WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which new Omega?

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  q_at96 
#1 ·
I've narrowed down my upcoming purchase to two models that were recently introduced at Baselword 2013.. the seamaster aqua terra 15,000 gauss anti-mag or the speedmaster 57' blue face.

Although quite different, both look great to me and have many similarities...great in-house movements, 41.5 mm size, display case backs and water resistance with screw down crowns (greater 150m on the seamaster). Both should be introduced later on this year and my local Omega dealer says the price should be similar on both.. 5.5 to 6K.

Would like to hear everyone's opinion on these 2 models...pros/cons, if it was your money which one would you get? which one better overall for every-day wear? which is better for formal AND casual wear? which do you think has a more timeless design that will age better?

The plan is to keep this watch for many years with no interest in selling, eventually passing it on to my son. This will be my daily workhorse until I can afford my grail piece, the Patek Nautilus! (I hope! lol). Thank you for everyone's input!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand
Wrist Watch Fashion accessory Hand Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#4 ·
Two great watches. Of the two, my preference is the AT. Very versatile and drop dead gorgeous. I can see that watch with jeans and t-shirt or a suit.

Now, as to your question if it were my money.... For those prices, I would most likely be looking at a different watch... JLC, Zenith, or RGM come to mind. Perhaps even a Sub no-date or Datejust II. However, if you can get a decent discount (I got 32% off of my Omega from an AD) that would be a different story.

Just my 2 cents. I don't think you can lose with those two choices. Let us know what you decide.

#6 ·
Unless you have long time some affinity toward chronographs, I advise you to get the AT. The chronograph may interesting immediately after the purchase but if you do not really use it you may get tired of it. The chronographs I have I rarely use them these days. So for the sake of beauty, basic utility, simplicity and cheap maintenance my vote go for the AT. But I would buy the Skyfall instead:

#7 ·
I like the AT better between those two. That being said, if I were to pick up a new AT it would more likely be the 38.5 mm AT 8500. Maybe I'll warm up to this new one eventually, but unless I truly had a need for the antimagnetic capabilities of the 15000 Gauss, I'd be sticking to the more classic AT, in the slightly smaller size, which I think works better for this watch.

#10 ·
I'd go with the AquaTerra - but as someone else said, maybe not the anti-magnetic one. I suspect you'll find the ordinary AT just as compelling as that one - and you could put the saved money into your Patek Phillippe savings fund.

To my mind, there's only one Speedmaster to own - the Professional, with the Hesalite Crystal. It comes with its limitations, but it is the classic Omega Chronograph.

#14 · (Edited)
Ahh, the devil is in the details for me...notice the blue face model pic posted earlier doesn't have the same oyster bracelet with polished & brushed links.

#15 ·
Thank you for all the responses, interesting to see that the AT is getting more votes. Another thing I noticed after looking at the two is that they both seem to have the same or similar oyster type bracelet which I think is a knockout...polished center links with brushed sides. Also, the black face speedy is kind of growing on me now.

Watch Analog watch Black White Photograph
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Reactions: RBrylawski
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.