New member, current (small) collection, next purchase suggestions?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New member, current (small) collection, next purchase suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New member, current (small) collection, next purchase suggestions?

Hi folks,
    I’ve been reading the forums for a while but just joined recently - lots of great info and knowledge here. Thought I’d say hello and share my current rotation. I’ve been on a bit of a buying spree for the past year or so, and these are the pieces that I’ve bonded with the most. Nothing fancy here, have been going primarily for “quality on a budget” as I’m still searching for my style, and I’m trying to limit my collection to 4-5 watches that I really enjoy. Looking to add a Sub or Explorer-style watch next. I can’t justify the price tag for a Rolex, so I’ve been eyeing Ginault and mkII, but I’m open to suggestions from those more experienced than myself. Doesn’t have to be an homage, but I do really like those dials and case shapes. Looking for something classic-looking, 38-40mm, relatively slim, no arabic markers, on a bracelet. I do appreciate brand prestige, but quality vs cost is my main focus here - I’d like to buy new, keep cost under $2000, and end up with something well-built that I’m proud to wear.

Appreciate any input, greetings and glad to join the community!

Name:  FCE923FE-BAD0-44B9-9F6B-CCFA27B2A28D.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  2.00 MB

Name:  38457486-60EA-4C95-8A4B-1963784CCA56.jpeg
Views: 279
Size:  2.50 MB

Name:  B7F212C8-2EE4-4523-960E-6CE2ED95A0C3.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  3B9D9B39-4C52-4D12-A176-F5C9AE55AA7C.jpeg
Views: 273
Size:  1.74 MB

Name:  9C08F4D0-F0AF-409F-B07B-D2727B952775.jpeg
Views: 261
Size:  2.34 MB

Re: New member, current (small) collection, next purchase suggestions?

A dress Seiko presage, Hamilton, Tissot, Longines, etc would appear to round out the collection. Or if you want another diver, the sky's the limit.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

It maybe a small collection but it a very nice collection. I love ❤ the Laco! I would look into either Omega,, Movado or Citizen. I have 10 Citizens and they are bullet proof. Never needs a battery, very accurate and my Signature never needs to have the date changed as it is a perpetual calendar. I use it to set the dates on all my other watches. I have another perpetual chrono/alarm Citizen also. They also make them with either radio control or satellite date/time set. Omega is another that is very well built and good looking . Movado is nice too. Rolex is good but typical. All depends on your style and tastes.
    "Those of us with the least amount of time left have the most love for it and those that have alot left have the least".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would bypass the whole homage thing personally, but that’s just me. I’d save a bit longer and get an Aqua Terra. It’s a bit outside your grasp right now (especially since you want to buy new) but honesty I’d just wait and get a taste of what something a bit more high end feels like. Or if you are looking for value for money like you mentioned then maybe a Sinn 556i.

Now that I’ve given my input on your original question, here’s what I would do if this were me...you may not like it. I’d get rid of the Hamilton and Laco and use that money plus my $2000 and buy either an Aqua Terra or a Speedmaster Pro. Then I’d save up for a bit and buy whatever watch I didn’t get. You said you’ve been on a buying spree for a year or so, I dunno if that means that’s when you bought your first in this collection. Either way you’re now looking for your 5th watch. I’d slow down, save up, and see what a nicer piece feels like.
    Last edited by Silent; November 12th, 2017 at 05:36.
    vkalia likes this.
    • Seiko SARX033
    • Oris Aquis
    • Rolex Daytona 116500
    • Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Quote Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
    It maybe a small collection but it a very nice collection. I love ❤ the Laco! I would look into either Omega,, Movado or Citizen. I have 10 Citizens and they are bullet proof. Never needs a battery, very accurate and my Signature never needs to have the date changed as it is a perpetual calendar. I use it to set the dates on all my other watches. I have another perpetual chrono/alarm Citizen also. They also make them with either radio control or satellite date/time set. Omega is another that is very well built and good looking . Movado is nice too. Rolex is good but typical. All depends on your style and tastes.
    Thanks! Was drueling over an IWC Petite Prince Chrono and happened upon that Atlanta.. had to jump on it. I think it’s a great looking watch for the money. I may end up with the IWC eventually but for $250 (before the price hike) I’m really happy with the Laco for now. Thanks for your recommendations, plenty to consider there.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    I would bypass the whole homage thing personally, but that’s just me. I’d save a bit longer and get an Aqua Terra. It’s a bit outside your grasp right now (especially since you want to buy new) but honesty I’d just wait and get a taste of what something a bit more high end feels like. Or if you are looking for value for money like you mentioned then maybe a Sinn 556i.

