New guy looking for $3k budget watch!
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New guy looking for $3k budget watch!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New guy looking for $3k budget watch!

I recently found about about this forum.

I am looking for a watch around $3k, and I really like TagHeuer Grand Carrera 6RS model (selling for $2899 + tax). I am looking for an automatic watch with non-leather strap. I do want a date window.

Any suggestions? In case you are wondering, I am trying to get it from Costco (not sure I am going to get flamed for this). I generally had good experience with their products and price.

I am thinking of purchasing it tomorrow...Let me know. Thanks!

[edit]

http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/wiki/brandguide

Is this accurate in terms of brand tiers? Not sure if I should specifically look into a certain brand. I am personally a fan of Omega watches but that TagHeuer really caught my eye.
    Last edited by Enilder; April 1st, 2015 at 02:39.

Re: New guy looking for $3k budget watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Enilder View Post
    I recently found about about this forum.

I am looking for a watch around $3k, and I really like TagHeuer Grand Carrera 6RS model (selling for $2899 + tax). I am looking for an automatic watch with non-leather strap. I do want a date window.

Any suggestions? In case you are wondering, I am trying to get it from Costco (not sure I am going to get flamed for this). I generally had good experience with their products and price.

I am thinking of purchasing it tomorrow...Let me know. Thanks!

[edit]

brandguide - Watches

Is this accurate in terms of brand tiers? Not sure if I should specifically look into a certain brand. I am personally a fan of Omega watches but that TagHeuer really caught my eye.
    Personally, at the price point I would buy something used. Yes you will get a "lifetime" warranty from costco, but you are also subject to whatever they have in stock at the time.

You will lose a lot of $$ compared to retail if you buy something new around $3K. Getting a used speedy, seamaster, etc. I think is a better value then buying a new Tag. Just my 2 cents.
    edhchoe, socrates35 and avt80 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dabecassis View Post
    Personally, at the price point I would buy something used. Yes you will get a "lifetime" warranty from costco, but you are also subject to whatever they have in stock at the time.

You will lose a lot of $$ compared to retail if you buy something new around $3K. Getting a used speedy, seamaster, etc. I think is a better value then buying a new Tag. Just my 2 cents.

Seconded.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, we like Costco.
    We're not so sure about T. Heuer.
    We cry bitter tiers.
    Bronte likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Tag doesn't appeal to me regardless of the hit if you manage to resell it.
    I'd look a tudor, nomos, Junghans, preowned rolex or omega.
    avt80 likes this.
    Watches safe with me :

giving up listing ...

Gone but not forgotten ^^
    Subc LV ( hulk ) , Speedy pro , Pelagos , Black Bay , ML MP 7138 , GMTiic , Explorer ii polar , Stowa Flieger LE , Zenith captain PR , Seamaster Pro and a bunch of others :(

Also have a look at Ball Trainmaster first flight and Fireman storm chaser.

Well, I'll be the first to say I'm a big Tag Heuer fan. I know there are those with legitimate arguments for why they don't like the brand, but keep in mind that a good deal of the brands "forum polarization" is likely the result of a self-perpetuating, group-think mentality. Guys come into forums every day asking about Tag Heuer because they like what they see. Then they're told by 5 out of 9 responders that they can do better than a Tag, so they buy something else. Then, the next time someone asks about Tag.... they're the first to advise against it. Now 6 out of 9 are responding against the brand...

Yeah, I'll get bashed for that...but it's ok.

Moving on, my advise would still be to look at other brands such as Oris, Longines, Baume et Mercier, Ball...they all offer similarly priced watches. If in the end, the Tag is still calling you...buy it because you like it. Personal appeal should ultimately trump everything else. After all, we're not the ones that'll be strapping it to our wrist every day.

Just a quick follow up to my earlier post. I think the discussion so far (including my own post) is not doing your primary question service. What we should be evaluating are the merits of the specific watch, not "brand" opinions in general. I'm not too familiar with that particular model, so I'll simply mention that I suspect a Grand Carrera for under 3K is probably quite a bit of watch for the money.
    Last edited by Zeroedout; April 1st, 2015 at 05:10.

Thanks everyone. I know how this usually plays out. If we throw out the "resale" variable in the equation, I guess "get whatever you feel like getting" is the answer.

Gonna check out Omega watches...Will report back. Thanks everyone!!!

I just purchased a Tag last Friday. I bought the Tag F1 Chronograph Automatic with date window. I looked at lots of watches and brands. I always came back to the one that caught my eye which was the Tag. Go with your gut. I will also say I am new to this forum but I speak my mind. I will say I am eyeballing an Omega Speedmaster Pro for my next purchase. It may be a few months away but I believe it will be next on my list. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information