Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

Thread: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member sgtiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,334

    Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    Just an FYI for what I learned today: If you list an item on eBay and select "no returns or refunds" a buyer can still get their money back under eBay protection, and because you selected that, they don't have to return the merchandise. Selecting "no returns" invites predatory buyers, who will purchase it, claim a problem, get their money back, and have no obligation to return the item.

    My auction says No Returns, isn't that my right !: General Discussion Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

  2. #2
    Member IWCwhatyoudidthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    519

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    After the horror stories I've read about eBay and PayPal I don't think I could list anything for sale there. I'm too risk averse. I have a few watches I'd like to sell here but I still can't bring myself to do it even though I've had nothing but good experiences (as a buyer).

  3. #3
    Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,591

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    There are still kinks with the buyer protection but I've never had any problems with any of my auctions or buyers.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member cs12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
    Just an FYI for what I learned today: If you list an item on eBay and select "no returns or refunds" a buyer can still get their money back under eBay protection, and because you selected that, they don't have to return the merchandise. Selecting "no returns" invites predatory buyers, who will purchase it, claim a problem, get their money back, and have no obligation to return the item.

    My auction says No Returns, isn't that my right !: General Discussion Boards: eBay Discussion Boards
    I doubt that correct returning an item because you have changed your mind (no returns) and returning it because of a problem (buyer protection) are different things.

    Legally was its suggesting is highly dubious and would result in people suing ebay/PP

    Some unscrupulous buyers will still find ways to screw over sellers but I doubt ebay would do what they are saying as they would be very stupid to do so.

    If you get screwed over by a buyer who claims there moneyback and keeps your item they would have committed fraud via PP/Ebay and you would have a legal case to sue them to reclaim your goods.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

    http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    37

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    I really don't think that's the case. As a seller I haven't run into it to test, but as a buyer with a defective item marked "no returns", where the seller refused to accept a return, ebay under their protection plan wouldn't return my money until I returned the item first. I will say tho that in general, ebay is definitely bias in favor of the buyer.

  7. #6
    Member sgtiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    I doubt that correct returning an item because you have changed your mind (no returns) and returning it because of a problem (buyer protection) are different things.

    Legally was its suggesting is highly dubious and would result in people suing ebay/PP

    Some unscrupulous buyers will still find ways to screw over sellers but I doubt ebay would do what they are saying as they would be very stupid to do so.

    If you get screwed over by a buyer who claims there moneyback and keeps your item they would have committed fraud via PP/Ebay and you would have a legal case to sue them to reclaim your goods.
    Read the thread. IIRC, Ebay will refund the money, and pursue you for the reimbursement. Ebay will not force the buyer to return the merchandise prior to shipment if "no returns" is specified in the listing.

    You'd have the option to sue the buyer in small claims - good luck with travel expenses. You can sue Ebay too... what a PITA.

  8. #7
    Member cs12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
    Read the thread. IIRC, Ebay will refund the money, and pursue you for the reimbursement. Ebay will not force the buyer to return the merchandise prior to shipment if "no returns" is specified in the listing.

    You'd have the option to sue the buyer in small claims - good luck with travel expenses. You can sue Ebay too... what a PITA.
    Read what this thread (i did) or a 12 page forum thread, i didnt read the whole 12 pages but the 3rd post down confirms the original poster is wrong as 3rd poster had to return his item before he got a refund.

    Granted its a year old and may have changed but the point is if its true its not legal and would result in them getting sued.
    Last edited by cs12; March 20th, 2013 at 23:37.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

    http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    9,059

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
    Read the thread. IIRC, Ebay will refund the money, and pursue you for the reimbursement. Ebay will not force the buyer to return the merchandise prior to shipment if "no returns" is specified in the listing.

    You'd have the option to sue the buyer in small claims - good luck with travel expenses. You can sue Ebay too... what a PITA.
    If Ebay is indeed doing that, they're inviting a class action law suit. Hard to believe they'd be that stupid.
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

    "To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

    -Galway Kinnell

  10. #9
    Member sgtiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    Read what this thread (i did) or a 12 page forum thread, i didnt read the whole 12 pages but the 3rd post down confirms the original poster is wrong as 3rd poster had to return his item before he got a refund.

    Granted its a year old and may have changed but the point is if its true its not legal and would result in them getting sued.
    Keep reading the thread, then you'd see that same poster said this later on: My auction says No Returns, isn't that my right !: General Discussion Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

    "Okay... Yeah, you've got a point. Were I an evil person, you could go and buy stuff that sez No Returns Accepted then file SNAD's. Keep the item and get my money back too! Although I did file a SNAD on a busted guitar, and evilBay send me a UPS label for a return... At NO cost to me. And gave me a Full refund."
    Believe it or not, people are getting screwed by this, it's a real issue. Threads pop up all the time about sellers not getting items back, but eBay refunding the money. Check eBay forums at http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum/Returns/5200000024

    Here's a post just today: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Ret...ull/5100144504
    Last edited by sgtiger; March 21st, 2013 at 00:13.

  11. #10
    Member Perseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    13,484

    Re: Never select "no returns" on an eBay listing... you'll lose your money and the item.

    I will never sell anything of value on eBay again. It's gotten to the point you have to video the condition of an item while you put it in the box at the post office to avoid a scam! I feel much safer buying and selling on WUS.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •