New Aquisition: Shinola Runwell Automatic
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Aquisition: Shinola Runwell Automatic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Aquisition: Shinola Runwell Automatic

Hello everyone!

I have been searching for a quality automatic watch with classic and timeless (pun intended) style.. I have considered MANY options, but just couldn't seem to pull the trigger on anything for one reason or another...until yesterday.

I was in one of my local department stores yesterday, and I noticed a special display for the Shinola Runwell Automatic 45mm with a brown leather strap.. I have always been intrigued by the Shinola design, but being a relatively new company and having higher than normal prices, I was hesitant.. I was also looking for something a bit more sporty, but the Shinola just spoke to me for some reason, and my wife really loved the classic look (which helps convince her to open up the wallet).. I am a huge WWII history nerd, and I can't help but feel like this is something my grandfather would have worn when he was fighting in Europe.

I normally do not like leather strap watches, but I decided to try this one on.. I immediately fell in love!. Although it is only 5ATM water resistant, it has a screw down crown and feels very solid and durable.. I am also quite pleased with the look of the dial through the sapphire crystal, which is slightly domed, but not so much as I am worried about it getting smashed.

The movement, from what I can tell, is a Sellita SW200-1.. I don't know much about automatic movements (this is only my second automatic, the first being a Seiko Prospex Samurai), but from my research, I get the impression that it's a quality movement.

The only faults I find with the watch are the leather band (which is my own taste, and I'm sure it will improve after it breaks in) and the lume.. The lume is present, and is in all the places I would like to see at night, but it is rather dim compared to my other watches.. However, I can't fault the Shinola too much since it is up against my Seiko Prospex and all of my Citizen Promaster models, which all have overkill lume.

All in all I am very satisfied with my purchase, and I hope this watch lasts long enough to pass down to my kids or grandkids.. I know the sentiment around this forum is that Shinola is a bit overpriced and bland, but with the slight discount I got at my local store, I feel that the quality is on par with similar models from other brands. I do, however, plan on changing to a metal band this weekend.

Thanks for reading!. Pics are below!

http://imgur.com/gallery/7jWyjvj

Re: New Aquisition: Shinola Runwell Automatic

congrats, thats a nice looking piece! Shinola gets a lot of flak around here but they have some good designs. 45mm sounds huge thought, I could never pull that off
    slcbbrown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcal4404 View Post
    congrats, thats a nice looking piece! Shinola gets a lot of flak around here but they have some good designs. 45mm sounds huge thought, I could never pull that off
    It is a rather large case, which is maybe why it sits a little awkward with the leather strap. I'm optimistic that the metal band will help balance it out. I'm used to wearing a Citizen Blue Angels Skyhawk, which is much larger.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the purchase! As a fellow Shinola owner (quartz Runwell), the style also spoke to me and I have been happy owning it for the last 4 years despite it being overpriced.

Congrats! I have a first-gen quartz Runwell (2013) and it's been a champ. Love the design and, as a former Michigander, it speaks to me. Looks great!

Thanks for the review! I'm excited that Shinola has gone into the automatic business, and was hoping for more after their automatic diver came out as a limited edition last year.

As a field watch fanatic and someone interested in American brands (ex- and current-), I've always been intrigued by Shinola. I've had a chance to handle several models, since many of my friends own them. For many of them, it's the first analog timepiece they've purchased for themselves as adults. So while the brand is not a forum favorite here, I'll give Shinola credit for that, and appreciate that this company is thriving in a world full of Apple watches.

The only thing keeping me away has been the price point. I'm glad you bit the bullet and are happy with your purchase. Thanks for posting the pictures. Wear it in good health!

Great looking watch. Enjoy
    %99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.

Congrats on your new acquisition, very nice. I like the review, Thanks.

Hope you enjoy it.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

May have heard of the brand from the Time Teller channel on YouTube. It's a very good looking watch. Congrats!
    vwj likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information