New arrival (pretty much complete now)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mlcor

Thread: New arrival (pretty much complete now)

New arrival (pretty much complete now)

So, I have one dressy watch for traveling overseas, a Maurice Lacroix dual time, but wanted a simpler, sturdy travel watch that I could wear on the plane and on weekends. I wanted good lume (for the plane), a date (at minimum) so I didn't lose track when traveling, and a way to track a second time zone. I ended up getting this, a Damasko DA45 in black, with the 12 hour bezel (for the second time zone, easy to set), and the strap from the DA44 (with a single line of red stitching as opposed to the red + white stitching on the standard DA45 strap, which I felt was too much).

With this, I think I'm pretty much done unless I eventually yield to temptation and get a Hulk. I've tried one on several times and really like it, and it would complement the rest of my collection from a color point of view. But I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend that much, it's a couple grand more than anything I've ever bought. I can afford it, but just not sure I can get there mentally. Anyway, pics of the Damasko below, plus a brief review--so far I really like it.

Name:  Damasko Front 1 Small.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  186.7 KBName:  Damasko Back Small.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  182.1 KBName:  Damasko Front 2 Small.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  195.0 KBName:  Damasko Front 3 Small.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  193.1 KB

Very pleased with the watch--fit and finish are very good. The lume (the entire dial) is excellent, perfect for the plane, and in normal light, the dial looks completely white, you wouldn't even know it was lumed. The bezel has a great feel, and is bi-directional. Standard ETA 2836-2, same as in my Ball Trainmaster Eternity, good accurate and reliable movement. I like the bits of color that the red 12:00 marker and seconds hand tip provide. The strap has a little flap that goes under the buckle to keep the metal off the back of your wrist--nice feature, but it does make the watch a little harder to put on. The AR coating is amazing--when I first took the watch out of the box, it was hard to tell there was a crystal there--and it's the most legible watch I can imagine. Size is pretty much perfect for me (I have a 7.25" wrist) at 40mm x 12.3mm.

Pros:
    Nice, simple design but with some color.
    Very legible.
    12 hour bezel for a simple second time zone.
    Damasko reputation for durability. Don't think I would buy a black watch with normal PVD.
    Excellent value IMO.

Cons:
    Flap on buckle takes some getting used to in terms of putting the watch on.
    Some lume on the bezel would have been nice, to see a second time zone at night.
    Getting the watch took a lot of time--over four weeks from date of order (this is on Damasko, not the AD).
    bacari and tanatron like this.

Re: New arrival (pretty much complete now)

Nice pick-up. Congrats!
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Re: New arrival (pretty much complete now)

Good looking watch. Yeah, I think that strap is perfect for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information