Need a rec: Solar (preferably Atomic), sub-44mm, analog, not too garish

Thread: Need a rec: Solar (preferably Atomic), sub-44mm, analog, not too garish

Need a rec: Solar (preferably Atomic), sub-44mm, analog, not too garish

Hi. Haven't posted in a long time because I didn't want to get distracted from my current watch goal (which I'll get maybe middle/late this year). This place is terrible for saving money.

Anyway I just realized I need a reasonably sturdy Solar/auto-quartz/similar technology watch because when I go on adventures (backpacking here and there) I really don't want to bring my mechanicals and need something more reliable. I usually end up relying on my phone, and that's a bit of a hassle.

Requirements!
    1. Solar or some other tech that will require me to never change a battery. Or at least change it maybe twice in my life time.
    2. Preferably under 42mm. I know most of these kinds of watches are over 42mm but I have tiny wrists and prefer watches to be around 40mm.
    3. Analog. Ana-digi is fine as long as the digi is small and serves a real purpose. No mainly digi.
    4. Nothing too garish or crazy, I kinda like things simple. Though I am open to something colorful.
    5. More (useful) functions the better? But not to the point that it makes it confusing to look at
    6. Budget sub $1000, the cheaper the better
    7. I really really don't like bracelets so it either has to come on a rubber/leather or look fine on one
    8. Rec me something specific, because I've already looked at a lot of Casios/Gshocks/Seikos/Citizens. Real photos preferred over stock photos

From what I've looked at I like Casio Edifice watches the most (no particular model yet, will update if I find something I might like) and Gshocks the least because they hang awkwardly on my wrist.

If I can't find anything I like I guess I'll just save that money and keep pulling out my phone when I need the time. Thanks for the recs in advance.

Re: Need a rec: Solar (preferably Atomic), sub-44mm, analog, not too garish

Sounds like you want a Citizen AT8020-03L (stock photo):
    Name:  AT8020-03L_fullsize.png
Views: 543
Size:  311.2 KB

As usual with Citizen, they look better in person (mines a -54L on bracelet, but the watch itself is identical):
    Name:  _DSC3775 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  83.8 KB

There are lots of light effects going on there, it looks different every time you glance at it.

Features: atomic time, world time including half-hour timezones, perpetual calendar, chronograph, and a navigation slide rule

There are other AT80x0 models in various colours without the slide rule. They're all from $575 to $800 retail, a lot less if you get a good deal (mine was $480).

The only downside here is that it's 43 mm... but thin, and wears on the small side.

Citizen makes many fantastic watches matching your description. Their atomic series has several, well under 1000, excellent watches. I love my citizen atomic, and even with my smallish wrists, it wears amazing. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think a Seiko Attesa would be perfect for you, and quite affordable:

In the alternative, you might want to glance at Junghans.

The Speedmaster is the only thing we took to the Moon that had no modification whatsoever Ė it was right off the shelf. Whatís interesting about my first one is that itís beat up, itís never been cleaned, itís never been repaired and to this day I can take that watch and wind it and it keeps time as well as the day I got it. And Iíve walked in space with it for two and a half hours and worn it on the Moon for over three days.

Hmm, looking around for Attessas I stumbled upon the Seiko SBFT005, which I really really like. Kinda looks like a compressor case. I wish Seiko and Citizen websites were better; I'm sure they have something I like but hard to find the right model through their sites. Watchuseek always has better pictures :p

With entry level Seiko and Citizen, I just use an Amazon search for what I want. I did play with that Attesa, and another non-world time model in the store and they looked great. They looked more like something Citizen would make.

Thread Information