Now that I’ve given my input on your original question, here’s what I would do if this were me...you may not like it. I’d get rid of the Hamilton and Laco and use that money plus my $2000 and buy either an Aqua Terra or a Speedmaster Pro. Then I’d save up for a bit and buy whatever watch I didn’t get. You said you’ve been on a buying spree for a year or so, I dunno if that means that’s when you bought your first in this collection. Either way you’re now looking for your 5th watch. I’d slow down, save up, and see what a nicer piece feels like.
    Appreciate your input. For me (fortunately) it’s not a matter of budget, but justification of cost. I don’t need to sell any of these to buy a Rolex, Omega, etc.. I just can’t justify wearing a $4-10k+ watch at this point when my $1300 Sinn 104, for example, feels perfectly well-built to me, and I’m just looking for a different aesthetic. I recently went to an AD with my mind set on a Speedmaster. Tried it on, and aside from the chronograph functionality, it didn’t justify the price difference vs the Sinn to me. That said I honestly do appreciate your opinion, and I think it’s sound advice. My thought process is.. if I can sacrifice the brand prestige and get a similar build quality while saving several thousand, I’m willing to. I’m in no way circumventing your experience, just adding my own (albeit relatively novice) opinion. Thoughts?

Name:  733E267F-6A60-4C13-A526-82F86941F2B0.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  2.14 MB

I’d wait for one of these to pop up and then pounce on it. It’s a hand wound, Sellita dome sapphire, and keeps great time. Would look great in your collection.

Name:  8D23D629-6BE3-40FE-A1DC-CDC3B60F91E3.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  2.22 MB

Edited to include photo of BB 36. It looks great with everything and fits the smaller wrist size perfectly. In regards to your current collection, imo a more classic dressier watch would be welcome.
    Last edited by NyCSnEaK; November 12th, 2017 at 14:04.
    TJ Boogie and Ard like this.

Value for money in this range, my compass points straight to Germany.

I'm thinking a notably different look, so:

1. Everything so far has tight, compressed-feeling dials. The Hammy from how it was labeled, the dive watches from the big fat bezels. OK, the Laco is busy cuz it's a chronograph. So it's fat in that regard. Yeah, yeah, that's my story there....

Anyway...lean, trim, and open. Light on the bezel. Stowa Marine or Antea.

#2. Steel, steel, steel. Nothing wrong with it, but for something different...bronze. Archimede pilot 39 bronze.

You can probably get both of these for less than 2k.

Not Explorer-style, but both companies are quite well known for build quality, and I think they'd fit your preferences nicely.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Value for money in this range, my compass points straight to Germany.

I'm thinking a notably different look, so:

1. Everything so far has tight, compressed-feeling dials. The Hammy from how it was labeled, the dive watches from the big fat bezels. OK, the Laco is busy cuz it's a chronograph. So it's fat in that regard. Yeah, yeah, that's my story there....

Anyway...lean, trim, and open. Light on the bezel. Stowa Marine or Antea.

#2. Steel, steel, steel. Nothing wrong with it, but for something different...bronze. Archimede pilot 39 bronze.

You can probably get both of these for less than 2k.

Not Explorer-style, but both companies are quite well known for build quality, and I think they'd fit your preferences nicely.
    I second German watches.
    Perhaps a DA 36, 38, 363 on a bracelet?
    Or Sinn U1? A little over the 2k budget with a bracelet.

Otherwise the CWC RN diver Mkii auto is a nice choice as well.
    Bullet proof. And brand heritage-wise, I think they are second to none.
    But you will have to go NATO/ZULU

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information