Need a watch, ~$300, simple with power reserve w/ opt. visible movement, not homages/parnis/seagull
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Need a watch, ~$300, simple with power reserve w/ opt. visible movement, not homages/parnis/seagull

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Need a watch, ~$300, simple with power reserve w/ opt. visible movement, not homages/parnis/seagull

Hi guys! This is my first post.

I've been wearing a Timex Weekender for a while. I'm a dirt poor college student. But this Christmas, I saved up a bit of money, and I want to spend it on buying a decent watch that'll last me a while.

So I've done a bit of research, been to a lot of pawn shops, goodwills, and have seen a couple decent but broken watches. I have no experience with watches, and I don't know how much I'll pay alltogether if I buy a broken $300 Omega and get it repaired.

I want a clean faced watch with a power reserve, because I think they're really cool. I'm going to get a leather band for the watch, if it comes in a bracelet. I used to have a Seiko Quartz but didn't like wearing it, because it was very cluttered. I don't need a hand measuring in between seconds, nor an analog stop watch built into my watch.

I've picked a couple designs that I really, really like.

Orient Millennium and Orient Vintage
    Name:  cfd0e001w-1.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  66.1 KBName:  FFD0F001W_MED.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  27.8 KB

This one is my favorite, but I can't afford it. I might just save another year and buy it instead of buying any other watches, though.

Name:  h32519555-big5.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  181.8 KB

Obviously my research is limited. I like the Orient, but my favorite is Hamilton. I think I like the watches because of the texture on the face, and their clean designs. Orient would be staying under my budget and having some room, and Hamilton I'll have to save another year for. I'm wondering if there's a watch that I'd like that I missed. I don't mind going up to $500, but from $600 it'd mean I have to eat ramen for a couple months.

Thank you!
    CitizenM and maxpowerman like this.

Re: Need a watch, ~$300, simple with power reserve w/ opt. visible movement, not homages/parnis/seag

Those Orients are beautiful. Orient makes absolutely the best entry level automatics in my opinion.

The Hamilton is nice as well. I think Tissot and Mido also have some variations you should check out and see if you can do better price wise.

With those ETA watches, you'll get hacking (stop-seconds) and handwinding as well, which are nice. Also the seconds hand movement will be smoother.

But I hear about much better accuracy from Orients. Mine is like, under a couple seconds a week.

Re: Need a watch, ~$300, simple with power reserve w/ opt. visible movement, not homages/parnis/seag

A lot of the entry-level Orients hand-wind and hack now too. I'm not actually sure if there's anything left that doesn't.

OP, don't settle for what you can afford now. Keep your Weekender and get what you really want first. Do more research. If I had followed this advice I would only have about three watches and would have spent less than half of what I have on my collection.
    CitizenM likes this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    A lot of the entry-level Orients hand-wind and hack now too. I'm not actually sure if there's anything left that doesn't.

OP, don't settle for what you can afford now. Keep your Weekender and get what you really want first. Do more research. If I had followed this advice I would only have about three watches and would have spent less than half of what I have on my collection.
    He has a point. Alternatively, you can buy used and take the resale value hit out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post

Yes, but after lurking the forum for a few days, I want to get my hands on a watch that I can enjoy! I like the Orient a lot, and I like the Hamilton a lot. I feel like the Hamilton will be timeless, whereas the Orient, even if I give it to my nephew, they won't be as impressed since it's just an Orient.

That's why I was wondering if I could go a bit higher and get a watch with more identity.

Also, what is ETA and hacking?
    CitizenM likes this.

ETA is either referencing the company that makes the ETA line of movements, or the ETA movement itself. It's a Swiss movement and there are many different kinds of ETA movements, some more expensive than others. It'll be pretty hard to find an ETA for under $500. Hacking means the second hand stops when you pull out the crown, allowing you to set your watch to the exact second. Many entry level movements don't have this feature.
    CitizenM and var like this.

Also, have you seen the Tissot Visodate? Although it doesn't have a power reserve, it has a nice, clean dial and comes with a leather band. It also has a white face version, among a few others. Name:  mtr_10_0812_tissot_heritage_visodate_automatique_01.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  58.0 KB
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deliverusfromgod View Post
    Yes, but after lurking the forum for a few days, I want to get my hands on a watch that I can enjoy! I like the Orient a lot, and I like the Hamilton a lot. I feel like the Hamilton will be timeless, whereas the Orient, even if I give it to my nephew, they won't be as impressed since it's just an Orient.

That's why I was wondering if I could go a bit higher and get a watch with more identity.

Also, what is ETA and hacking?
    Hamilton has a great legacy, but between these two, personally, I'd take either of those Orients. I wouldn't think about as "just" an Orient. Among watch collectors, it's very respected in its price range. I wouldn't expect any non-watch collector to have ever heard of either brand.
    ilanvfs likes this.

Browsed around Tissot, and found this.

It can be bought for $236. I don't know if it's a good deal or not, I'll need to do some research since I've never heard of Tissot.

Looks like it'd be good with a brown leather band. I'm going to look at Mido, and see if they have a model to my liking.

I don't mind shelling out up to $500, is there a higher brand than Tissot?
    Last edited by deliverusfromgod; December 6th, 2011 at 04:57.
    CitizenM likes this.

I wouldn't worry too much about branding here. Of the watches you've listed, only Orient actually makes their watch. Mido, Hamilton and so on, nothing wrong with them at all, love a lot of them, but they don't actually make the movement. Outside of price and customer service, I have to imagine they're more or less on the same level.

Rado might have some stuff for you. Look for used Oris. Really like Oris' designs.

I think from the Swiss world in your price range, my favorite designs are probably Mido's.

Name:  mido-multifort-gent-white-watch.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  71.4 KB
    Last edited by CitizenM; December 6th, 2011 at 05:02.
    Swingline888 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information