New Member From PA, My Watch Journey, & Rolex Daytona Wait
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MiamiMikePA

Thread: New Member From PA, My Watch Journey, & Rolex Daytona Wait

New Member From PA, My Watch Journey, & Rolex Daytona Wait

Hey Guys,

My name is Mike and I'm a new member from PA. I was on WatchTalk forum years ago, but had to walk away from high end watches for a while. Here's my story...

It all started when I graduated high school and my dad gifted me his Tag Pro 1500 Granite face. Didn't know much about watches at the time, but I was instantly in love with it. I then started looking into watches more and thought my next watch would be a Rolex Date Just as it was a Rolex (only brand I really knew) and in the realm of something I thought I may be able to afford soon after graduating college. Before I could pull the trigger on a Rolex I saw an IWC Portuguese and immediately fell in love. I was fortunate enough to purchase the IWC Chrono and Automatic from a friend who needed some money at an extremely discounted rate. After wearing them both for about 6 months I had determined The Automatic was really the watch for me and the Chrono was getting almost no wrist time. Since the 2 were in the same color scheme (white face, blue hands, blue leather strap) I decided to sell the Chrono. Again, the only reason I bought them in the same color scheme was because of the crazy deal I got on them.

After about 2 years of wearing the Automatic basically everyday I got the news...a baby boy was on the way. That was scary enough, but then I found out my girlfriend at the time had no medical insurance. So, as much as it killed me, I was forced to sell my beloved watch and go back to only owning the Tag.

It's now 6 years later and I'm ready to jump back into the high end watch market. My fiance and I travel to NYC once every other month and in June I looked at her and asked what she thought about spending a few hours looking at watches. Knowing how much I miss my IWC and knowing this was coming at some point she didn't hesitate at all and was all in. The starting point was the IWC Port Auto, but surprisingly she was not impressed with it. We then looked at and tried on every watch under the sun. Three watches were on the short list...IWC Port Auto (even though she wasn't crazy about it), Cartier Drive (her favorite), and JLC Master Geographic (the direction I was starting to lean toward).

A few weeks later we spent an evening with my cousins, who are very well off, and big time watch collectors. My cousin currently own a Rolex Pres, Date Just, Sub, Batman, Yellow Gold GMT, vintage Patek, and vintage JLC...and that's not even getting into his wife's collection. Throughout the evening we talked a lot about watches and he spoke really passionately about his connection to Rolex. I wondered why I originally abandoned wanting a Rolex so quickly and wondered why we spent no time looking at then while in the city, so I decided to add the brand to my list.

Of course I instantly fell in love with the new Daytona, knowing I had no chance of getting one I decided to move on. I called about 5 ADs before giving up as each time I was basically laughed at. I eventually decided that the new Rhodium dialed YachtMaster was a perfect fit for me. A bit slimmer than the Sub & GMT, which is great as I am not a large man. I felt it may be the perfect watch for me as it covered both the casual and dress realm very well and I started thinking maybe I was better off having a bracelet instead of a leather strap. Plus I absolutely loved the Rhodium dial, grey is my color.

So, the decision had been finally made! A SS Rhodium dial YachtMaster was the ticket. That was until my cousin paid me a visit last night. I simply mentioned the Daytona during our convo thinking nothing of it. This morning I get a call from him telling me we are on the list at his preferred AD for a SS white dial Rolex Daytona. His contact told him she didn't think they were getting anymore this year, but that it would be no problem to get one next year. I was blown away!!! Everything I have read has said if you aren't already on a list expect 5-10 years. This leads me to believe certain ADs most defiantly take care of their good customers.

Anyway, I apologize for the lengthy first post, but hope you enjoyed my story if you made it to the end. I look forward to jumping back in to this great hobby and learning much more from all of you.

Thanks
    Mike
    anaplian likes this.

Banned

Re: New Member From PA, My Watch Journey, & Rolex Daytona Wait

Awesome story, thanks for posting. Far too often, we as collectors get all wrapped up in the actual watches and forget the human story behind each and every watch. Welcome and I hope you get your new Rolex soon. When you do, be sure and post lots of pictures.

Welcome

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys...happy to be a part of this forum!

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

I enjoyed reading your story.

Welcome to Watchuseek.

Thread Information