• I will always buy Pre-owned

13 13.27%
  • Only buy new if it to hard to find Pre-owned

37 37.76%
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Never buy a Brand New Watch !

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Never buy a Brand New Watch !

I'm the type of person who never buy A brand new watch because I think at the same amount of money I can get a better 2-nd or Preowned watch. Moreover, I think watch like Luxury car, will lose is value at least 1/3 at the first time you wear it (Not brand-new anymore), So I think that when a brand new attractive watch come out, I will wait until someone want to sell it and buy it at a good price.
    Obviously, Vintage watch it is the way to go
    P/S: The only times I buy a brand new watch it when the grey market offer 70% Discount Value for the FC, Which make it much more affordable then I ever thought !

Who with me and this perception?

Re: Never buy a Brand New Watch !

It depends on how much the price gap between the new watch and used watch is, and how easily available the watch is pre-owned. If it is less than $100 for example, I am always buying new. This is the reason why I bought a new blue Squale 1521 recently. Also, why I bought a new Trident at CW's half off sale. A rare couple of times, I have even bought a watch new and resold it for a higher price, thus making a profit out of nothing.
    I've also noticed in general that I'm more likely to hold on longer to the watches that I've bought new.
    Also, if I'm buying a watch to celebrate a certain occasion I probably prefer buying new.
    edhchoe and snuff337 like this.

Not everyone can buy used. Someone has to buy new. I am one of those who buy new and sell at a loss for people like OP. I am the benefactor. You are the beneficiary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just remember - when buying used you are that bit closer to that first (or next) service!
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

It depends on the price range--I would buy a digital Casio, Suunto and other low end watches new--they would be purchased for specific functions (bicycling, skiing, etc.), and I can afford them easily. All my high end watches, everything from Rolex, to Panerai and on to my favorite brand, Ball, I buy used, though sometimes gray market new. With standard depreciation at up to 50% just for walking out the door with it, I will let someone else do that. Also, this means that whatever I buy has been in circulation at least a little while, where I can monitor feedback and so forth in order to determine if it is a worthwhile buy or not--I'll let someone else do the initial field testing on new models.
    Wibbs and chefmhf like this.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

I buy almost exclusively new. My AD/broker has taken care of me and can get most anything I want quickly, even when it is hard to get and still gives me great deals, but that is based on a 20+ year relationship. A good percentage of the watches I buy command pretty high prices used and only have tiny discounts in the GM. I have no problem with used but want an excellent deal and also I don't want to waste a lot of time and effort looking for the right watch at the right deal when I could just spend it making money and buying new.
    vCardinal, drhr, Addicted and 1 others like this.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Depends on the deal you can get with your new watch!!
    If you plan to keep it for life and perhaps pass it down to your children then why not buy brand new

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd always buy new unless said watches are hardly available new. Cant stand the thoughts that the watch I'm wearing has been on someone else's wrist and probably once covered with (hopefully not sweaty) wrist hair.

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dedhed likes this.

I buy pre-owned most of the time because a lot of times I like the older model of the said watch better than the latest version; e.g. IWC Mark XII or XV, Rolex Explorer 36mm instead of 39mm, GP Laureato 8010 instead of Laureato EVO or 81000.
    Especially because of the current 'big watch' trend when my ideal size is 38mm or less.
    That's why I find Tudor BB 36mm very refreshing and very desirable; but then again, I think why not just add another 500-600 more and get a pre-owned 14270...
    Of course the biggest perk in buying pre-owned is the reassurance that you are going to minimize your loss in the case you need to flip the piece.
    Also, it was mentioned previously that some do not want to waste time looking for the right watch at the right deal, but to me, that's half the enjoyment of buying pre-owned/vintage watches... the hunt for the right watch ; )

my 2 cents
    Last edited by pyiyha; March 23rd, 2016 at 12:10.
    pesfunk likes this.
    Cyryn de Luxe | Vostok Amphibia | Omega 176.007 | Zenith Prime | Seiko 66-8050 | Rolex Oysterquartz 17014 | Omega Constellation '95 | Hamilton Accumatic IV-B | IWC Mark XV | King Seiko 4402-8000

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information