New to this Forum and I have a few questions.
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New to this Forum and I have a few questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello, I might be a bit naive but I am new this forum and I am actually new to collecting watches. From what I have read so far I know I might just be hung here for asking these questions but I would really like to understand a few things. I mentioned that I have recently started collecting watches and the ones I have gotten this far have all been Invicta (cringe) However, I really like the simplistic and sharp look of the dive watches. I then found out that even though they looked nice they were japan made watches which I noticed right away that they were not selling for so much. Because I got the dive watches that were automatic I realized also that they would have to be shaken about 3 times a day to keep running. So i packed them all up that I had purchased and sent them back to the places I had bought them. I started doing some reading and found out about the Swiss made watches and then started buying the invicta watches that I liked and that were Swiss made. Which brings me to my question. If a watch is Swiss made and from what I understand that bearing the mark of Swiss made that watch is then made in Switzerland and Swiss made watches (no matter who the company name is on the watch) is not governed by the watch company but by the Swiss that are making the watch. So to me in my mind... why would anyone have a problem with any company that have there watches made in Switzerland? Wouldn't it then be the choice of the person that is buying the watch and the kind of style that they prefer? I have looked at LOTS of Tag watches and to be honest I couldn't find ONE style that I even really cared for. Sorry if I am showing my ignorance but I just would like to understand.
    Thanks

Re: New to this Forum and I have a few questions.

Hard to read all that and to be honest I smell a troll coming on. Let's see...
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

I have noticed troll being said several times in different post and again.. sorry for being naive but .. what does that mean?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not really sure what you're asking but I doubt if any Invictas are made in Japan. It would be far too expensive for them. Some models may have Japanese movements. As for 'Swiss Made' those words are worth far more to the company using them than to the buyer. It's no guarantee of a particular level of quality.

Swiss Made is not always better than Japan Made or Made in China.

Search google for what qualifies as Swiss Made - hopefully you'll recognise the huuuuuuuuge allowance for a lot of the watch to be made elsewhere to any standard.

Also, why would a watch necessarily be better if it is made in Switzerland rather than a couple of miles over the border in Italy?
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Okay ... I am VERY confused now then. Why would it mean so much for a company to have Swiss made on the watch if it didn't guarantee any level of quality. From what I understand long ago ... a Swiss made watch was the best kind of watch to get.

Because from what I understood Swiss made watches adhere to a HIGHER level of quality then any other standard and because of that reason are more highly sought after. I do understand the difference of being Swiss made and it saying Swiss parts.

You have a lot to learn.

Again I would suggest a lot of research and reading.

A lot of very good watchmakers are Swiss. That doesn't mean all watches that place Swiss Made on the dial are good. Why would it? There is no great Swiss quality controller that makes sure every single watch produced there meets a certain criteria.

German cars get a good reputation (I'm not that big into cars, so I apologise if this isn't true). Does that mean any car made as cheaply as possible in Germany is good?

Swiss Made OFTEN is a signal of quality - but that's more because a lot of the 'good' brands have a history there and there is a lot of watchmaking history, expertise, skill, etc. all clustered in small pockets there. It has produced a sort of cachet around it that others are keen to cash in on.

For example, Invicta can sell a watch for $100 (with a hugely inflated MSRP in all likelihood) that was made in China.

They can also set up production in Switzerland, use a Swiss quartz movement and change a couple of other components to meet the Swiss Made criteria. All of this will be assembled by pretty much the same people with the same level of training following the same processes. The quality of the assembled product is likely to be very similar to that of the $100 model. Sure, it will have cost them more to make (maybe $25 instead of $10), but because of the Swiss Made label printed on the dial they can now charge $500 for them.

Why?

Because there are many, many people out there who believe that the geographical location has an exact, unbreakable, direct link to how good something is.

Once again, I encourage you to research and read.
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; September 30th, 2015 at 09:50.
    BusyTimmy, watch_hor and doggbiter like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)

I will agree that I have a lot to learn, hence the reason that I am here and I am asking questions to people that obviously know more then I do. I have done research and I have looked things up on the internet about this issues. When watching about watches that were produced in Switzerland It talked about the quality that went into the watches that were made there and that the DO have Higher standards that anyone else and that they go through quality control that better than anyone else so that is the reason that baring the mark Swiss made meant something. A watch that says SWISS made at 6 o'clock is an authentic made in Switzerland watch. Once digital watches came out they started being made for a LOT cheaper in Japan and it really hurt the market of Swiss made watches however, because of this a lot of company folded because they couldn't compete with the prices that were dropping for watches. However instead of changing the quality that they had done for years they maintained that quality and it's a standard that others have to try and compete with. All that seems to make sense to me.

A lot of Swiss watchmakers do have great QC, attention to detail etc. which is why Swiss Made came to mean something.

However, there is NOTHING to stop someone making a shoddy watch in Switzerland.

Once you understand this you'll take all of the marketing schpiel with a pinch of salt. It CAN be a sign of quality (and often is) - all I'm suggesting is to understand what it means (and what it doesn't) so you can avoid jumping to incorrect conclusions.
    Brad (@bradwatch)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information