New member - first "nice" watch Speedy Pro v Carrera
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New member - first "nice" watch Speedy Pro v Carrera

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New member - first "nice" watch Speedy Pro v Carrera

Hi all

A regular reader over the last 6 months, but first time poster. Looking to tap into the expertise of the members here.

I am looking to buy my first luxury watch in the next couple of weeks. At the moment, I have a Tissot PRS516 Chrono, but I find it too big and chunky to wear with a suit (I work in a bank). I have been looking at quite a few options, but think I have narrowed it down to either a Speedy Pro or Tag Carrera Heritage Calibre 6 (not the chrono).

Re the Speedy Pro I have the opportunity to either buy a late 80's vintage on the 1450 bracelet for ~$3k from a local vintage dealer or online for ~$4k. The vintage watch is in good condition and comes with a 12 month warranty from the vintage dealer, but I am thinking for the extra money maybe I would be more comfortable with a brand new watch to last much longer. Any advice on this one?

Alternatively, the Carrera looks very nice and I can get one that is 12 months old for a reasonable price (~$1700).

I would obviously prefer the Speedy Pro, but I was after your thoughts on whether it represents 'double' the value of the Carrera. I am in my mid-20's so have plenty of time to build a collection later on.

I do prefer the look and feel of the Speedy.

Thanks for your input all and for having me on board the forum!

Re: New member - first "nice" watch Speedy Pro v Carrera

Welcome to the forums

I would go with the Speedy though judging from the prices where I am based, 3-4k for a late 80s model is rather steep.

from what i've seen you can get used speedy in good condition for less than that.. if you want to save a few buck go for used and online, which i'm sure you are aware of :)
    as for the choice, speedy pro only (Tag not even close to make a serious competitor)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Mew. I'm in Australia. Sorry I should have been clearer, the late 80s model is $3k, could pick up a new one for $4k or so with a bit of bargaining

First things first - welcome to the forum. The 516 chrono is a bit of a monster so I can see why you would want something else for working in the bank.
    You should know that if you ask for an opinion on two watches on this forum and one of them is a Speedy Pro the replies will tend to favour the Omega as it's a forum favourite. Although the TAG is a beautiful watch I think the Speedy wins hands down (and no I don't even own an Omega let alone a Speedy)

Consider this (in support of the Speedy): I'm currently looking to add an iconic piece to my collection with a budget of about 7-8k. Looking at El Primeros, a Submariner, etc....and even though I "can" spend the maximum, I'm still strongly considering buying a new Speedy Pro for half my budget, even though I know it might be an uphill battle to justify (to my wife) spending the leftover money on a second watch inside of a year. I guess in a roundabout way, what I'm trying to say, is that irrespective of price, imo the Speedmaster stacks up against watches priced significantly higher when I consider the historical/horological significance, etc.
    bjh123 likes this.

Inactive

I think the Tag Carrera is a much sharper watch than the Speedmaster Pro, the fit and finish of the Tag Carrera is top notch.

The Speedmaster Pro is an icon and IMHO anything with Heuer on it should be a chrono so for me the SP is the only way to go between the two. You point at having a lot of time to build your collection, I would be willing to bet you still own the SP in 15 years and not the Carrera. In the US your prices are high but I have no idea about OZ.

In a good way I think the Carrera has more flair, so if a sporty watch appeals to you it's not a bad choice at all. It's tough to say anything against the Speedmaster, even so I had one and sold it due to size, comfort and bracelet adjustment issues. That's just me and my wrist though.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

1) I am an unabashed Pro fan (but wait - keep reading, you may be surprised)
    2) I am an unabashed TAG "dis-liker (but wait - etc)
    3) The Pro isn't a dress watch. It's not a bank watch. It really is out of it's element with a suit.
    4) You already HAVE a chrono but you NEED a dressier watch
    5) Get the TAG

Now, after getting the TAG start looking for a newer Pro. If you spend too much time on these forums you can start to overvalue older Speedy. OK, a 321 under the hood has some panache and even investment potential (potential, not a sure thing). But to buy one simply because it has a 1450 attached? Look, the thing will be ready for a new dial/hands in 5 -8 years, added to the service cost- you just spent a ton a money. for a bracelet. When you get a newer Speedy, sell the Tissot.
    Last edited by Donf; October 13th, 2013 at 19:17.
    mleok and spidaman like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information