New to the forum with a question

Thread: New to the forum with a question

New to the forum with a question

First I want to say that I'm new here but have been lurking around on and off. This place is great. Now I have a chance to say thank you to everyone for everything I've learned so far. Hope you guys can help me with this.
    Some background... I had a Swiss Army titanium watch I got as a gift in 1999-2000. It was my freshman year of college, but I cant remember if it was the fall or spring. Not long after I got it, the pin broke so I put it away to get it fixed next time I went home. That's the last time I remember seeing it. Thought about a few times in the last decade and it was a complete blank at this point. Fast forward to May 2013 and I'm going through old boxes at my mom's house. What??!!!!! In a random shoebox, with random school supplies is a plastic bag with the watch in it!!! That was a weird feeling. It was in a closet for 13 years.
    Well, of course I want to start wearing it again so I put new pins in it, a simple nato strap, and had the battery and gasket changed. Noticed the second hand isnt really working. It can tick normal for hours, then it sticks, jumps 3-5 seconds and repeats for a few minutes. Then goes back to normal. Don't know how often it does this, but it lost 22 mins the first day. Sometimes it ticks then stalls for a second or two then resumes with no jump. It happens almost every time the crown is pulled out to adjust the hands or date. Click it back in and it does something funny. I'm don't know enough about the mechanics to even make a guess.
    I can't find anything about this watch. Anything. It's like it never existed. I don't know the movement or any other specifics. I do have the box with book and warranty card but i can't find it right now. I did see it last year though. I'm looking for it right now. I'm pretty sure its not fake cause I actually remember being at the jewelry store with my mom when we bought it. I think it was in the $550-$580 price range.
    My god this is long, sorry. But any info on the problem its having and on the watch itself would be unbelievable. I'm just a little excited from finding it and a lot disappointed that it doesn't work. Seriously, thanks for reading all that!
    edit: Didn't know where to post this cause I didn't find a SA or victorinox specific section. Sorry if this the wrong place.
    Name:  watch front.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  145.4 KB
    Name:  watch back.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  144.2 KB
    Name:  watch side.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  140.9 KB

Last edited by trainwrck; June 24th, 2013 at 21:31.

Re: New to the forum with a question

Looks like battery end-of-life indicator. It's supposed to to tick every 4 seconds to warn of a dying battery, but it's also supposed to keep correct time.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Believe it or not, I have had jewelry stores put nearly dead (out of date?) batteries into quartz watches before. They last 2-5 days then die, take the same watch to a different store and presto! The watch lives! Some stores don't rotate their battery stock or even look at the expiration date before placing it in someones watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know that you've said that you had a new battery fitted but it looks to me like the end of life indicator has activated.

Quote Originally Posted by swissgmt View Post
    Believe it or not, I have had jewelry stores put nearly dead (out of date?) batteries into quartz watches before. They last 2-5 days then die, take the same watch to a different store and presto! The watch lives! Some stores don't rotate their battery stock or even look at the expiration date before placing it in someones watch.
    +1 Plus Wal-Mart is bad about this.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll take it back and ask for a new battery. Seems crazy that the jewelry store I frequent would use an old battery. Hopefully it was just a dud or an expired one that fell through the cracks. Now it's less about the battery and more about me continuing to shop there. Thanks again guys.
    Glad I don't use Walmart as a jeweler :)

Thread Information