New here and wanted to say hi..and a question

Thread: New here and wanted to say hi..and a question

Confused New here and wanted to say hi..and a question

Hi all,
    I just wanted to say hi (after a few years lurking) and introduce myself. I have really enjoyed all of the interesting and witty posts, not to mention all the info available.
    It was mentioned in an earlier post about some automatics are not supposed to be hand wound, and I have not seen a list of those watches. Does anyone know of such a list?
    Thanks in advance!

I can't help you with your question because I'm relatively new as well and don't have an answer but I will say welcome to the club!

Re: New here and wanted to say hi..and a question

Welcome to the fold! I think it's the watches that use the 2824 movement that shouldn't be handwound regularly, but I'm sure someone will come along and confirm/correct as the case may be.

In general, I don't fully hand wind my automatics as they often don't have as robust of a system for handwinding and you can potentially wear out the gears there. I may give them a couple of turns to get them going. However, I've got so many watches that the danger of me overwinding any of my watches is pretty remote. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DR407 View Post
    It was mentioned in an earlier post about some automatics are not supposed to be hand wound, and I have not seen a list of those watches. Does anyone know of such a list?
    Thanks in advance!
    its not that you CANT, its just that they're not meant to be hand wound as much as a manual. you can literally turn the crown on a manual all day.

This seems to be another question that will never have a definitive answer. I have read a ton of threads debating this and even a few from manufacturers documenting the wear and tear this creates. Some people hand wind them every day and swear it doesn't cause problems and others never will do this. I personally do not to hand wind my autos jist in case. Better safe than sorry when I can just shake them a bunch of times and be good to go.

As my collection is growing, I am getting closer and closer to buying some winders but I kind of pride myself by keeping mine running everyday. It's kind of like one of those stupid Tamagachi pets that you had to feed and clean up after that I remember my sister had when we were younger.

Welcome to the forum DR. The winding mechanism on an auto is not as robust as that on a hand winder so the secret is to be gentle with it.

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! I do handwind my autos to get them started, but I don' t fully wind them.
    Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! You will find two schools of thought for hand winding automatics. I hand wind my autos rarely and just keep them on a winder.
    Sinn 556 I
    Steinhart OVM New
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
    Citizen Brycen Chronograph
    Traser H3 Officer Pro
    1924 Elgin Pocket Watch
    G Shock G-100 1-BV
    Timex Weekender
    Casio World Time
    Casio Diver

Some members have reported problems with hand-winding watches fitted with Eta 2824 movements and there are several old threads in WUS about this. The Sellita SW200 is in essence the same movement so may have similar issues. The great majority of middle tier Swiss and German automatics use either one of these movements or a slightly modified variant. Some members have speculated that the internal gears and mechanisms for handwinding these movements may be not as strongly built as they could be because they are primarily designed to be self winding. I personally have never had any problems with mine but then I handwind my watches with these movements very carefully and only occasionally and prefer to swing/shake my watches to power them up just to be on the safe side. The Eta2892/93 and Sellita SW300 are quite different movements and I haven't read/seen any problems reported with these. Same for the Japanese made movements.
    Last edited by obomomomo; July 21st, 2015 at 20:54.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SARG007, SBDX017, SLA017, SRP777.

New here and wanted to say hi..and a question

First, welcome!!

After reading several posts about the dangers of regularly hand winding autos I changed my morning routine. Now, if one of my autos is wound down, I just put on and let it wind itself with arm movement. Then I set the time once it's running. I don't think I've hand wound an auto in over six months. This may be overly-cautious, but it feels good to play it safe. And, as a side bonus, I think it's kind of interesting to see how long my different ones take to get started.

Thread Information