Need some help/suggestions
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need some help/suggestions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Need some help/suggestions

Good Evening guys,

I'm not entirely sure as to which subsection of the forum to post it on, so i went with the public forum. Can't go wrong there, right?

Anyways, I'm 23 years old and am currently studying , I've recently come into a little bit of extra money. I'm looking to purchase a swiss automatic watch that costs below 700USD or 1000SGD. I'm looking to so-called 'invest' in a piece and am open to suggestions. I've had a couple watches before (100-200 bucks range) but i prefer to get one and hold on to it for a couple years(before i can afford a patek philippe[ambitious.. i know]).The piece I'm currently eyeing is Tissot's T085.427.16.013.00

I only have 1 criteria, which is that it must be above 40mm in diameter(i have large hands/wrists). I'd really love it if there isn't a chronograph, so i can admire the beautiful movement of the second-hand as well(and not let it sit in its place, unless i use the stopwatch feature). Although, it seems quite tough to find one that is over 40mm in diameter that doesn't have complications.

Also, I keep hearing that it's best to get a watch with its accompanying SS bracelet, since it's relatively easier to get a generic leather strap compared to finding a metal bracelet that can fit nicely. With that being said, I do intend to replace the strap/bracelet with a full coloured black/dark blue nylon NATO strap. I live in a really humid/hot country and with the nylon strap, i suppose i can simply wash it.

So yeah, that's about it. I'd really love to hear your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'd probably be making a purchase, some time in december.. Trying to capitalise on christmas/year-end sales and whatnot.. Haha.

Re: Need some help/suggestions

Welcome!
    Do not think about "investing" in watches.
    As for options size wise I think something of a Pilot/ Diver type. Those watches are a bit bigger.
    But I saw the Tissot you like so maybe a "Marine"/"Deckwatch" watch for you.
    Brands like Steinhart, Chris Ward and Archimede offer nice quality watches for under 1000USD.

Steinhart 44mm and under 500euros
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/MA...Roman,792.html

Name:  758364386MC44R_gold_01.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  DeckWatch-family12.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  93.7 KB
    http://www.archimede-uhren.de/uhren/...deckwatch.html

Last edited by MisterHo; October 18th, 2015 at 11:15.
    sumanbhadra likes this.
    #14 and D10S Forever. Grącies and R.I.P Johan.

Quote Originally Posted by unhomie View Post
    Although, it seems quite tough to find one that is over 40mm in diameter that doesn't have complications
    Not sure what you mean by this. Anyway, investing in watches is a sure fire way to lose. I'd go used and check out the Singapore Trading Pits. There are a lot of enthusiasts in SG, who tend to flip nice pieces just like the rest of us WIS nut jobs around the world.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

FWIW I think the "so-called" before 'invest' in the OP means he knows it's not going to be a good financial investment, just a turn of phrase.

Anyway, OP - do you have any watches you like the general look of (including size and price)? It will give us an idea of the general style you are going for and it will help to narrow down the suggestions.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    FWIW I think the "so-called" before 'invest' in the OP means he knows it's not going to be a good financial investment, just a turn of phrase.

Anyway, OP - do you have any watches you like the general look of (including size and price)? It will give us an idea of the general style you are going for and it will help to narrow down the suggestions.

Hey, in essence, i'm looking for a Tissot Le Locle (Ref: T41.1.423.33) that is around 42-44mm in diameters. 39mm really looks tiny on my wrist, is all.. And by invest, i mean, get a decent watch that can last me for 5-6 years. My previous cheaper ones tend to rust at the edges, etc. That's why i'm hoping to find a good quality one.

Just to understand better, are you looking for a "dressy" watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a nice looking watch to wear everyday. It being 'dressy' wouldn't hurt, i guess?

Tissot and Hamilton has some dressy watches at 41-42mm

As you seem to be leaning towards Tissot I can confirm that they make a good watch. Look at Seiko too as they are very nice.

At 23 I would save your money, you have plenty of time to spend it on way more important things other than a watch..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information