A New Convert
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By farmer88
  • 1 Post By City74
  • 2 Post By Orex

Thread: A New Convert

A New Convert

I have bought my first mechanical manual wind watch (a Stowa back to Bauhouse). I have read several times on this site that a watch should be wound at the same time every day. However, with my new watch it is impossible. When I finish winding the watch I feel resistance and stop. 24 hours later I still feel the same resistance and can not wind the watch at all. It is only possible to wind it a few hours before the spring completely unwinds.

Is something wrong with my watch? What could cause this and why am I not able to wind my watch sooner. From what I understand most watches can be topped off at any time. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Re: A New Convert

It doesn’t need to be wound at the same time everyday. I’ve never heard that. If you wind the watch up fully and then are wearing it all the time the watch will stay fully wound. There isn’t a reason to wind it. The only time you need to wind a watch is it it has been sitting, unworn, for a day or so. I doubt there is anything wrong with the watch.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

It is not an automatic watch. Winding a watch at the same time every night is good practice because this routine prevents one from forgetting to rewind it.
    E8ArmyDiver, rfortson and chuasam like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by farmer88 View Post
    It is not an automatic watch. Winding a watch at the same time every night is good practice because this routine prevents one from forgetting to rewind it.
    I’m sorry I read the first post wrongly, it’s early and I need coffee. Letting a handwind watch fully unwind will not hurt it. If you want to get in a routine that’s fine but it isnt necessary. Also I still don’t think anything is wrong with the watch
    Joetex likes this.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

If the watch stops and you cannot wind it, this would be a problem.
    Joetex and rfortson like this.

If,after 24 hours of running, the crown won't wind at all then there is a problem.
    My hand winders require anywhere from 30-40 winds before being fully wound. After 24 hours there is no problem winding at least 15 "winds" to get back up to being fully wound.
    Winding your mecanical on a regular basis (when you are using it) is a good practice. When it's time to move on in the rotation there is nothing wrong with letting them run down until the next time.

I wind my hand crankers at the same time of day to suit me rather than the watch, I stand a fairly decent chance of remembering to do it that way. If your watch won’t wind after 24 hours and it’s running then something is wrong.

One of my vintage handwounds used to do the same thing. Sometimes I couldn’t wind it even if time has passed since fully winding it.

One logical deduction is that the watch is somehow not running since that stored energy is not being released. Or it could be running when you’ve wound it but has a habit of stopping intermittently. This would be harder to check unless you were sitting there monitoring the watch. I would see if the watch is keeping good time as well - if it’s off by a lot then there is a problem.

Welcome

Banned

Its a manual watch so i don’t think there is a problem only if the watch doesn’t wind and is still running for over 24hours then you should have something to worry about.

Thread Information