Need some Advice! Cartier Calibre Blue Diver versus Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape Blue Ceramic
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Need some Advice! Cartier Calibre Blue Diver versus Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape Blue Ceramic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some Advice! Cartier Calibre Blue Diver versus Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape Blue Ceramic

Hi WUS!

In the next 3-4months or so, Iíll be looking to add a new piece to the collection. I know this is a ways out, but I take a considerably long time before deciding to spend additional funds on a new watch (Trades are different donít ask me why ). I was initially looking for a Rolex Milgauss, and as much as I love this model, I see them quite often where I live, and I donít really ďNEEDĒ something that dressy as I primarily wear jeans to the office.

I was looking for something with great wrist presence, not a black dial (Iím currently a little oversaturated here) and definitely something I wouldnít see everyday in Greenville, SC. A white or blue dial is what Iím missing. Tried on a Zenith El Primero today and didnít fall in love with it as much as Iíd hope. Tried these 2 on, and was blown away! Wife really love the Cartier, and Iím torn as I love things about both models. Thoughts? Any other things in this class I should be considering? Went to an a few ADs to get some ideas, and had to drive to Charlotte and visit a couple to narrow it down too these two. Iíd consider buying used, GM, or AD. Need some input on the decision, or some other ideas I might have not considered. Just Incase my signature doesnít post, I currently have an IWC pilot Chrono, Tudor Heritage Chrono, Vulcain Cricket, and an Omega Speedy MKII vintage. Not really into Breitling anymore, as I see one every other day here. Thanks for the help! Here are the pics I took at the AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IWC 3777-10/ Rolex Explorer II 16570/ Tag Monaco Calibre 12/ Longines Heritage Conquest/ Vintage Omega Speedmaster MK II / Baume & Mercier Capeland/ vintage Tag Heuer Professional 1000 Diver/ Apple Watch Series 3 Nike

Previously owned (Most Notable, not all): Omega Seamaster Chrono, Omega Seamaster PO, Omega Speedmaster Panda, Rolex Submariner, Bremont Supermarine s500 Blue, Ball Spacemaster Hydrocarbon, Ball Stormchaser, Ball Madcow, Bell & Ross BR126, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Hamilton Khaki King Pilot, Hamilton Pilot Pioneer Chrono, Hamilton Pan Europ, Tissot Seastar, Tag Carerra CV2010, Perrelet Seacraft Blue, Ball Master Engineer II, Sturhling Tourbillon Grand Emperor,

Re: Need some Advice! Cartier Calibre Blue Diver versus Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape Blue Cera

2 really nice options. FF is the forum favorite, so I predict it will be the big winner here, but Iíve seen that Cartier in person and itís impressive.

Iíd probably lean FF here, mainly because I donít love the mix of Roman and Arabic numerals on the Cartier, but I do like them both.

Also, Iíd consider Rolex options as well in this price range - Hulk sub, or blue, white or silver Datejust would give you several good non-black options

jimiwilli likes this.

Re: Need some Advice! Cartier Calibre Blue Diver versus Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscape Blue Cera

Quote Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
    2 really nice options. FF is the forum favorite, so I predict it will be the big winner here, but Iíve seen that Cartier in person and itís impressive.

Iíd probably lean FF here, mainly because I donít love the mix of Roman and Arabic numerals on the Cartier, but I do like them both.

Also, Iíd consider Rolex options as well in this price range - Hulk sub, or blue, white or silver Datejust would give you several good non-black options

Thanks for the reply! If I had one complaint about the Cartier, it was that. It was an extremely comfortable watch, and the way the lugs curve makes it very wearable.

Iíve owned a Sub before, and I found myself having a hard time bonding with it. The Datejust is a little too dressy for me.

IWC 3777-10/ Rolex Explorer II 16570/ Tag Monaco Calibre 12/ Longines Heritage Conquest/ Vintage Omega Speedmaster MK II / Baume & Mercier Capeland/ vintage Tag Heuer Professional 1000 Diver/ Apple Watch Series 3 Nike

Previously owned (Most Notable, not all): Omega Seamaster Chrono, Omega Seamaster PO, Omega Speedmaster Panda, Rolex Submariner, Bremont Supermarine s500 Blue, Ball Spacemaster Hydrocarbon, Ball Stormchaser, Ball Madcow, Bell & Ross BR126, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Hamilton Khaki King Pilot, Hamilton Pilot Pioneer Chrono, Hamilton Pan Europ, Tissot Seastar, Tag Carerra CV2010, Perrelet Seacraft Blue, Ball Master Engineer II, Sturhling Tourbillon Grand Emperor,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I actually really like the calibre diver. It's a proper dive watch with a totally unique look to it, and it wears quite comfortably.

The 4:30 date on the FFB ruins the watch for me. The dial is too beautiful to suffer that flaw...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UberDave; November 15th, 2017 at 05:22.
    jimiwilli likes this.
    A. Lange & SŲhne 1815 Annual Calendar | GlashŁtte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

The Cartier is well made (I love the brand), but I think the movement specs in the BP are well above that of the in-house Cartier. Romans are a personal taste, but my personal pet peeve with divers are sub second dials, which means I can’t use the bezel as a makeshift stopwatch in a pinch. Also you would not get to experience the sweet NATO that you can get on the BP.
    jimiwilli likes this.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Honestly, while i have ordered the Blancpain because of its history (I am a diver), I think the Cartier is a far interesting watch if you are looking for something for daily wear and not as a pure tool watch.

Cartier's design experience shines through there - it is a fairly complicated dial, as far as divers go, but Cartier has managed to put all the design elements together really well while retaining their house signature (they doesnt make tool watches, so if you want a watch for timing stuff, this is not it. They make elegant/classy watches).

The case and dial work, the larger-than-normal Roman numerals and the larger date slot all take what is normally a "tool watch" look and makes it look a lot more elegant/classy than a typical diver, but without losing that basic undertone of sportiness.

I am a HUGE fan of the new Cartiers, FWIW. I have the new Santos and could be just as happy with both this diver or with the regular Calibre de Cartier, or the new Drive Ultrathins.
    Last edited by vkalia; November 15th, 2017 at 10:33.
    jimiwilli and UberDave like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Obviously it is a wrong Blancpain FF to go after.

Name:  0AA8D9F1-6749-4B63-89D4-057D1E8AC281.jpeg
Views: 361
Size:  35.0 KB

I've not seen either of these in person and don't particularly like either in these pictures. However, I think the Cartier is a design mess, and the BP a nice, if over conservative, option. Things I don't like on the Cartier:

1. The mix of fonts from the bezel to the dial. Looks like they installed the wrong bezel on the watch.
    2. The date window is bad. A date window can be a distraction on a lot of dials, and making it three times the size doesn't help.
    3. Again, the date window-- three times the size and in black.
    4. The whole effect looks like someone's first attempt at modding an SKX.
    jimiwilli likes this.

I would go with the WhitePain. But don't mess around, get the "50th Anniversary" !
    jimiwilli likes this.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Blancpain hands down
    jimiwilli likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information