someday): Patek Philippe Aquanaut

Time is too precious to measure with a cheap watch * The greatest luxury in life is time. Savour every second.

How about this?

- classy but versatile, check
    - chronograph, check
    - in-house movement, check
    - sapphire caseback, check
    - size 42 mm, check

Name:  1250715d1381731483-my-new-zenith-el-primero-36000-vph-wp_20131014_003_resize.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  288.4 KB
    (pic from https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/my-...ph-928199.html)
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Thread Information