New Arrival - Maurice Lacroix Aikon Automatic
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: New Arrival - Maurice Lacroix Aikon Automatic

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

After seeing the press on the new automatic Aikon I decided I wanted one. It takes design cues from the AP Royal Oak, the GP Laureato and even the Omega Constellation. The pitchfork brigade will moan that it is a direct ripoff of the AP design but I think there are enough differences, including the big one - I don't need to sell a kidney to own it!

I already own two genuine Gerald Genta designs that I really like and I thought the ML would make a nice trio:

Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  241.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  243.8 KB

There is no ML AD within thousands of kms of me so it was always going to be an online purchase with no opportunity to try one on. I decided I would go for the black dial with the matching date window, I was worried that the white dial might have legibility problems and I wasn't going to take the risk without seeing one. I discounted the blue due to the white date window, that was until I saw a YouTube review of the blue dial......oh well, another compromise! I know that if I waited 12 months I would probably get the watch a lot cheaper, ML prices crash pretty hard if you give them enough time. I got a great deal from IguanaSell who are an AD in Spain (18% discount),the price also included all duty & charges into Oz, that was a saving of over AUD 300 alone on top of the discount. Overall it was a significant saving compared to other offers that were out there. So here's a quick rundown after 3 days of wearing:

Name:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  288.0 KB

The surface finishing is nearly all brushed apart from the polished bezel claws (ala Constellation), the sides of the bezel and the bevelled case edges.

Name:  IMG_0086.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  206.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0025.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  136.6 KB

The bracelet is 5 links wide and all brushed with 2 of the 5 rows being slightly raised but light still dances around all those geometric shapes and straight lines - it really is a great effect. It has a quick release system which is cool but given it is integrated you can only swap it for the ML leather strap, which I'm in no hurry to ever do. For sizing the bracelet has 2 slightly smaller removable links near the clasp, I removed 2 full links and one of the smaller ones for my 7.25 inch wrist.

The case back is see through and very pedestrian. I really don't need to see another SW200 movement, I prefer solid case backs for all but nicely decorated hand wind and micro rotor movements. Anyway, not a big deal as long as the other side is done well.

Name:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  224.3 KB

The dial uses a Clou de Paris pattern, the same small pyramid shapes as the GP Laureato. It's been a long time since I tried a Royal Oak on but I think the pattern is different? I seem to remember it being more like squares? Anyway, as with a lot of blue dials there are a lot of different shades depending on the light and you can get a real nice sunburst effect as well.

Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  283.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  233.5 KB

The Aikon looks both dressy and masculine/sporty at the same time with all those industrial looking straight lines and reflections, it's also deceptively heavy (it weighs the same as my Limes Endurance Diver) and it reminds you that it's there, which I like. Surprisingly it has a 200m water resistance which is very unusual on non dive watches these days, the crown is screw down.

At 42mm diameter and a touch over 11mm thick, it fits really nicely on my wrist.

So far so good then, I won't go into raptures until I've had a few weeks with it at least but I'm really liking it so far

Name:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  298.5 KB
    Last edited by catlike; May 5th, 2018 at 17:22.

Re: New Arrival - Maurice Lacroix Aikon Automatic

I think it’s a great addition. Well executed and extremely attractive. Enjoy!

I do want to like ML.
    mpalmer likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats. I wasn't familiar with the Aikon name, but it looks like ML has done a nice job. Excellent WR, too.

Congrats! Looks great. Thanks for the photos, there hasn’t been a lot out there.
    Grand Seiko SBGR053 ¦ Nomos Tangomat Datum ¦ Tudor Pelagos
    @stewham86

Very nice. Definitely some AP RO vibes, but with enough original elements to stand on its own. Like the thin profile too.
    Pretty impressive from ML.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I really like the looks of that watch. I didn’t realize ML released these. Thanks for sharing the review and the pics!

Upon inspection of this line, I am quite taken by the chrono version of the Aikon as well... (uniquely, for a chrono of this type, it has screw down pushers)...
    Last edited by mpalmer; May 5th, 2018 at 18:41.
    Sevenmack likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Congrats. Very nice trio Genta collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

I know you’re not too keen on the leather, but I’m curious if they included one? I actually dig the way they look on the strap, but it looks as though ML has gone back to adding the applied “M” to the leather. Kinda thought they had veered away from that the past few years, wondering if it’s easy to remove/how they attach it?

This watch appeals to me quite a bit. Very similar to the Concord Mariner line, which I’ve also recently taken a shine to. Obviously drawing from the same design/styling cues.

Would love to hear why you’re not anxious to put it on leather....and I look forward to some more wrist-shots, particularly in different lighting. Again, nice pick up. Enjoy.
    slcbbrown and Jeep99dad like this.

An excellent all around watch! The blue dial is stunning!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information