Need some advice and expertise please. gladly appreciate it.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need some advice and expertise please. gladly appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some advice and expertise please. gladly appreciate it.

what model is this and what year?

I would like to check if this is Authentic please?

Does this have a reference or serial number?

Is this Solid Gold or Gold plated?

How much would it be worth?

Is this Automatic or Manual?

What Kinda movement?

How old would this piece roughly be?

Would (467 to 507 USD) or (303 to 327 Pounds) be worth it

Many Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need some advice and expertise please. gladly appreciate it.

You won't get a valuation here, that's against site rules - sorry :)

I'm not an expert on these Omegas, so I can't comment on the dial or model, but I know the movement, and it's an Omega 267 that looks genuine to me. It's a manual wind (with a 43 hr power reserve) and it was made some time between 1939 and 1963, although it looks mid-late 50s to me.

I don't know anything about this particular model, but its style is consistent with the movement so it's probably not some horrible franken.

This movement and its family members were used in a lot of different models, so it doesn't provide too many clues on tits own, but you should see a reference number on the inside of the caseback (which seems to be original).

As for material, I'd be very surprised if it's solid gold, but I'm not sure so I don't want to overstep my knowledge. Again, the inside of the caseback will tell you everything you need to know.

That's all I've got for you, I'll leave the rest to the experts!
    Last edited by talljosh; October 19th, 2015 at 17:12.

This watch is probably from the late 1940's. As many older models, there isn't much to go on for a model #. This one's is made for the market in England. Can tell by the .375 hallmark. It is solid 9ct gold, which mainly associates it with the UK. The case was not made by Omega, probably licensed by Omega to Dennison (they made a lot of UK gold watch cases). Everything looks authentic/original.

"value" depends on a lot and is hard to judge on pictures alone. If it needs to be serviced, that can cost up to $250 for a manual wind movement (what you got). If your the prospective buyer, look at eBay sold listings (advanced search, Omega 9ct gold watch, sold listings) (I found 138 listings )to get an idea what you should be expected to pay or sell for (look for similar styles and condition).
    talljosh and rfortson like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Yikes! No wonder wikipedia has so much garbage. Anyone can say anything they want to.

Does the 8-digit serial # on the movement begin with '17'? (it's kinda fuzzy on my screen). If so, the movement was made in 1960:

Omega Serial Numbers By Year...

You can search on the caliber 267 on the vintage database on the Omega website:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-o...itage/vintage/

and see that it wasn't made until 1956. You can see what models it was inserted into at Omega, but ST is correct in saying that Omega shipped movements that indy case makers installed in their own cases. The lug hallmark, to my knowledge, was not used by Omega. An Omega case would have the gold content hallmark inside the case back. I'd agree that this one suggests an indy casemaker. On the inside of the case back, you will find the reference (model) # if the case was manufactured by Omega, or a case serial # (different from movement serial #) if by an indy.

Looking through your questions: it's an Omega caliber 267, manufactured in 1960, in a case manufactured then or shortly thereafter, the case is 9kt gold (solid; plate doesn't get hallmarked), the movement is manual. Value depends on whether it runs and today's spot price for gold.

$250 for proper service is VERY low. Omega shows that caliber @ $925 and up. $250 is far less than any professional watchmaker I know would charge to work on an antique Omega. If your guy is any good treat him right- he's giving you great prices!

If it needs to be serviced, that can cost up to $250 for a manual wind movement (what you got).
    Last edited by TheWatchmaker; October 19th, 2015 at 20:12.

You won't get a valuation here, that's against site rules - sorry
    While members may provide their opinions as to the value of a watch, these are purely their opinions and do not represent WUS.
    I wonder if the people who keep saying this have ever actually read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchmaker View Post
    $250 for proper service is VERY low. Omega shows that caliber @ $925 and up. $250 is far less than any professional watchmaker I know would charge to work on an antique Omega. If your guy is any good treat him right- he's giving you great prices!

If it needs to be serviced, that can cost up to $250 for a manual wind movement (what you got).
    Manual movements are fairly easy to service (unless parts need to be sourced). Your being ripped off if you need to pay $925. My most recent service, a 1950 longines, cost me $100 for cleaning and service.
    rfortson likes this.

A watchmaker working that cheap is hurting himself, if his work is any good he's charging way below what he ought to. Not saying he's not a great watchmaker, but he's charging 1980s prices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheWatchmaker; October 23rd, 2015 at 17:26.

A little more thoughts on that; obviously it depends on where the watchmaker is too. If he/she is operating out of a home as a sideline, $100 might make sense. I'm a musician at night, I drag all my gear and drive 50 miles and play for 4 hours for pocket change. It's fun, it's my hobby. If I were a musician for a living I'd need a few hundred dollars for that. A watchmaker that repairs a vintage watch for a hundred bucks who is running a business and doing this for a living can't possibly be using modern tools in a modern shop. I'm not saying he can't do a good job, but the numbers just don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchmaker View Post
    A little more thoughts on that; obviously it depends on where the watchmaker is too. If he/she is operating out of a home as a sideline, $100 might make sense. I'm a musician at night, I drag all my gear and drive 50 miles and play for 4 hours for pocket change. It's fun, it's my hobby. If I were a musician for a living I'd need a few hundred dollars for that. A watchmaker that repairs a vintage watch for a hundred bucks who is running a business and doing this for a living can't possibly be using modern tools in a modern shop. I'm not saying he can't do a good job, but the numbers just don't add up.
    I too, am a musician at night and know exactly what you mean. We play for the fun of it but really, haul in, perform then haul out for a total of probably 4 hours maybe more, for $50 bucks each? The waitstaff makes way more than we do and it only took them about 2 days to learn the basics of their job. Please don't misunderstand my comments about waitstaff, I'm not complaining, they have a very difficult job and should be compensated for having to deal with the public but measured in how long it takes to be able to perform, there's no comparison.

Anyway, my local watchmaker quoted me around $250 to service, clean and adjust my Bulova SS. He said, if its running ok and keeping good time, which it is, don't bother. I can appreciate the skill level it must take to do mechanical watch repairs, I love mechanical things, cars being one so I understand the challenges of working on machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information