Need some help/advice Re Seiko 6138

Thread: Need some help/advice Re Seiko 6138

Need some help/advice Re Seiko 6138

Hi guys,

Ireally want to buy a Seiko 6138 watch, but buying vintage scares me a bit. There are several 6138s currently on eBay, ranging from around $200 up toa gorgeous blue one priced above $1K. Many have repainted hands andafter-market dials. How good are those? Anyone has any experiencewith these?

BTW,regarding maintenance, being vintage watches, I'm pretty sure that those willneed some fixes. Do you think that spare parts for that movement arecommon enough or are they a problem to find? Other issues that I should take into account?

Thanks.

Re: Need some help/advice Re Seiko 6138

You will get better responses if you re-post this in either the "Seiko/Citizen" or "Pocket watch and Vintage" section of this forum.

Your question is pretty specific so you might get more detailed answers in one or both of those forums.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I doubt that there is anything wrong with a 6138 that Spencer Klein of Klein Vintage Watch repair can't fix, and at a reasonable cost.

Here is a video of what he found in my 6139 earlier this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLF6...vKFIoDpIzy8WfA

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Timely thread Darth, I actually was also looking at 6139s. From what I read it's getting very difficult to source replacement parts as well. It also looks like substantial research will be needed to make sure you don't get ripped off. From a thread I recently posted on the Seiko forum:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/sei...ml#post7537744
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Thank you. I'm very scared of getting a lemon and don't want to spend hundreds just to fix a watch of this kind. That kind of money would be better spent on a new watch.

Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVedder View Post
    Hi guys,

Ireally want to buy a Seiko 6138 watch, but buying vintage scares me a bit. There are several 6138s currently on eBay, ranging from around $200 up toa gorgeous blue one priced above $1K. Many have repainted hands andafter-market dials. How good are those? Anyone has any experiencewith these?

BTW,regarding maintenance, being vintage watches, I'm pretty sure that those willneed some fixes. Do you think that spare parts for that movement arecommon enough or are they a problem to find? Other issues that I should take into account?

Thanks.

I tend to stay away from the aftermarket dial and hands ones as I feel the dial is the "soul" of the watch. Be careful of the ones coming out of the phillipines and if you buy one for around $200, most likely you will have to spend $400 to get it running right. Feel free to PM me ones you are considering and I can offer you some advice. Regarding parts, I have been collecting 6138 parts for years. Check out the 6138 build thread in my signature.

cheers, Mike
    Chronographe Suisse 18k Rose gold, Citizen NH6934-08FB "Autozilla"SOLD, JaegerLeCoultre Master Calendar, Omega: WWII 30T2, Constellation "C" 168.0019SSOLD, Speedmaster "Mark4.5" 176.0012SOLD, Rolex Submariner 16610 STOLEN serial Y862966, Seiko: 6138-0011 "UFO" Speedtimer, 6138-0040 "Bullhead" Speedtimer, 7016-5001 "Monaco", SKX007J Diver 200m, SAEH007 Ananta Chronograph, SBBN013 "Darth Tuna" Marinemaster,SBBN015 Tuna, Steinhart Racetimer brownSOLD, Titoni: Cosmo King Day/date, Airmaster
    Grail: Mint, unpolished Seiko 6138-0040 "Bullhead" Speedtimer 5 Sport UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/gra...ad-944573.html

Watches............the only place where COMPLICATIONS are a GOOD THING!!

Thread Information