Need suggestions on watch for gf

Thread: Need suggestions on watch for gf

Need suggestions on watch for gf

Hi all,

Wondering if you guys can suggest some watches for my girlfriend. Unfortunately while my knowledge of men's watches is still rather limited, my knowledge of ladies' watches is almost nonexistent. She's looking for something classy in all gold, with diamonds (real or fake) and obviously good quality. Quartz preferred.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

Cheers,
    Adam

stuffler,mike

Re: Need suggestions on watch for gf

Well, if a Cartier isn´t an option, what about GO or A. Lange & Söhne

or a Ladies Breitling Colt with diamond bezel, or a Tissot Diamonds Dreams T Round I, Ladies Tissot Diamond T-Tank, or get her a fashion watch (Armani, DK, cK, Fossil, M&M).

Longines and Baume & Mercier would be a good place to start, plus Ebel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm no expert but in my opinion quartz is a very bad buy for a watch costing a good sum of money and which you might reasonably hope will last a lifetime. And here's why:

I believe that the mass High Street market will eventually buy fewer and fewer watches requiring a battery. This is because models such as Citizen's Eco Drive and Seiko's Kinetic ranges will eventually dominate. Watches with batteries are an absolute pain and you can guarantee that the battery will fail just when you're miles from the nearest facility and when you really need your watch.

As the sales of battery-driven quartz watches declines, the battery manufacturers will cease production of batteries that have declining numbers. I have seen this happen in my own industry, the photographic trade, where many cameras are unusable because batteries are no longer available. Even if you find a suitable Eco Drive or Kinetic watch for your girl friend, its rechargeable battery or capacitor will have a limited life of less than ten years.

It is my opinion that many quartz watches sold in the last ten years will be unusable in another ten, or less, when you can no longer buy a battery. This is no problem with watches costing 20 or even 50 Euros but anyone buying an expensive watch will not wish to dispose of it in a few years when it's still capable of working perfectly but cannot be powered.

I would recommend a good mechanical watch, in particular a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso in steel or gold according to your budget. I would also recommend the men's version as it's so small that it could easily suit a lady.

I know this for a fact as I bought a gold JLC Reverso a year or so ago and am considering giving it to my daughter when she is 21 in a few months' time. I shall have her initials engraved on the rear of the watch and if she then flips it over it will double as a very nice piece of jewellery.

Look at them here: http://www.jaegerlecoultre.com/
    Last edited by Frank Wilkinson; July 22nd, 2006 at 21:55.

Thanks for the input guys. I think JLC are a little out of my price range though :) My apologies for not mentioning that in my post. I'd be limited to say, up to $1,000 US at most.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC
    Thanks for the input guys. I think JLC are a little out of my price range though :) My apologies for not mentioning that in my post. I'd be limited to say, up to $1,000 US at most.
    Ok, T I S S O T or fashion watches !

Thread Information