Need some advice asap!

Thread: Need some advice asap!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need some advice asap!

I recently started getting into the watch collecting and wanted a great first time buy to start off my collection. I am a little compulsive buyer so that is a problem i fix, however here is my situation.

I walked into a watch store (tourneau). Intending to purchase a watch. I was looking for the Breguet, Omega and Tag, figuring that these are the brands that stood out in my head. After I found out the Berguet was too much for my wallet, I started to look for a watch more in my price range i wanted to spend. As i was browsing, i stumbled upon.

www.tourneau.com .

it is a Tourneau Certified Chronograph: Classic 1900 series,

Additional Features Certified Swiss Chronometer
    Bezel Material 18kt rose gold
    Bracelet / Strap Camille Fornet matte brown Louisiana alligator strap
    Case 18kt rose gold
    Case Back Sapphire exhibition
    Case Diameter 38 mm
    Clasp Type 18kt rose gold buckle
    Complications Chronograph, day, date, month, moonphase
    Crown Screw-down
    Crystal Sapphire
    Dial Color Ivory porcelain lacquer and silver subdials
    Movement Valjoux 7751 soigne
    Series Classic 1900
    Size Large
    Water Resistant 50 meters

I loved it so much and the way it looked so i purchased it. However, with my ignorance, i decided to do some research after I bought the watch. Now i find that many people in the collecting community do not agree with the Tourneau brand of watch. I need some serious advice on the watch and if i should keep it because i will immediately go back tot eh store and get a better watch if needed tommorrow.

Please hold your comments on your personal preference on a brand of watch. When i walked into the store, I was looking for the Movement of a watch and the quality of the watch itself, Which i thought i was getting a good deal altogether.

Is it a keeper? And again please hold your comments on if you have any prior experiances that you might have felt toward this brand and store. I have heard of a lot of bad things. But nothing in relation to their Classic 1900 serious watches. Did i get ripped off? Should I go with more of a Omega, tag to start off? Maybe IWC?

Re: Need some advice asap!

If you enjoy the watch and the exclusivity with owning something that not many people have, then you made the right choice. It doesn't matter what people think about the watch you wear. If you like it, wear it, enjoy it.
    Lots of dive watches.

Thx Eric.

I was on the Rolex forums, they were trashing Tourneau and how poorly made the watch is. Overall, it is the quatlity of the watch made in my personal opinion. I could have gone with a brand that everyone agrees with it but too me brand isn't an issue. However, if this brand of watch is poorly made, then having it in my collection is now what I would want all together. I rather return it all together than anything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by danielt1981 View Post
    Thx Eric.

I was on the Rolex forums, they were trashing Tourneau and how poorly made the watch is. Overall, it is the quatlity of the watch made in my personal opinion. I could have gone with a brand that everyone agrees with it but too me brand isn't an issue. However, if this brand of watch is poorly made, then having it in my collection is now what I would want all together. I rather return it all together than anything.
    And how does one judge quality? By what *other people* tell you? Or by *your own* experience with it? I prefer to go with the latter. Forget about the naysayers, if you like it, wear it and enjoy owning a unique timepiece that tells the time with a little flair.
    Lots of dive watches.

Well the question I have is, is the brand that important. I been looking and online for awhile and it shows. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by danielt1981 View Post
    Well the question I have is, is the brand that important. I been looking and online for awhile and it shows. LOL.
    I guess if you care about what other people think about what you are wearing on the wrist, then obviously the better known brands carry more public prestige. But otherwise, I think the criteria of finding a watch that you like (and not something that other people like but you think is just "okay") is more important.
    Lots of dive watches.

I can see that you are absolutlely right Eric. I mean I feel that there are certain things you have too look out for overall. When I'm looking at the actual spec's of these so-called great watches, My watch over exceeds some of them by the making and complications of the watch alone. Which from what i was told, it is the complications that make the watch and what you want to truely invest in. What gets me and the reason why i may go back is that one of the reasons for me getting a tourneau is the resale value is very good with the store. Obvious. however, after thinking, I would never sell my old watches because they are a keepsake.

On the Rolex Forum, I saw no posts. If your really having buyers remorse,
    you just have 7 days to return it from date of purchase.

I don't know much about this particular watch, but if I'm correct it looks like it is listed at around $8k on their webpage. Honestly, I think you could get a lot more bang for your buck with another brand. (Although I guess $8k for a rose gold watch with a few complications isn't a bad price.) And not to say anything bad about Tourneau, but in my experience you can usually do much better price-wise buying from a smaller authorized dealer. I go to Tourneau often to try on different watches, but I've never bought from there, nor do I really see any reason to.

This is a tough one...if you are really in love with this watch, then you made the right choice. If you got something else just because other people hold it in higher regard, you would always really want this Tourneau watch. That would just be silly.

However, it sounds like you really didn't do A LOT of research before making this purchase. In my opinion, it is really important to do a TON of research before making a watch purchase, especially one that costs this much.

Will they allow you to get a full refund? It sounds a bit like you made an impulse buy. If I were you, and you can get a refund, I would return the watch and do a ton of research online and more importantly trying on MANY MANY different watches at Tourneau and other places. Make sure that you make an informed decision. You could always end up buying this same Tourneau watch afterwards, but at least you will KNOW that you like this watch over other options.

If you would like me to recommend other watches I'd need to know a bit more about what you want. Do you definitely want a chrono? Do you definitely want it to be rose gold? A gold IWC would probably be out of your price range. There are some great Omega options. If you can, try to say a bit more about what's most important to you...complications, metal, etc.

If you love the watch keep it and enjoy it. If you are worried about resale value, return it and get a Rolex.

For every feature of a watch you enjoy you can find someone on some forum that finds it a flaw.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information