New arrival - Grand Seiko Snowflake (SBGA211)
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New arrival - Grand Seiko Snowflake (SBGA211)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New arrival - Grand Seiko Snowflake (SBGA211)

I need to update my sig, but the JLC and Ball are gone, and a new Seiko (sorry...'GRAND' SEIKO) has arrived.

I've been toying with the idea of flipping the JLC for years (great watch...I was just not wearing it anymore, and at ~13 years old sure a service would be due soon), and the Ball was on my hit list to get rid of (I no longer liked it, and the non-Grand Seiko was its replacement).

Today, the planets aligned. Packed up the two watches (the dealer I was going to buys for cash, and gives good prices - and they are also the GS dealer) and headed downtown. Get in, the guy that does the trade-ins is basically staring me down as I walk in. Hand off the two pieces and he goes in back to evaluate, I head to the GS case with another staff member, and there is a Snowflake in there, still wrapped up. They got it Wednesday. The store had about 20 different GS models in stock. Looked at a few, looked at some Omegas, but the Snowflake kept pulling me back. I've been aware and interested in this piece for years, and I was happy to actually see it there. No idea how hard to get they are in reality.

Right as I finish up looking, he comes back with the appraisals, I was very, very happy with what I saw, and 20 minutes later I walked out with one new watch and two old ones which will likely have new homes in a month.

First impressions are cautiously good. I have been in the hobby long enough to not have much honeymoon phase - I know what I like, and more importantly, what I do not. The watch fits well, the titanium is new and interesting (everything else I have is heavy or on a strap), and more importantly, there is just a little 'something' here. The dial texture, the sparkle of the hour markers and hands, the perfectly smooth sweep of the second hand (oh, and the fact it is a Spring Drive!!!) all add up to something 'interesting'. In the best way possible, it feels like jewelry. On paper, this watch is close to the JLC, but in practice, they feel worlds apart (not geographically, even if they were made by the same brand). That is what I need in a watch, there has to be that little 'something' that makes it more than just a watch.

Anyway, I unloaded two watches I was no longer using at all, have something new and interesting to enjoy, and it was all painless and easy.

Name:  i-cn9vnK5-X3.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  235.1 KB
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Re: New arrival - Grand Seiko Snowflake (SBGA211)

I love the detail in the stories like these. Enjoy your watch in great health sir! I spent alot of time with grand Seiko in Miami at the boutique this past weekend. I'll be buying one there next time I go back in a few months. The service was outstanding. Spring drive will be my go to as well, but im going basic champagne dial. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Like it, congrats!

Which JLC is gone, looks like you've already updated your current watches?
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    Like it, congrats!

Which JLC is gone, looks like you've already updated your current watches?
    I already changed it, jumped the gun a bit! It was the last-gen Master Control Automatic Date (Q1398420 on the strap). Again, great watch but it was no longer doing anything for me. The movement was amazing, but the dial and overall look was boring me after all those years. The other issue is the crown dug into my wrist (the latest version fixed that), which was annoying.
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
    I love the detail in the stories like these. Enjoy your watch in great health sir! I spent alot of time with grand Seiko in Miami at the boutique this past weekend. I'll be buying one there next time I go back in a few months. The service was outstanding. Spring drive will be my go to as well, but im going basic champagne dial. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I feel the context is fun to share, this hobby is more about the journey than the destination for me (all the hours I waste online and in stores!), and especially in this case, the planets just aligned.

Nice timepiece!

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    Thanks! I feel the context is fun to share, this hobby is more about the journey than the destination for me (all the hours I waste online and in stores!), and especially in this case, the planets just aligned.
    Me too! Sharing the hunt and the stories are part of what makes this fun for me as well. Glad to see the planets aligned. It's rare when it does, but awesome.

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your addition! GS designers do an amazing job on their dial designs

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    I already changed it, jumped the gun a bit! It was the last-gen Master Control Automatic Date (Q1398420 on the strap). Again, great watch but it was no longer doing anything for me. The movement was amazing, but the dial and overall look was boring me after all those years. The other issue is the crown dug into my wrist (the latest version fixed that), which was annoying.
    You know what I say, "If you don't wear it, share it".

Congrats again on your new Snowflake!
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    You know what I say, "If you don't wear it, share it".

Congrats again on your new Snowflake!
    Exactly! No matter how good the watch is, no point owning it unless you wear it, cherish, or profiting. None of these three things applied.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information