New Grand Seiko GMT + Photos: First Look at Timeless Watch Exchange
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: New Grand Seiko GMT + Photos: First Look at Timeless Watch Exchange

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New Grand Seiko GMT + Photos: First Look at Timeless Watch Exchange

Dan at Timeless Watch Exchange was kind enough to let me look at some of his new models when I stopped by to pick up my new GS the other day and I wanted to give my impressions of some of the interesting models there, starting with the Seikos that surprised me the most, the new versions of the mechanical GMT, the SBGM031. There are actually two versions of this watch, the second being the more "aggressive" and sportier version on a bracelet, the SBGM029. A lot of people confuse these on a glance, so here's a little comparison between Seiko's stock photos so you know what to ask for when you order one. We'll be looking at both.

This is the SBGM029

And here's the 31.

Here's a tip for those that are still getting to know Grand Seiko. When you see letters SBGM, you know you're dealing with a mechanical GMT model. That's got an intuitive appeal due to the "GM."

Anyway, while these two models are superficially similar, due to the color scheme, they really have little in common. The 29 has a much sportier bezel, but a cleaner dial and a much longer GMT hand. So make sure you've got the right one when you order it.

Alright, so now for some real photos of the 31:

Edit: There are some sort of technical problems with the original high def photos, so I've added low-res duplicates copied over in a different way until I can get the high-res ones sorted out, so if you see duplicates, I apologize, I'll try to get it working tomorrow when my internet is much faster.

The thing that really struck me is that in all the stock photos I'd seen, the hands and GMT numbers were "painted" orange or yellow. That's just because Seiko, like most watch companies, oddly, take terrible stock photos. In real life, the GMT hand and GMT numbers look like they're yellow gold. It actually looks great.

This image shows off the gold "metallic" look of the hands and numerals. As I've complained about before, and although Dan is great at taking photos, GSes just don't photograph well. In real life, these details leave an impression, where in photos, you're struggling to see what I'm talking about.

Another interesting thing about these models is that they use brushed hands as opposed to the standard mirror polished ones. It actually does look nice, although I think I'm going to stick with my ordinary polished ones. This may be due to the fact that the blue dial is actually pretty shiny in direct light (to increase contrast).

Name:  557522_10100145336606254_128036435_n.jpg
Views: 3608
Size:  58.3 KB

This is probably the part that's going to generate the most conversation and controversy. These two GSes use a really unique rotor. In actual appearance, it has a sort of "fiber" look, as in, it kind of looks like blue carbon fiber. I'm not sure why that's the case, since apparently the blue disk is titanium and the actual rotor (you can see where it's mounted by the little ball bearing-looking things on the bottom of the rotor) is made from tungsten.

Name:  538763_10100145336661144_576754745_n.jpg
Views: 3605
Size:  48.2 KB

This photo shows the "fiber" look a little better. The rotor actually is pretty cool in real life, although I wish it covered less of the movement. It's interesting to see the rotor stay basically perfectly still as you rotate the watch around in your hand, I suppose as a byproduct of the ultra-heavy rotor. It is more impressive than, say, my 8500 rotor because to see the half-rotor on an ordinary watch stay at the bottom makes visual sense. When the entire "disk" of this watch stays still, it's a bit more mystifying, like watching the RR in a Rolls Royce wheel maintain its position.

Name:  523578_10100145336735994_447309577_n.jpg
Views: 3967
Size:  44.8 KB

This shows the watch's cool thick, domed, double-curved and AR coated sapphire.

Name:  549468_10100145336770924_1598757437_n.jpg
Views: 3537
Size:  40.9 KB

A word on the movements of both of these models. They use the 9S66 movement, which, other than the custom rotor, is more or less the same thing as the ordinary 9S66 (the GMT version of the 9S65). Thus, it shares the excellent stats of the ordinary 9S6X models, like a 72 hour power reserve, 35 jewels, and 28,800 BPH. Interestingly, and for no particular reason I know of, Seiko actually is rating these two watches with a better than GS chronometer spec range. According to Seiko, these are certified to an amazing +5/-2 (!), which is one second tighter than even my 9S85's +5/-3. Thus, these are the second most accurate mechanical Seikos sold today, and among the most accurate mechanical watches ever made. That stat is from Seiko's official webpage, so I take it as true. I have also read, via forums, that this new rotor design may be to somehow increase shock resistance, but I haven't seen it in official Seiko literature yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

Here are some photos of the sportier model, the 029, although in terms of movement (and cool blue rotor) they are identical so far as I'm aware:

Name:  527123_10100145336825814_2120503899_n.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  53.0 KB

In photos, this looks like a much larger watch than the 031. But it's actually almost the exact same size in real life, nearly 40mm.

