Need some advice buying my first watch
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need some advice buying my first watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some advice buying my first watch

Having owned only quarz watches, which were all gifts until now, I'm looking to buy a watch for myself.
    I read a lot about watches in the last couple of weeks and would like to buy an automatic watch with a chronograph complication. On the job I have to use a chronograph on a daily basis as we are not allowed to use multimedia devices for security reasons.
    I have quite a small wrist so I'm looking for a 38-40mm case (maby 42mm if I really fall in love with a model that size) which limits my choices quite a bit.
    I quite like "all black" models (it's not a must, something silver colored with a black dial could work for me too), the Hamilton Khaki Field Auto Chrono was my favorite, but it has no seconds hand which makes it useless to me.
    The Eterna Royal Kontiki chronograph "flyback" is also something I like looks wise, but it's too big and too expensive.
    Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry Vintage Mechanical Chronograph looks good too, but at 44mm it's too big.
    Maby you guys could help me with some brands or models I could look into who make 38-40 automatic chronometer's.
    My budget is 2000 euro max. as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something more expensive to work on a daily basis. New or used doesn't matter.

Re: Need some advice buying my first watch

Under 40mm black chrono under 2k pretty much means quartz.

Last edited by yankeexpress; November 17th, 2017 at 09:21.

Last edited by yankeexpress; November 17th, 2017 at 09:28.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pre-owned Omega Speedmaster Reduced Automatic. 39mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulova Murren Accu-Swiss chrono 65c115, automatic Sellita SW500.

Last edited by yankeexpress; November 17th, 2017 at 09:32.
    obomomomo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ABaumie View Post
    Having owned only quarz watches, which were all gifts until now, I'm looking to buy a watch for myself.
    I read a lot about watches in the last couple of weeks and would like to buy an automatic watch with a chronograph complication. On the job I have to use a chronograph on a daily basis as we are not allowed to use multimedia devices for security reasons.
    I have quite a small wrist so I'm looking for a 38-40mm case (maby 42mm if I really fall in love with a model that size) which limits my choices quite a bit.
    I quite like "all black" models (it's not a must, something silver colored with a black dial could work for me too), the Hamilton Khaki Field Auto Chrono was my favorite, but it has no seconds hand which makes it useless to me.
    The Eterna Royal Kontiki chronograph "flyback" is also something I like looks wise, but it's too big and too expensive.
    Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry Vintage Mechanical Chronograph looks good too, but at 44mm it's too big.
    Maby you guys could help me with some brands or models I could look into who make 38-40 automatic chronometer's.
    My budget is 2000 euro max. as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something more expensive to work on a daily basis. New or used doesn't matter.
    If you can live with a SS case, the 38mm Longines Master Collection Chronograph is about $1700 US from a GM dealer. Movement is the "Longines Calibre L651" which is the chrono version of the ETA 2894-A2. Since it's not the typical Valjoux 7750 that you find in most inexpensive chronos, they were able to do a pretty impressive 12mm case height. 7750 based chronos are typically more like 14mm. You could always have the case cerakoted if you want to make it black, that's not all that expensive to do. Getting a watch DLC coated on the other hand is insanely expensive.

As far as used options go, I'm a fan of the B&M Capeland MV045216, which is a very reasonable 39mm x 46mm L2L

Personally, I would not rely on an autochrono on the job.

I use my Seagull with ST19 movement for fun sometimes at work, but always have a digital backup.

I sometimes use a quartz analog chrono, but find it a little cumbersome. I can see where it would be better than lugging a digital stopwatch around, but not for me and not usually.

Maybe a quartz anidigi would give you precision, convenience, looks, and reliability? In your price range:
    -used Breitling Aerospace
    -Citizen with awesome features like radio controlled
    -Tissot T-Touch
    -Hamilton Flight Timer
    -MTM Special Ops

My usual approach...

At 41mm and $1,660 (WatchBuys), the new Fortis Aviatis Pilot Classic night sneak in to the conversation. I’m not sure if they offer a PVD/black case, but for what it’s worth I suspect stainless may serve you better in the long run...
    Attached Images Attached Images

crimper2000 likes this.

Sinn 356

Name:  CC3D9881-2D1B-4730-9645-BC57421B7B0B.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  48.6 KB
    tritto likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information