New Diver Suggestions?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Diver Suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Diver Suggestions?

Hey Guys,

My daily wearer for the last year has been a Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 42 in black with a black rubber strap. I also have a brow croc band I throw on. However, I miss a metal bracelet and as such am looking for a change. I do not like the mesh bracelet that can come with the SOH.

I don't need two divers, so would probably be trading in my Breitling and maybe some cash for a new watch. Assuming I can fetch around $2,000-$2,500 for the Breitling, I'd like to stay in the under $4k range. New or pre-owned. Must have a metal bracelet, but also look good on leather.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Quinn

Edit: I know I cant get $2,500 for a trade on the SOH.. I was offered $1,700 by my AD as they said they'd list it for sale at $2,500. So, I'd hope to sell it to someone and take the bulk of the profit.

Re: New Diver Suggestions?

I know it’s my fallback position but I’d be looking at an ever so slightly used Sub.

A sub would be great.. A little of everything I'm after. However I really can't justify more than $4k and I doubt I'd find a decent quality Sub in that range. It's not really a matter of spending more than $4k, I just would feel odd in my position in life being a young person wearing something that costs much more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would look at the Tudor Pelagos. You can get them for around $3kish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean or 300.

I think you're kinda in a dead zone when you talk $2500-$4000. You're generally talking about (probably) Swiss watches with pedestrian movements found in $200 Glycines.

I'd look at the Grand Seiko SBGA029, the new Seiko MM300 that should be coming out this fall, the Pelagos as mentioned previously, or move down to the $1000-$2500 category.

I just feel like, for the most part, $2500-$4000 is category of $1000-$2500 watches with a lot of branding success.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

It's not a traditional answer - but I'm a confirmed doxaholic on here, so what the hell. I had a Doxa Sharkhunter (vintage) briefly. And it was a hell of a piece. Get it on a metal bracelet, or switch it off for a strap and it still looks awesome.

Name:  1_960289cc-b598-4e02-94e1-f9a69be12140_grande.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  55.8 KB

For what it's worth, Robert Redford agrees:
    Name:  ThreeDaysOfTheCondor-Doxa.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  43.5 KB

If you get the new 300 Re-issue from Doxa (well under $3000), it comes on a genuine Beads of Rice Metal bracelet - which is one of the greats.

Name:  water_SUB300-Sharkhunter.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  115.9 KB
    Last edited by TheWalrus; August 13th, 2018 at 20:33.
    Raza and dogandcatdentist like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by rdigate View Post
    I would look at the Tudor Pelagos. You can get them for around $3kish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This. The bracelet on the Pelagos is Rolex quality - and not old-school Rolex quality, but new Rolex bracelet quality. The watch is extremely well balanced with the bracelet and has micro adjustments so that in a few seconds you can adjust it if your wrist shrinks or swells.

I often think, if it all had to come down to one watch, this would definitely make it in the top 3 I'd have left to choose from. Tudor is Rolex's playground and they test out ideas and concepts that they don't dare test themselves for fear of affecting their brand image. The Pelagos was definitely a success.
    Palmettoman and 41Mets like this.

Tudor is the place to be.

I would choose one of the ETA Black Bays (used only now, for the most part--you might be able to find NOS in a jeweler's case, maybe; my guys had one a year ago when I got my Submariner from them). Looks great on the excellent bracelet and works really well on leather or on a NATO. Why the ETA over the newer in-house? I think the older, non-rivet bracelet looks better, it's 2.1mm thinner, it's a better value for money, and dial has much more retro charm the colder, Rolex-like in-house dial. I never wear mine on leather, but that's mainly because I don't really put leather on divers.

Pick a color combination you like the most and go to town--vintage burgundy, vintage black, or my favorite, white blue.

(My pic)

(Not my pic)

(Also not my pic)

Alternatively, the Pelagos is a great choice, if you want a more tool diver, something that's matte and capable. No real shiny bits on there (though that's not to say the Black Bay doesn't also fly under the radar). So is one of the Doxas TheWalrus mentioned.

Pennsylvania is a big place, but if you're near the PA/DE border, give Sidney Thomas Jewelers a call in the Christiana Mall in Newark, DE. It's worth the drive; I've always been treated well there and there's no sales tax.

- - - Updated - - -

Tudor is the place to be.

I would choose one of the ETA Black Bays (used only now, for the most part--you might be able to find NOS in a jeweler's case, maybe; my guys had one a year ago when I got my Submariner from them). Looks great on the excellent bracelet and works really well on leather or on a NATO. Why the ETA over the newer in-house? I think the older, non-rivet bracelet looks better, it's 2.1mm thinner, it's a better value for money, and dial has much more retro charm the colder, Rolex-like in-house dial. I never wear mine on leather, but that's mainly because I don't really put leather on divers.

Pick a color combination you like the most and go to town--vintage burgundy, vintage black, or my favorite, white blue.

(My pic)

(Not my pic)

(Also not my pic)

Alternatively, the Pelagos is a great choice, if you want a more tool diver, something that's matte and capable. No real shiny bits on there (though that's not to say the Black Bay doesn't also fly under the radar). So is one of the Doxas TheWalrus mentioned.

Pennsylvania is a big place, but if you're near the PA/DE border, give Sidney Thomas Jewelers a call in the Christiana Mall in Newark, DE. It's worth the drive; I've always been treated well there and there's no sales tax.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Tudor Black Bay 58.
    Quartersawn likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information