New to the forum and to watches...

Thread: New to the forum and to watches...

New to the forum and to watches...

Hey everyone! I'm pretty much new to this whole thing and its quickly becoming addicting! Was wondering if there was any advice for this newbie... All started when I went to get something inexpensive to go with my outfit for a "hoity toity" event I was invited to (no offense to the rich hoity toities on this site... I saw some guy with a huge collection of zenith watches LOL). After that I ordered a citizen 8700 online, it was kind of tacky when I finally got to see it in person but it wasnt that much money so no biggie... But I must say each watch in itself is like a moving piece of art, I think that's whats captivated me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New to the forum and to watches...

WELCOME acidragon!

once you discover this world you become more and more addict every day so... prepare for more, suddenly you find your self looking at people wrists trying to identify that watch, staring at the motion of the seconds hand to decipher if it is a mechanical movement or quartz hahahaha well at least that´s what happens to me. An advice? well enjoy, read, comment, post pictures, give opinions and the rest will come to you automatically.

nice watches by the way!

Ha! I actually do look at people's watches when I'm riding the subway lol! Looking at some of the pics on this forum I'm leaning towards some of the Longines, Omegas and Breitling watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to our world. Hide your pocketbook. It can be an expensive, but fun ride! Enjoy yourself!!

acidragon,

First of all, welcome to our circle of friends who share some sort of mad indulgence!

While I am not prepared to give any advice or even suggestion, may I share a bit of my observation?

Many novices tend to be attracted to somewhat chunky watches with lots of "features", and many of them stay with this kind of watches too. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if there is a "hoity toity" event that you are to go to, a watch like that might not be totally appropriate: a sports watch is meant to be for specific purposes but not for dressed-up formal occasions. There is a whole world of simple, understated, elegant dress watches out there, with smooth slim cases which can slip in and out of your shirt cuff without the help of your other hand: in fact trying to help your watch in and out of your cuff is not a very polite thing to do in formal events. There are countless slim dress watches, both new and pre-owned, and price-wise they range from modestly priced to "the sky is the limit" too.

As an example off the top of my head this is my Poljot Vympel ultra-thin, designed in 1961, but this particular example was sold by Sekonda UK in the second half of the 1960s. In due course I will replace the original crystal with another which will shave off another millimetre from its overall thickness.

Name:  bg_deluxe_3.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  42.3 KB

no doubt! after seeing some of the photos on this site I can see how less can be more... and how simple can show more style than a watch which is busy and loud... Thanks for the 2 pennies!

Thread Information