New Member - Starting a collection & need advice

Thread: New Member - Starting a collection & need advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Member - Starting a collection & need advice

Greetings all - I am new to the forum but have always had an appreciation for watches. Now want to spend some hard earned cash collecting some quality pieces. I am just starting to learn the ropes so be kind.

I also watned to see what everyone thinks of my first two potential mechanical watch purchases. First, I wanted a summer dress watch that is understated, not to flashy or bulky. I am thinking the Stowa Marine Auto with brown strap and deployment buckle. I also wanted a dive watch for more of an everyday watch and am leaning towards the Longines Hydroquest Auto Diver. Both brands seem to be doing some good things at the moment. Plus the fact that these two are very affordable and together meet my price range of sub $2K make these attractive. Thoughts on these pieces? Recommendations? What are a couple of things to look for when making a purchase? Thanks for the quality (and addictive) forum!

Last edited by thedark; May 8th, 2008 at 06:39.

Re: New Member - Starting a collection & need advice

both are good products, personally, I prefer the longines famous brand, good reputation. DONT forget to look at breitling, they have several wonderful dive watches at that price point <<<<<<<
    KEEPS ON TICKIN'

I think Stowa's not bad, although personally I'd choose an Omega Seamaster, such a classic. I'd say you are bound to own one one day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zoomjohn View Post
    I think Stowa's not bad, although personally I'd choose an Omega Seamaster, such a classic. I'd say you are bound to own one one day.
    OH YEAH..I really like the new aqua terra....
    KEEPS ON TICKIN'

hi and welcome to the forum! well...you picked some good watches to start with. longines is a fine brand and it's well known and it's a good looking watch that you chose.

what got me going, though, was your pick of the stowa!! i have an airman ikarus.
    alot of WIS members love this brand. high quality, great value, and original. the marine, IMO, is quite a beautiful watch...very simple, clean, and subtle. love the blue hands.

given the watches you've chosen, i assume your tastes lean toward the refined and not too blingy but also sporty. in that case, i would recommend omegas.

i'm biased, of course... as omega is my favorite brand.

cheers....

Hmmm...I really don't think you need any advice at all! You seem to have picked a couple of nice, quality pieces with lasting value. If those are the ones you like, and the cost is within your budget, then get them. They are I can't see you regretting either one. Now you just need to find out where to buy.

The nice thing is those are very different watches, each has enough different features that you can compare and contrast each with the other. In your mind this will shape into your next purchase. You did say you were 'starting' a collection, right?
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

stuffler,mike

Both are very nice watches and worth to start a collection with. I don´t own the Longinges but I do own the Marine Auto. You may check the review forum for a review I wrote.

I prefer the plain Longines Conquest over the Hydroconquest, looks more simple and classy yet sporty!

Just starting my watch collection...

Mine:
    Oris 581 7592 40 51 (Artelier Complication)
    Zenith 03.0516.685 (Defy Classic Power Reserve Elite)
    Zenith 03.1260.4039 (Chronomaster Open Grande Date XXT)
    Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Victorinox 241425 (Dive Master 500 Mechanical)
    Stowa Flieger Baumuster B with 215-1 handwind
    Glashutte Original 1-36-01-01-02-01 (Senator Excellence)
    Zenith 95.9000.670/78.M9000 (Defy Classic Openworked)
    Zenith 01.0500.420 (El Primero HW)
    Tudor 91210N (North Flag)

Wife:
    Perrelet A2038/1 (Diamond Flower)
    Oris 561 7604 40 94 (Artelier Date Diamonds)
    Zenith 03.1220.6801 (Baby Open Heart)

Both timepieces that you are considering are excellent choices. A number of previous posters have also mentioned Omega, which would be a good cornerstone to any collection.

If you plan on getting into collecting in a serious way, I would recommend that you sit down and make a list of the types of watches / functions you want and then refine the list by brand, then by model. The list will change as you refine your knowledge and likes / dislikes of timepieces, especially once they are on your wrist. I started off with this process four years ago and in the intervening time have traded / bought / sold over 70 watches before settling down into my core collection, of which I have one in-bound (a re-built vintage Omega SMP from my deceased father-in-law) and two others that I will eventually acquire (a Rolex SS Daytona and a Paneria Luminor).

And yet I'll still dance around the periphery of my collection, adding and subtracting as the whim takes me. So it's both a cerebral as well as emotional process for me, which is part of why it's so much fun. Good luck and congrats on your initial choices - they are both very nice timepieces.

James
    AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I will either find a way or make one."

I really like the conquest but have not seen it in person yet. I am really set on a blue face for some reason. I will def keep an eye out for it. Panerai is definitley in my sights as well.

Thanks to all that have responded. I have a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun collecting. Thing that stinks is having to wait to get both these watches (prob mid June) to arrive. I am going to check out Tourneau in Chicago this weekend and will see if anything catches my fancy. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information