Neodym magnet ruined my automatic...
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Neodym magnet ruined my automatic...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Neodym magnet ruined my automatic...

I was working with really strong neodymium magnets and forgot that i was wearing my automatic watch (ordinary Seiko 5, nothing special but it looks nice and was very accurate for a 7S25 movement). And then one of the magnets snaped to my watch while i was working. Now, ever since that happened, my watch is way too fast and goes 5 minutes ahead in just 2 days (before this happened, it used to gain only like 2 minutes in ~3-4 months).

Any idea what should i do? I really like this one but i'm afraid that i permanently ruined it. I thought it's entirely made out of stainless steel which shouldn't be affected by magnetism, but it seems it's not. I was thinking of getting the case opener and try to slighly nudge the +/- setting back so i would slow it down a bit. Though i'm not sure what the magnet has actually affected in the watch itself to know if this would help.
    Any idea or directions greatly appreciated. Thx

Re: Neodym magnet ruined my automatic...

You can use a demagnetizer.
    happyjaya and CCCP like this.
    Regards,
    Indera

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

+1 for demagnetizer.
    this is the proper, cheap and easy way to eliminate magnetic efect on anything (your watch included).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A demagnetizer should work. I had a very powerful magnet that I set a watch of mine near (about 18 inches) and my watch went fast about 1 hour every 15 hrs. My watch was magnetized too much for a demagnetizer so I had to have the watch overhauled and as part of that process each individual piece of the movement was demagnetized.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Overcoming magnetism is one of the goals in trying to attain isochronism. It has been troubling since the beginning of watches. Most likely what has happened to your watch is the hairspring has become magnetized. When this happens individual coils 'stick' to each other. Now we have a hairspring with one fewer coil. This has effectively shortened the hairspring. A shortened hairspring will cause the rate to increase and the watch will run fast, sometimes very fast. The solution to your problem may be as simple as demagnetizing your watch, a function watchmakers perform regularly as this is a common problem. The mechanism is typically an electromagnet that when a momentary push button is activated sends a magnetic pulse through the watch. There are other problem scenarios but this is the most common. Quick fix sometimes. Resist opening your watch and adjusting something you do not understand thoroughly. Find a watchmaker and deal with it in the proper manner please or you may worsen your troubles. Michael

How much does the demagnetization cost? I assume it can't be too expensive as its a few second job. But i won't go as far to demagnetize every cog in it since that would be far more expensive than the whole watch...

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    How much does the demagnetization cost? I assume it can't be too expensive as its a few second job. But i won't go as far to demagnetize every cog in it since that would be far more expensive than the whole watch...
    You can buy one for as cheap as $7.00 USD or so on that auction site.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

STOP IT!

Find a watchmaker. This is not a "go out and buy a tool" problem, this is find an experienced repair person that will examine the whole watch to see if your watch requires more than demagnetizing. The watch is not dismantled and could be demagnetized without even opening it. After all, you magnetized it without opening it. Not my point actually, my point is the watch requires professional attention. If demagnetizing is the only need it should be inexpensive. Should a watchmaker need to fix something you screwed up, that is expensive. Stop this nonsense about buying a 7 dollar tool. This isn't about tools, it is about experience. You don't have any so go pay someone for some. End of rant!

You also have to understand that this watch was just 110 EUR. If repair is half its price, it's not worth it imo. If demagnetizing will cost 10 EUR, then i'll take the offer. Disassembling and demagnetizing would only make sense if it's a 500+ EUR watch...

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

You may be correct, the OP's issue may or may NOT be fixed with $7 tool.

That said, we are not asking him to try $100 tool. We are talking about a useful tool that is very cheap.

I say invest that $7 and try it out. If it fixes the issue you have, that would be wonderful. If not, then you are only out $7 and still have a useful tool that you can use around the house.

If it does NOT fix it, then it is time for one to think whether it is worth their time and money to seek professional help.
    CitizenM, CCCP, Sextant and 3 others like this.
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information