New member/Finding the balance between watch collecting and actual use
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New member/Finding the balance between watch collecting and actual use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New member/Finding the balance between watch collecting and actual use

Hello WUS, new member here. I'll give a quick background story and ask for a little advice. I'll post a few pics of my small collection while I'm at it. I've always been someone who wears watches. Starting from a kid with Casio, then moving to Fossil and other $100 brands. But I always just had one at a time. Fast forward to now: I recently graduated from college and started my actual career a few months ago. I decided that I would get myself a Swiss made watch as a sort of graduation gift to myself. So I started searching around, watching video reviews, looking for deals and such and found a Tissot that I liked. So I ordered a quartz PRS200... and once it came from UPS I decided I didn't want to wear my fancy new watch to work. All the searching and research I had done lately definitely had me interested in watches and also had me curious about automatics. Then I ordered an Orient Mako as a work watch. And I saw a deal on a cheaper Citizen on eBay that I jumped on.

The three of those happened over just the past few weeks. Now I'm looking at Hamiltons, I'd like to get a Steinhart Ocean1, a Tissot auto, and a few less expensive brands too. I'd just like to get a small collection going. I know these watches are considered low price to a lot of you (I'm shocked at some of your watch budgets), but the fact is I'm a little bit of a cheapskate, and honestly I don't even wear watches that much. If I'm lounging around the house on a day off, I'm not wearing a watch, and I'm a little bit of a home body. I don't wear them to the gym, and I wouldn't want to wear a good watch to work until it already has some wear.

I'm sure some of you enthusiasts have been in similar situations, wanting more watches than you can reasonably wear. How do you deal with your watch problems? haha

Name:  IMG_20120913_152920.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20121011_001435.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20121003_212919.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  59.0 KB

Re: New member/Finding the balance between watch collecting and actual use

Welcome, everyone has to start somewhere and we are all at different stages of life with different financial priorities. I like that Orient! I have about 6 watches that I love and feel bad when I don't wear them as much as I would like to -especially the expensive ones. Hope you stick around, some really decent members here.
    Regards Cam

I think quality over quantity is the key. If you have eg 4 watches you love then you will find time to wear them. If you have 10 watches and you don't wear 5 of them then you may as well sell half of them and put it towards your grail, a holiday, whatever

I would also try to collect watches that each have a specific role ie 1x dress, 1x diver, 1x chrono, 1xbeater.
    ShaggyDog likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Try to rotate your watches pretty evenly. See which ones that you wear more and which ones you don't.

Ask yourself WHY you are NOT wearing those. If reason is valid, then keep them, if reason is that you don't like to wear them for one reason or another, then get rid of them, sell them off, give it to your friend as a gift, etc.

Don't buy beyond your means - if there is a loan that you pay high interest on, then you are over extending yourself.

Tissot PRS 200 is a very very good choice.

Heck, wear your nice watches to work, you got them to wear, not to leave them sit around the house.

Steinhart Ocean 1 is a good looking watch, I was tempted to get several times myself. (Probably will get it one day after my "In-House or bust" snob phase is over).

Good luck.
    Chronic flipper...

The first nice watch I got, I was scared to wear it for the first month or two because I didn't want to damage it or anything. Then I asked myself what the point of buying a watch and letting it sit in a box all the time? I really enjoy wearing my watches now and any scratches just add to the character of it. The only time I won't wear one of my nice ones is if I know I'm going to be doing something physical where I know I'm going to bang it around. Besides those rare occasions, I always have one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I think quality over quantity is the key. If you have eg 4 watches you love then you will find time to wear them. If you have 10 watches and you don't wear 5 of them then you may as well sell half of them and put it towards your grail, a holiday, whatever

I would also try to collect watches that each have a specific role ie 1x dress, 1x diver, 1x chrono, 1xbeater.
    ^ This. Exactly what happened to me. Now there's no watch that stays unworn for an "unfair" amount of time.
    Seiko: Shogun, Sumo
    Casio: W-800H

Yes, rotate or try to wear every watch if nothing else for the fun that comes from variety. If your collection gets so large that you find yourself "rediscovering" watches it's probably time to stop buying and reassess the collection. For the watches that no longer hold your interest consider selling, giving to family members or donating some watches. I've done all three and got the most enjoyment from giving away. It was at that point I decided to change my collecting philosophy completely. My purchases have slowed way down and I only buy if I like the watch enough that it would become a permanent part of the collection.

Welcome and congrats on a good start to your collection! Unfortunately, it may take you some time before you learn what you really like in a watch. Before you get too many in hand and buy impulsively, I would highly recommend you sit down and write out what is important to you in a watch...ie...size, weight, color and style of dial, bezel or not, chrono or not, etc. etc. You might end up flipping a lot of watches in the beginning until you know what you really like. I found myself chasing watches that were really popular on the forum only to find that many of those watches were too big for me and I didn't wear them because of comfort. Look around, take your time, choose wisely, and most of all have fun. As far as not wanting to damage your nice watches, I can certainly relate. I make fun of myself in that I have "beaters for my beaters". If you have a job where you and doing physical labor or banging your wrist around regularly, I would recommend some kind of Gshock watch or other watch that you won't be too worried about. I wear my Gshock to work and rotate through my others when I'm off. Otherwise just wear your watch and enjoy it. It will get scratched, it will get dinged. It's just part of owning a watch.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

You're moving up the chain nicely - welcome!

I try to keep the herd a little thin so that I can wear everything at least once every other week. I think if a watch doesn't sing to you for a few months and it doesn't have any special meaning, might want to start thinking about cutting it loose.

My accumulation of watches doesn't require any justification.
    Occasionally I'll be rummaging through the gun safe and find a watch I haven't worn in several months. It usually goes to the top of the list for the next day.
    I have no plans to "thin the herd" at this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information