New to the Forum, beginning collector (or watch addict)

Thread: New to the Forum, beginning collector (or watch addict)

New to the Forum, beginning collector (or watch addict)

Hello all: I am new to the forum and have just purchased my third watch (as a beginning collector or watch addict). ***PLEASE HELP***

My first two watches are TAGs that I purchased from a jeweler (official Dealer). My questions are related to my latest watch that I purchased from the internet:
    1) what are your thoughts on Baume and Mercier as a Brand? I purchased a Capeland MOA 10046 model. I bought it for the style.
    2) I can't find the 10046 model on B&M website and after sending them an email, they have not responded asking them about the model year of this Capeland. Is anyone familiar with it? The serial no is 5884911
    3) the description from the internet provided states it is mechanical, but the solid back case 12 hr dial on the front state "automatic"...is it hand wind only or is it self winding from the automatic designation?
    4) Does anyone have any experience with the Jomashop as a authentic watch provider?

Thank you for your patience with a newbie...any help would be greatly appreciated?
    Last edited by dilbert9696; July 29th, 2014 at 01:27. Reason: Please help with questions

Re: New to the Forum, beginning collector (or watch addict)

I am a fan of vintage Baume and Mercier watches. Nothing in their current lineup really does it for me, but they are still a very reputable swiss brand. Also In my experience Jomashop is a great site to buy watches online.
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 T-serial
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II 145.014 Cal.861
    Ball Engineer II Red Label GMT GM2026C
    Seiko 6139-6012 1975
    Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date Auto
    Invicta 8926ob
    Tag Heuer Professional 200m

Baume et Mercier has a solid reputation. The same goes for Jomashop. And "automatic" means it winds itself with a weighted rotor as your arm moves or with movement in general, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't wind it manually.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thank you oklaiss.... my impulse was based on style, but it appears to be a nice add to my collection. thanks for the response

Thank you KangarueTheDay -- i appreciate the confirmation. 2 TAGs, 1 B&M and plan to look for my next watch soon...any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert9696 View Post
    Thank you KangarueTheDay -- i appreciate the confirmation. 2 TAGs, 1 B&M and plan to look for my next watch soon...any suggestions?
    Depends on the budget. I would take a look at Nomos. In-house movements and superb quality for the money. If they had the marketing capacity that Rolex or Omega did, they would be double or triple the price.

Not sure what your budget is, but some brands I really like are Omega, IWC, Rolex, Tudor, Nomos, Eberhard, JS Watch Co., Ball, Schaumburg, Laco and Stowa. Across those brands you can find sub-$500 pieces all the way up to $10k+. If you provide more details about what you're looking for plenty of people here will provide excellent recommendations.

Thanks Ryan -- I am just starting to look. I just looked at the Nomos' and their style is outstanding, but I need a 42mm and all of theirs appear to be 40mm and under...but the style is spot on...

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert9696 View Post
    Thanks Ryan -- I am just starting to look. I just looked at the Nomos' and their style is outstanding, but I need a 42mm and all of theirs appear to be 40mm and under...but the style is spot on...
    No problem. For the record I've heard numerous people say that a lot of the Nomos models wear larger than their stated size so a 40mm may fit well. I'd really encourage you to look at JS Watch Company as well.

Thread Information