New here, I have a question

Thread: New here, I have a question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New here, I have a question

I am new here and a little weary of searching for this answer so I am just putting my question out there.

Where does Citizen watches stand in the line of watches.

You see the best watches I own are Citizen so are they considered to be above a Timex and below a Rolex?

Are they considered to be "upper end" I know that there are watches out there that cost more then my house and car and yearly income but I will probably never own one.

So the question is this "Is there a "pecking order" list anywhere on here that can show me where some makers stand?

Who is the Rolls Royce who is the Yugo?

Re: New here, I have a question

Well with your first post you have hit on a never ending debate. It is difficult to guage who are the best as many watchmakers have models that are of different complexity, different metals and different desireability.

Patek Philippe, Lange & Sohne, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet are among the big boys at the top, Rolex is more about the mid level and your Citizen and Timex can be debated as to who is above whom....it is going to depend on the model.

There is a big field out there and there is no clear consensus.

The average Citizen watches that you will typically see in a mall jewelry store will generally fall into a slot above Timex or Casio and below the entry level and mid-level luxury brands. However, Citizen builds some very nice higher end watches.
    Citizen builds a fine watch.
    Generally speaking.
    Don't flame me.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Man View Post
    I am new here and a little weary of searching for this answer so I am just putting my question out there.

Where does Citizen watches stand in the line of watches.

You see the best watches I own are Citizen so are they considered to be above a Timex and below a Rolex?

Are they considered to be "upper end" I know that there are watches out there that cost more then my house and car and yearly income but I will probably never own one.

So the question is this "Is there a "pecking order" list anywhere on here that can show me where some makers stand?

Who is the Rolls Royce who is the Yugo?
    Citizen and Seiko produce watches of comparable quality and styling. Both are known for producing very large numbers of accurate, reliable and reasonably priced timekeepers. It is for those reasons that both companies pretty much dominate the market in terms of numer of watches produced. Citizen produces an incrediblywide range of watches, so it's really a bit tough to say where they are exactly.

Citizen makes watches like The Citizen, Campanola, Cosmosign, etc., that sell in the thousands. They also make $50.00 watches sold at the local discount department store. The common thread is that they are uniformly reliable and well made.

Banned

It is hard to pigeonhole Citizen. It is definitely not one of the most expensive brands. The most expensive brands might have watches starting at US$10,0000 and going up to US$1,000,000 (in extreme). The most expensive Citizen is probably less than US$10,000 (an 18k The Citizen, I believe).

But as John MS said, Citizens start at US$66 (according to Amazon), or $40 (accoring to ebay), which is pretty much as cheap as a mainstream branded watch can get. Maybe Timex and Casio start a little cheaper. Timex and casio certainly don't stretch to US$10k though.

I am speculating here, but I would say Citizen sell most watches, globally, between US$100-200.

They are among the best quality watches I am aware of, from the point of view of functionality. Whether the most affordable models or the priciest models, they seem to be extremely reliable. Quality, in terms of fit and finish, obviously increases with price.

Wow, if Rolex is a mid level then there are lots of expensive stuff out there that I never heard of.

I guess Citizen will be "my high end" watches with Fossil about middle and then Timex and Casio "low end".

I really didn't think that there would be a "pecking order" it is just what are you looking for what does it have to do and what materials do you want it made out of.

Thanks for your answers. Swiss Man

There are many watches much higher regarded than Rolex. They are probably not very well known by most people who have little interest in watches.

In your initial post you ask who is the Rolls Royce....well Rolex is the Cadillac...a fine car to be sure, a great ride that will serve you well....but to the car enthusiasts , there are BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambourghini, Rolls, Bugatti, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc...all higher regarded, more interesting and more rare.

I've had a vision:

- Swiss Man gets to 200 posts and buys a Tissot
    - Swiss Man gets to 400 posts and buys a Tag
    - Swiss Man gets to 500 posts and flips the Tissot help to fund an Omega

Welcome to WUS Swiss Man.
    Last edited by interested_party; March 30th, 2010 at 04:38.

Citizen has a full line of watches from the low to high end. They also manufacture their own movements in house unlike so many other "high end" watch companies. Citizen also sells their movements to other watch companies.

The N.A. market always gets the "low to mid" end watches but JDM Citizen are quite nice. Like Seiko, Citizen has suffered from disorganized marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by interested_party View Post
    I've had a vision:

- Swiss Man gets to 200 posts and buys a Tissot
    - Swiss Man gets to 400 posts and buys a Tag
    - Swiss Man gets to 500 posts and flips the Tissot help to fund an Omega

Welcome to WUS Swiss Man.

hahahahahaa, yeah I can totally see that happening!

swiss man, switch that ranking you had around: I would put Fossil at the bottom & timex/casio above them. Leave your Citizen at the top.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009