Name:  424621_10100145336840784_2006662326_n.jpg
Views: 3540
Size:  52.8 KB

Here you can see the big non-rotating GMT bezel, which allows them to clean up the dial a little by removing those GMT numbers. As another side-effect of this choice, they've greater increased the length of the GMT hand to point to the bezel. So you get a busier case and a cleaner dial overall.

Name:  558166_10100145336890684_110380150_n.jpg
Views: 3814
Size:  55.3 KB

In a sense, I see this, and the other models like it, as a direct competitor to the Rolex Explorer 2. I actually really like the Explorer 2, but I have always found its bezel unimpressive. The extremely low grit polishing on the Explorer 2 looks amateurish to me. Seiko's finer polish looks nicer. I also prefer the gold GMT hand to the Explorer 2's orange (although I did like the old red one quite a bit). As per the milk white dial versus the shiny blue one, I could go either way. Both great watches for GMT fans. Of course, only one of them has a Grand Seiko movement.

Name:  580111_10100145336930604_34353504_n.jpg
Views: 3742
Size:  62.0 KB

Personally, I'm not a big fan of crown guards, but this one fits the case quite well.

Name:  549529_10100145336985494_1577954320_n.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  62.7 KB

It's really difficult to photograph, like all GS dials, but the dial is actually a really polished, shiny blue. It kind of reminds me of the Planet Ocean Liquid Metal.

Name:  545910_10100145337080304_1796316983_n.jpg
Views: 3559
Size:  48.1 KB

This photo shows the dial a bit better (notice that those aren't just shadows of the hands; they're reflections) but I like it to show the dual curved sapphire. On less nice watches with curved sapphire, at extreme angles, there's substantial distortion because they are only curved on one side and thus the thickness of the crystal increases dramatically at sharp angles. On a GS, dual curved sapphire crystal is used that eliminates this distortion--you can look through the crystal at virtually any angle and see straight through as if the crystal were invisible. Also note that this model does not use the super domed sapphire of the 031.

So there you have it: Two really impressive GSes from Timeless Watch Exchange. If these do it for you, I'd call him soon because these look to me like a big collector's item. For those who complain that GS doesn't take enough chances, here's your watch. Shiny blue dial with gold GMT accents and that crazy rotor. Particularly the 29 is impressive as an aggressive, sporty watch, but it's not over the top. As you can see, outside of direct light, the dial is a very dark blue and is subdued. But it just lights up in sunlight.

So give Dan a call at Timeless Watch Exchange and order a GS.

Name:  Timeless.jpg
Views: 3501
Size:  21.2 KB

And you can leave with this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CitizenM; September 3rd, 2012 at 05:59.

Re: New Grand Seiko GMT + Photos: First Look at Timeless Watch Exchange

I like it. I'd like it more if your review included an MSRP! Lol. Hard to get a handle on prices here at US AD locations without calling.

My goodness, awesome as always. No doubt, you love Seiko, it shows and I applaud you for your insightful posts.

While I do not believe (from your previous posts) that you currently work in a horological field, I do hope, at some point in your life, you are able to do so. Perhaps as a part-time job in retirement, or as an aside to a full-time occupation. But your enthusiasm shines, truly. Thanks for sharing!

Dan
    CitizenM and fasthandssam like this.
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For some reason, the photos aren't loading for me, except for the stock photos. I need to drop by the Grand Seiko AD the next time I'm in Los Angles. I was in Toronto recently, and was quite annoyed to find out that the Seiko boutique closed down.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I prefer the 29 model
    marchone likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Haven't finished reading your post yet, but I can't see any of the photos except for the first 3 "stock" photos and the last 2 of the Timeless emblem. Which sucks, because I'm always looking forward to more "in real life" photos of these Grand Seiko's. Is there something I can do to see them? Or do you want to try editing your post?
    CitizenM likes this.

Hmm, interesting, I copied them from my photobucket (as opposed to Facebook, which I normally used, but stop because of this exact problem). I don't know what's up with this. Unfortunately, my internet connection is really slow, so I really have to avoid uploading them directly because in this resolution it'd take like 10 minutes per photo. Hmm....I will fix this somehow, maybe I'll have to go to a coffee shop and upload them directly.

These aren't my crappy phone photos either, these are with Timeless' DSLR.

Okay, until CitizenM fixes the Dropbox links, these are some real life photos from Joe at AZ Fine Time. It's a stunning looking watch. I assume the quickset is on the main 12 hour hand?

Grand Seiko Mechanical GMT 10th Anniversary Limited Edition SBGM029

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

GREAT photo, really shows off the intense blue dial in natural light, and the more refined (in my opinion) polishing on the bezel when compared to the Rolex Explorer 2.

And yes, there is no quickset date per se, but it does have independent 24 and 12 hour hands making it a legit GMT model.

I don't see pics either...
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information