New here, and I just purchased a new watch but wonder...

Thread: New here, and I just purchased a new watch but wonder...

New here, and I just purchased a new watch but wonder...

... did I do the right thing?

I saw a Fortis Spacematic ECO last night right before TJMAXX closed. I was smitten a little. Never seen one before, so I went home and looked it up and found a recent post here that said something to the effect of the ECO being much like a Seiko Kinetic in that it's really a quartz movement that recharges by wrist movement. I also saw that it might have been a discontinued thing too. I thought I'd get myself a fully automatic watch, since every watch I have in my rotation uses batteries, and I'm tired of that.

Then I saw that there's a Spacematic that's non-ECO, and it made me wonder.. I'd seen two there last night, and one was marked down from $499 to $376, causing me to question if one was ECO and one was not. So I went back this morning.

I came home with the Fortis Spacematic Day/Date (non-eco) for $376. So now I've got this 200M water resistant automatic watch with a stainless bracelet and screwdown crown, light silver face (or is it white? looks silver), box, paper, warranty, etc.

It's big, but I like how easy it is to read. I need a second hand, or I'd keep wearing my titanium Tissot T-touch, which is heavier than this. I've got a dressy little Seiko titanium, really light, but I'm bored with it.

I'm wondering if I should keep this thing. I can't help but revel in the deal though... a $1200 or so watch for $376? It's all over the internet for nearly $900.

Thanks for reading... buyer remorse is a funny thing. I knew I'd have it as I walked out. Just like I did on the umpteen other watches I've bought. I'm a watch junkie.

ND

Re: New here, and I just purchased a new watch but wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by ND2007 View Post

I saw a Fortis Spacematic ECO last night right before TJMAXX closed. I was smitten a little. Never seen one before, so I went home and looked it up and found a recent post here that said something to the effect of the ECO being much like a Seiko Kinetic in that it's really a quartz movement that recharges by wrist movement. I also saw that it might have been a discontinued thing too. I thought I'd get myself a fully automatic watch, since every watch I have in my rotation uses batteries, and I'm tired of that.

Then I saw that there's a Spacematic that's non-ECO, and it made me wonder.. I'd seen two there last night, and one was marked down from $499 to $376, causing me to question if one was ECO and one was not. So I went back this morning.

I came home with the Fortis Spacematic Day/Date (non-eco) for $376. So now I've got this 200M water resistant automatic watch with a stainless bracelet and screwdown crown, light silver face (or is it white? looks silver), box, paper, warranty, etc.

It's big, but I like how easy it is to read. I need a second hand, or I'd keep wearing my titanium Tissot T-touch, which is heavier than this. I've got a dressy little Seiko titanium, really light, but I'm bored with it.

I'm wondering if I should keep this thing. I can't help but revel in the deal though... a $1200 or so watch for $376? It's all over the internet for nearly $900.

Thanks for reading... buyer remorse is a funny thing. I knew I'd have it as I walked out. Just like I did on the umpteen other watches I've bought. I'm a watch junkie.

ND
    Nice watch, congrats! IMO you did right! Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by ND2007 View Post

ND
    Keep it in the box for a few days and if it begs to come out, put it on your wrist. Otherwise take advantage of TJ's return policy and let the hunt continue! IMHO you got a raging deal on that Spacematic and I would be all over it as my first auto. Don't worry, it sounds like more will be on the way, probably sooner than you think!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Almost forgot; welcome to the forum!

stuffler,mike

Welcome to Watchuseek and welcome to our Public Forum as well. With a Fortis you get the right watch to start with

Thanks guys.

Yeah, this is a long time thing for me already.

Never go to the Caribbean, drink, and then go look at watches. That's how I wound up with my Tissot.

Last night's trip to TJMaxx was part of a date my wife and I had last night. We rarely get to to go anywhere together without our 5 year old. So we did dinner, walk on the boardwalk, and then she wanted to go to TJM to find our son some clothes. I made the mistake of going to the watch counter. Come to think of it we were celebrating Cinco De Mayo with a 'rita each.

I am liking the Fortis though. I think the quality is excellent. The band is resized by removing screws from the links, which is awesome. I always hated the pressure fitted pins. I'm not a big wristed guy, and this is pretty big and chunky for me, but it's still nice. It's heavy, but I'll get used to it. Clear, easy to read. And the deal. I can't forget the deal.

When I get a chance I'll take and post some pics.

ND
    Watches I've got:
    Oris TT1 Diver,
    Citizen Calibre 9000 minute repeater,
    Movado Eliro Chrono,
    Fortis Spacematic Day/Date,
    Tissot T-Touch Ti,
    Seiko Ti,
    Rado Couple
    Grandpa's early Seiko automatic,
    Dad's Benrus WristAlarm

Welcome to WUS and congrats on the Fortis!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

There is no buyer's remorse at TJ MAXX until 31 days after the sale!
    "Find the little bastards......and then pile on!" Maj Gen George S Patton IV

Honored & Proud Member, "G5" (Disdained by the intellectually dishonest!)

Thread Information