New member looking for advice
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New member looking for advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New member looking for advice

Hi

I am new to this forum, so for my first post I will introduce myself before I ask you guys for advice. I am a 21 year old person from south Africa. I am currently a student.

I joined with the specific intent to get some advice from you guys. I've been reading a lot of the threads on this forum, however I need some specific advice.
    My girlfriend's father is quite an avid watch enthusiast and he got me bitten by the bug a few years ago. Since then I bought two vostok watches as they are really cool and budget was always a factor. However I recently turned 21 and got some money for my birthday so I am looking at getting myself a nice automatic watch. I would probably have to have one shipped from overseas as stuff is just ridiculously expensive over here. To give you an example, a Hamilton king khaki would cost about $350 in the united states, here it costs R7000, which is about $500 comparatively.

I am looking at buying a nice automatic watch. My budget is $350 if I have to have one shipped from overseas as I have to pay shipping and customs, however I would also look at anything under that price range (the Seiko 5 autos also attract my attention). Basically what I'm asking is what watches are out there? Please give me some advice.
    To give you an idea of what I like, I have been looking at the hamilton king khaki but I am not sure if I want to spend that much(I could if I really really like the watch). Also I do not want another vostok at this stage(They are really cool however 2 is more than enough for me). I like a dial that's not to busy.

Thank you for your time.
    Ps. Sorry for the long winded post.

Re: New member looking for advice

Check out an Seiko skx007 or 009. Those can be had for less than 200 used. A used Steinhart may also be a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure to check out Orient too, if you're looking at Seikos. Similar price, similar quality (sometimes better), also very respectable, and has a slightly different design ethic from Seiko.

As a way of finding good options... well, why not spend one to two hours on ebay, looking at what's on offer at your price limit. Filter roughly by the size you'd be comfortable with, maybe start with 'new' condition only, to avoid all the vintage stuff (a wholly another topic, and very interesting, but not good for starting out in), and take note of what pops up that you think you like the looks of.

Edit: for a more straightforward suggestion: some microbrands at your price range produce great stuff. One that comes to mind is "Bernhardt" (bernhardt watch dotcom).
    Last edited by X2-Elijah; October 27th, 2016 at 20:49.
    S1k likes this.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"(Damascus, Bronze, Steel)
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Edit: for a more straightforward suggestion: some microbrands at your price range produce great stuff. One that comes to mind is "Bernhardt" (bernhardt watch dotcom).
    I've checked out bernhardt and I think I may have found the one. The captain's watch on their website is very good looking to me. Thanks for the advice.
    X2-Elijah and HammyMan37 like this.

S1k

Howzit! Nice to see another South African here...
    I would definitely spend some time on ebay, alot of ppl will ship internationally.

Check out Seiko sarb033, great watch and around $350 new. I'm sure you can find them used too.
    Or a Seiko cocktail time for something a more dressy. Orient watches would be another great brand in your budget range.
    Captain Automatic likes this.

If you don't mind Japanese movement (Miyota), check out made in Germany Dugena Premium line - Amazon.de sometimes has them at very attractive prices, like this one:

https://www.amazon.de/Dugena-Herren-...eywords=dugena
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, welcome.

For that price range, you can check out Steinhart, Victorinox, Laco, Glycine. Some used some new, you'll need to spend time on it.

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest looking at the various models Seiko and Orient have to offer.

I'd recommend orient as well, just won my first automatic a Blue Ray in an auction and it was very inexpensive for what I got in my opinion. The lume is impressive, if you have a larger wrist you could check out the Mako XL from orient as well.

Welcome to the forums! Seiko sarb, Tissot, and Hamilton look like strong contenders.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information