Need some help Identifying a LAVINA, Watch, Pocket watch or Travel Clock with Alarm??? Help Please..

Thread: Need some help Identifying a LAVINA, Watch, Pocket watch or Travel Clock with Alarm??? Help Please..

Need some help Identifying a LAVINA, Watch, Pocket watch or Travel Clock with Alarm??? Help Please..

Name:  DSC04246.JPG
Views: 1186
Size:  746.6 KBNeed some help Identifying a LAVINA, Watch, Pocket watch or Travel Clock with Alarm??? Help Please..

Hi all, I'm a newbie and hope I'm posting in the right place. Anyway's, bought what I think is a pocket watch, at an Estate Sale and its confusing the heck at out me because after a closer look, I've never seen anything like it before. It has two stems, one to wind and set the watch and the other to wind and set the alarm. Name:  DSC04249.JPG
Views: 1072
Size:  750.1 KBName:  DSC04253.JPG
Views: 1084
Size:  976.4 KB The markings on the back just say Swiss 35-185 and on the front, Lavina & Swiss Made.

I can't figure out how to open it and won't even try anymore but I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some information on what exactly I have and if its worth much. I understand, no appraisals, but just an idea on value would help but most importantly, time period and identification.

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by kypo; August 21st, 2012 at 04:18. Reason: Needed to add a picture

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Need some help Identifying a LAVINA, Watch, Pocket watch or Travel Clock with Alarm??? Help Plea

Looks like a typical wrist alarm watch vonverted into a desk watch in the 70ties. A lot of manufacturers did these convesions, Stowa would be a good example to look at.
    As far as I can see yours got a snap-on back. Just get a watchmaker's knife and open it up (carefully, don't scratch it). Take a pic of the movement and we can tell you what you got.
    Worth: Not much, sentimental value.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Need some help Identifying a LAVINA, Watch, Pocket watch or Travel Clock with Alarm??? Help Plea

Thanks for the response Mike.

The only part that comes off is the crystal from the front. I tried the knife on the back and after putting it under a microscope, it seems that there is no where to open it from the back. The case back is two toned, silver in the center and gold as it flatten out. The overlapping ring holding it in place is welded on and can't be removed. The attached hoop is also welded on and opens as if it goes on a key chain or may be used a stand. I really don't know what to make of it and may have been customized but can you explain the thing sticking out of the back? Do you think its some kind of guide which allows the movement to be placed from the front?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kypo View Post
    but can you explain the thing sticking out of the back? Do you think its some kind of guide which allows the movement to be placed from the front?
    If you mean the little bump on the caseback; that is the back end of the 'anvil' for the alarm. It is a short stud that has been installed through the caseback and smoothed off, making it more durable than if it was welded to the inside of the back.

The accurate positioning of this stud when refitting the back is critical to the sounding of the alarm. Worth considering if you are serious about getting a photo of the inside. However I'd be willing to bet that the movement is an A.Schild AS1475 or something of that family.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

A. Schild was my guess too.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information