New Fossil "Swiss" watches - What are they thinking!
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Fossil "Swiss" watches - What are they thinking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Fossil "Swiss" watches - What are they thinking!

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Fossil apparently just released info on some new watches they are selling called the "Swiss" line. Yes, I am talking about THAT Fossil that makes the cheap watches for department stores.

These watches use some kind of generic swiss automatic movement, look very bland, and are priced at almost $900. Has the company lost their mind? They went from producing cheap, poor quality quartz watches that cost less than $100 to trying to sell a $900 watch? Who in their right mind would buy one! That is $200 more than an auto Hamilton with an ETA movement!

Re: New Fossil "Swiss" watches - What are they thinking!

Your a bit late.

Already an existing thread for them.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/auto...es-817345.html

I really like the way they look, but do think the pricing is way off base. Perhaps the price will come down, perhaps they'll sell a ton.

Time will tell.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think that they think that they'll make a lot of money off of them by playing into people's "snob" appeal. Random Joe gets a Fossil thinking it's a super high quality watch and brags to his buddy that it's Swiss made. My opinion of course!
    Current: Seiko 5 SNGZ71, Seiko SKX007, G-Shock G9000-1V

Grail: Omega SMP 300 or Planet Ocean Orange Bezel

Admitted Seiko fan!

Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em.

And the problem is?

The crazy thing is, they might just be able to do it. You would be surprised to realize how many people out there in the US right now who think Fossil makes really good watches. Many people would say that you own a quality watch if you own a Fossil. There are people with brand loyalty to the brand. It would be possible to market to their already large following. They are not going to try to compete with Hamilton. What they are going to do is take their own customers and attempt to move a small percentage of them upmarket. They are already probably uneducated about more expensive timepieces, that is why they are buying Fossils. So, they may be able to be talked into sticking with their brand loyalty when they decide to buy a more expensive watch.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    You would be surprised to realize how many people out there in the US right now who think Fossil makes really good watches. Many people would say that you own a quality watch if you own a Fossil.
    I'm more surprised by how many people think they are not good watches. I have an old Fossil Blue that has to be close to 10 years old now and still keeps great time. It only needs set twice a year for daylight savings. I bought mine used ($30-$40 I think, tough to remember) but the retail on it was still less than $100 usd and, if anything does go wrong with it or I want to replace the crystal, Fossil will completely overhaul it for $35. No, the fit and finish are not on par with Omega but, for what I paid for it, the value far surpasses what I could have possibly expected.

Am I going to rush out and drop 1K on their new "Swiss" line? Probably not. Mostly because the styling does not really call to me. But who knows... if their autos maintain a similar value to cost ratio, it might turn out to be a good buy. I guess we'll see when new owners start popping up on WUS.

Here is a quick phone pic of the ol' girl.

Last edited by J.W.; February 18th, 2013 at 19:15.
    drhr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahoomba View Post
    Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em.

And the problem is?
    Yes exactly. Some of us are getting hung up on the name and can't move on to actually look at the watches. Every thing I have seen is that they promise to be quality swiss branded watches. They are obviously marketed to younger non-WIS who grew up with and recognize the Fossil name. Those individuals are now financially well off and able to afford a quality watch with lots of classy retro appeal.

I'm reminded over the agony some on WUS express over Bulova introducing a line of quality mechanical watches using the Accutron name. I'm old enough to remember the tuning fork Accutrons being sold in the 1960's and I think it is great to see the Accutron name reused on really nice modern mechanical watches. I own two.
    Last edited by John MS; February 18th, 2013 at 19:54.

The normal Fossil watch costs between $50-$200. I'm not sure that customer is willing to pay 1k for one of their watches.

They're thinking they're nice looking well made watches with what appears to be a nice movement. Seiko does it, why not Fossil? And they're thinking they'll sell them and they're thinking they'll make money on them. Not bad thoughts all the way around. If they had them larger than 38mm, they could possibly strap one to my wrist.
    drhr likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information