Never content with your collection, always on the hunt ?
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Never content with your collection, always on the hunt ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Never content with your collection, always on the hunt ?

Don't get me wrong - I love my collection - but I would love even more so to have just a few more pieces.

Sometimes this feeling can be so strong that it distracts me from the wonderful collection I already have, seemingly always on the hunt for the next.

Are you too perpetually on the 'hunt'? Are you too never content with your collection?
    Last edited by mdgrwl; July 6th, 2016 at 22:44.

Re: Never content with your collection ?

Yeah I think I'd just buy a smaller watch box and call it a day.
    Drumguy likes this.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    If I wasn’t spending money on G-Shocks, my wife would be spending it on dumb sh*t like food and bills.
    "I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Re: Never content with your collection, always on the hunt ?

It definitely started that way and remained so for about 5 years, much less so now. I've gone through so many watches (of the aesthetic I like) that now there really aren't many that can get me excited since they basically all resemble what I've had/have. There's a few for sure but pricing gets in the way so that's that. The annual watch shows might be the most dangerous times for me though even that has failed to entice as much the past few years. Dunno, maybe I'm approaching equilibrium . . .
    mpalmer, mousekar75 and Geof3 like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TTR

Seems like this is exactly what I'm doing... There's couple of watches that are definitive keepers but other than those my collection is transforming constantly. Or I might sell the lot and stay away from watches for some time. I've done that few times in the past and I can feel such moment coming soon again...

I've been ever on the hunt for years. The hunt is definitely slowing as I close in on those last few pieces.
    thejames1, drhr and watch_hor like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Every time I *think* I've reached the point of a stable collection, something happens and changes my entire plan. This hobby this very addictive, as long as the budget permits.

I definitely feel like I am very close at this point. Partially because I have a few true keepers, and partially because I'm tired of buying/selling.

I look forward to the day that "the chase" is not on my mind. Maybe this is the WIS burnout?

I feel the pull of the hunt all too often. Excellent parts of my collection, often wore only a dozen times, are sold off for the next new shiny/slightly different/different brand/modified movement watch. Then the process repeats. I wish a stable collection was I the cards for me, but at this point, the best I can hope for is an intermittent slow down.
    There are some keepers, that have been with me for years, but sometimes I still think about selling them off.

Sent from my S7
    For Instagram photos: thejames80

Banned

I'm definitely still on the hunt right now, but I feel like if I were to acquire a couple pieces I have had my eye on for a while that I would be content. But who knows, maybe it would just make me want more

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    It definitely started that way and remained so for about 5 years, much less so now. I've gone through so many watches (of the aesthetic I like) that now there really aren't many that can get me excited since they basically all resemble what I've had/have. There's a few for sure but pricing gets in the way so that's that. The annual watch shows might be the most dangerous times for me though even that has failed to entice as much the past few years. Dunno, maybe I'm approaching equilibrium . . .
    Dear drhr you are quickly becoming my watch sensei. I have learned a lot from your posts and from your watch history. I am still after a couple of pieces that you own and I like very much to have (GP Laureato and IWC Engineer). As you, I am becoming more content with my collection. I still go to watch ADs to take a look and try pieces I like in photos. Just yesterday I made a quick (2 hour) stop at the Cartier and JLC boutiques. I wanted to look at the JLC Memovox and while it is a gorgeous looking watch, when I tried it on, the hight of the watch was a no no for me. At Cartier, I went to see and try the Drive, again, no for me since I like my Tank MC better. I did found and tried on a brand new Roadster they have for sale. A little to big and bulky for me, but man... what a watch!!
    Any way, I believe I have found my 7 keepers. If I go for a new one, it will definitively have to be a piece that replaces by far one I already have.
    drhr and Btreichel87 like this.

I think that a watch collection should never be "done". You'll lose interest if it does. I have a wearing collection - everything must be regularly used. To me it's about finding out what I like, keeping what I like more, and letting go those that I like less.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information