New Member...Advice please!!

Thread: New Member...Advice please!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Member...Advice please!!

Hello, all! I just started looking into the watch-making industry yesterday and came upon this forum. My name is Alvin and I am a proud, new member of watchuseek!!

I have been looking into watches for quite some time now and I would like some information/advice. First, what are the pros and cons of watches with an open back? I personally find those types of backs very attractive, but I worry that they are not as dustproof and/or waterproof as watches with closed backs.

Second, what would you guys recommend for my first "luxury" watch? I have worn many watches before, and am currently using a G-Shock T_T
    But I am looking for a dress watch that is mechanical or automatic, is mainly constructed with a steel/titanium band, and has a sapphire crystal display.
    I'm going for that "classy business executive" look. I prefer watches with moderately large cases, but I am open to suggestions!!
    The most I can spend at this moment on this watch is $200, so please give me some suggestions! I look forward to all of your comments!!

Re: New Member...Advice please!!

Welcome!

Glass casebacks do not inherently mean water resistance will be lower or higher: some low or non-water resistant watches have solid casebacks, while some dive watches with high water resistance have glass casebacks. The water resistance of a watch is what it is, regardless of the caseback material.

For your first "luxury watch", I don't know that $200 will cut it, but that depends on how you define "luxury". You can definitely find a quality mechanical/automatic for under $200 - try looking at Seiko, Citizen, Orient, or Sea-Gull. Most wouldn't consider these brands' < $200 offerings to be "luxury watches", but they are definitely great watches for the money. Most you find will probably have mineral crystals, however. Another one or two hundred would open up more options for sapphire crystals if that is really important to you.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Welcome to the forum Alvin. Display type case backs can present more of a problem when it comes to making a water resistant watch which is why many divers have solid case backs. For nice watches within the budget have a look at Orient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Open back.. I trust you mean a see-through crystal back?
    They slightly compromise water resistance, but you still can have something like a 100m or even 150m water resistance with a see-through back. It's utterly dustproof and all that. If you genuinely mean open back as in opened.. Eauch. That just plain doesn't sound right.

For a sub-$200 dollar watch that is 'classy'.. Hm. The obvious options would be to look on, say, amazon, for 'Orient' and 'Seiko'. Orient does in-house automatic watches that are around that pricepoint, in many designs - most of them relatively reasonable. Seiko has a special 'affordable' line - called "Seiko 5" - in many, *many* styles. But they are well-made, reliable, genuinely well priced, and nothing to scoff at.

A sapphire crystal *and* an automatic/mechanical, for under $200? Not gonna happen. If you're very lucky, you might find a quartz with a sapphire crystal for that price.
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    Aevig Huldra 2
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

heya Alvin,

welcome to the forum (and the madness),

for your criteria,
    there's 2 options,

first option is buying new, in which case you probably best served buying from a grey market (difference being no manufacturer warranty, but it comes with the seller's warranty),

I would go to jomashop (and places like jomashop) and use their advanced search function for your criteria,
    - mens
    - $100-250
    - automatic
    - hand wind

there's a lot of option (400+ watches) you can browse through

other trusted online grey market dealers are thewatchery, ashford

Second option is to go second hand ... in which case you can browse though eBay or second hand watch shops (Paul Duggan, Gray and Sons, European watch shops, etc ... but most, if not all of them are on eBay as well)

best of luck ~

BTW, you mentioned steel band ...

well ... usually steel band is more expensive ... and somehow (my opinion, anyway) leather band seems more 'dressy',

but it's a moot point (steel or leather) as you can change them (but make sure you can find a replacement band that fits - which shouldnt be too hard unless the watch has a unique watch-band connection)

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Open back.. I trust you mean a see-through crystal back?
    They slightly compromise water resistance, but you still can have something like a 100m or even 150m water resistance with a see-through back. It's utterly dustproof and all that. If you genuinely mean open back as in opened.. Eauch. That just plain doesn't sound right.

For a sub-$200 dollar watch that is 'classy'.. Hm. The obvious options would be to look on, say, amazon, for 'Orient' and 'Seiko'. Orient does in-house automatic watches that are around that pricepoint, in many designs - most of them relatively reasonable. Seiko has a special 'affordable' line - called "Seiko 5" - in many, *many* styles. But they are well-made, reliable, genuinely well priced, and nothing to scoff at.

A sapphire crystal *and* an automatic/mechanical, for under $200? Not gonna happen. If you're very lucky, you might find a quartz with a sapphire crystal for that price.

Ahh sorry about the confusion! I meant literally an open back, so you can see the weights for automatic winding watches. I noticed that many of the automatic Orient watches have backs that are open. Maybe they have a see-through crystal back? I really can't tell T_T

Name:  97back.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  29.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BGPT23 View Post
    Welcome!

Glass casebacks do not inherently mean water resistance will be lower or higher: some low or non-water resistant watches have solid casebacks, while some dive watches with high water resistance have glass casebacks. The water resistance of a watch is what it is, regardless of the caseback material.

For your first "luxury watch", I don't know that $200 will cut it, but that depends on how you define "luxury". You can definitely find a quality mechanical/automatic for under $200 - try looking at Seiko, Citizen, Orient, or Sea-Gull. Most wouldn't consider these brands' < $200 offerings to be "luxury watches", but they are definitely great watches for the money. Most you find will probably have mineral crystals, however. Another one or two hundred would open up more options for sapphire crystals if that is really important to you.

In regards to level of waterproof-ness, how are open backs? I do not need something that I can dive with, but I would like a watch that is moderately waterproof, to the point I can go for a swim in the pool or shower with it.

Thank you! I will check out the site!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowz220 View Post
    In regards to level of waterproof-ness, how are open backs? I do not need something that I can dive with, but I would like a watch that is moderately waterproof, to the point I can go for a swim in the pool or shower with it.
    Some are safe to swim with, some aren't. Just check the water resistance rating of the specific watch you are looking at. You should have at least 100m, or 10ATM, or 10BAR, (all three mean the same thing) for swimming. Some watches with open backs will have a high enough rating for swimming, while others won't.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information