New to Automatic

Thread: New to Automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to Automatic

Hello

i just got my first automatic watch

http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...ry-Mecha/24695

a few hours ago, it stopped. That got me wondering how i should manage the watch. I don't wear a watch when I'm at home (maybe i should start). So i was wondering what i can do to not make it stop. Can i shake it every morning a few times/minutes and that will make it last until the next morning?

Also i think it is possible to manually wind it, i hear some clicks when turning the crown, but i read somewhere that it's not very good to manually wind automatic watches.

So any tips on what i should do?

Automatic watches need to be worn for a number of hours every day to maintain a power reserve to keep them going.

I think most autos can hand wind. As far as it being bad for them I have read arguments on both sides of the debate. My feeling is that it shouldn't be a problem, if you only do it as needed.
    Last edited by Adam S; February 7th, 2012 at 22:03.

Re: New to Automatic

Wind it up in the morning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you have an automatic movement that can be manually wound, you will not harm it by manually winding it. You could also invest in a watch winder.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Just wind it up, a full power reserve should get you 40 hours minimum on it, and if you wear it for at least 8 hours a day, it will never run down. Forget the watch winder, they are fiddly and really not necessarily unless you have a bunch of watches and do not care about accuracy. All automatics will run fast or slow over time, so keeping them running on a winder will just mean everytime you pick up the watch, it will be rather fast or rather slow. If you are an accuracy nut like me, you will unscrew the crown, hack it, and sync the time to an atomic clock anyways, which defeats the purpose of having a winder to save on crown wear.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

The best way is to wear the watch from the moment you wake up, ntill you go to bed.

how do i know if I've wounded it enough? Unlike some automatics this one doesn't have a power reserve indicator. Do you go on "feeling"?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    The best way is to wear the watch from the moment you wake up, ntill you go to bed.
    would probably be the best way. I am not very active, but i guess some movement is better than no movement.

Quote Originally Posted by cr00mz View Post
    how do i know if I've wounded it enough? Unlike some automatics this one doesn't have a power reserve indicator. Do you go on "feeling"?
    If its an ETA 2824-2, then about 20-30 full winds should get you to full reserve. It is probably even less winds than that.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

Some of the guys here sleep with the watch on.
    I can not, as the ticking of a mechanical watch close to my ear prevents me from falling asleep.
    And my brain gets disturbed by the Electro magnetic forces from a Quartz movement. It is too hot here to sleep with a night cap made from Foil...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information