New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    32

    New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    I am planning to buy a brandnew Rolex Daytona in gold/steel with the grey dial.

    I do not like:
    (1) to buy a used watch
    (2) to consider a plain steel Daytona

    but I would like to know whether the two-tone Daytona is a good buy or whether it will not give me any resale value in say 10 years.

    comparisons to other brands such as "you may rather buy a Jaeger Le Coultre xyz" or "nothing compares to a Patek Nautilus" are desired, but primarily I am interested whether gold/steel daytona is really so bad in resale value as the internet says.

    What do you guys think?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Member Barry H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    2,004

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Any Rolex is a good buy, I'd say. If you buy a watch with an eye to resale value, the chances are you're going to be disappointed when the time comes to sell. Non steel-only versions will also take longer to shift. The only reason to buy a watch is because you like it so much you're willing to exchange money for it, irrespective of price.
    ChuckyH likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    325

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Conversations like this are indicative, to me anyway, of those who should not be buying such items. I'm not trashing you as I have no beef with you. However, how far does such mentality go? Do you want a car that has good resale value after ten years? We all desire such, however, that is not a realistic expectation. If you are seeking an investment, then, I suggest buying a quality stock/company.

    For whatever it's worth, back in 1989, I bought a two-tone Daytona for about $6800. What it's worth today I don't know. It is in pristine condition. I have no desire to sell it or any other watches. Investing in a prudent manner over the years has resulted in radically higher returns than money spent on quality watches. Make enough money and you will not care if a watch holds its value, appreciates in value, or not. Buy a watch or whatever because you like it. If it brings you good feeling then it's worth it. Other than food and shelter, what else do we need to sustain life? Happiness is another subject that is highly complicated and varies in opinion that provides people with countless hours of activity to debate.
    Tseg, ChuckyH and hpark21 like this.
    Before you think about buying a watch winder from Wolf Designs ask me why you should not.

    I have to stop saying, " How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ऋग्वेद
    Posts
    5,307

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    I have the dual tone Daytona and I don't recommend it. Might as well pure steel.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Have you considered Grand Seiko?
    Alex_TA likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Watch Fan in Beijing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong, China
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    You do realize you're asking for a prediction on the fashion, tastes and style as it comes to watches in 2025.

    That said, 2-tone hasn't been in style really since the 90's. Every time it comes up here, there is a serious division in opinion. I personally think it's slowly coming back into general acceptance - maybe. In 10 years? Who knows. Maybe we'll all dump our mechanical watches for Apple Phone version 10. Lol.

    Steel and second hand is probably the surer bet, but you said you don't want that. So buy it if you like it.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    32

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
    Conversations like this are indicative, to me anyway, of those who should not be buying such items. I'm not trashing you as I have no beef with you. However, how far does such mentality go? Do you want a car that has good resale value after ten years? We all desire such, however, that is not a realistic expectation. If you are seeking an investment, then, I suggest buying a quality stock/company.

    For whatever it's worth, back in 1989, I bought a two-tone Daytona for about $6800. What it's worth today I don't know. It is in pristine condition. I have no desire to sell it or any other watches. Investing in a prudent manner over the years has resulted in radically higher returns than money spent on quality watches. Make enough money and you will not care if a watch holds its value, appreciates in value, or not. Buy a watch or whatever because you like it. If it brings you good feeling then it's worth it. Other than food and shelter, what else do we need to sustain life? Happiness is another subject that is highly complicated and varies in opinion that provides people with countless hours of activity to debate.
    you pulled the trigger too fast. I have made my decision. What I am looking for is merely whether the watch will have an "OK" resale value in 10 years, or whether it will be the case that if I happen to have to sell it, I will end up with a 50% of the current price or lower. nothing in my question implies that I make my decision to purchase the dual-tone Daytona contingent on any specific resale value. it's more a "nice to have" to know that if one spends 16k for a new watch, it will not become subject to a >50% price discount in a few years from now one.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    32

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Fan in Beijing View Post
    You do realize you're asking for a prediction on the fashion, tastes and style as it comes to watches in 2025.

    That said, 2-tone hasn't been in style really since the 90's. Every time it comes up here, there is a serious division in opinion. I personally think it's slowly coming back into general acceptance - maybe. In 10 years? Who knows. Maybe we'll all dump our mechanical watches for Apple Phone version 10. Lol.

    Steel and second hand is probably the surer bet, but you said you don't want that. So buy it if you like it.
    Correct, I was asking for public opinion on what the trends may be in terms of pricing, based on historical data and impressions.

    No I dont think electronics are a substitute for mechanical watches. if u remember, the first quartz watches came in the 70ies, and they only initially replaced mechanics. nowadays quartz equals cannot-afford, and so will it be in 30 years.

  10. #9
    Member Gary123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington DC area
    Posts
    5,052

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Honestly, silly question. If there is one watch that has good resale value, it is Rolex. Everyone who knows nothing about watches knows Rolex. It has perhaps the best resale value out there. Really, that is the end of that discussion. You're not buying for an investment anyway, so buy what you like. Personally, I would buy used. There is plenty of mint pre owned out there, but suit yourself. Probably won't get much of a deal anyway on a mint pre owned Daytona.

    Rolex works hard to inflate the price of the all steel, so I believe the two tone actually sells for about the same or less. The two tone is therefore relatively a good buy. I would be sure to get the more recent Daytona with the in house movement. I'm not sure what year that movement was released - it is a fabulous movement. Rolex studied hard to make a fantastic movement, took many cues from the F. Piguet 1185 used by Vacheron and Blancpain. It has been ranked among the 10 greatest modern movements and has somewhat depressed the value of the earlier Daytona's using the El Primero. I never cared much for the El Primero though I appreciate its horological significance.
    Last edited by Gary123; October 21st, 2015 at 17:16.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    32

    Re: New Rolex Daytona gold/steel a good buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    Honestly, silly question. If there is one watch that has good resale value, it is Rolex. Everyone who knows nothing about watches knows Rolex. Really, that is the end of that discussion. You're not buying for an investment, so buy what you like. Personally, I would buy used. There is plenty of mint pre owned out there, but suit yourself. Probably won't get much of a deal anyway on a mint pre owned Daytona.

    Rolex works hard to inflate the price of the all steel, so I believe the two tone actually sells for about the same or less. The two tone is therefore relatively a good buy. I would be sure to get the more recent Daytona with the in house movement. It is a fabulous movement. Rolex studied hard to make a fantastic movement, took many cues from the F. Piguet 1185 used by Vacheron and Blancpain. It has been ranked among the 10 greatest modern movements and has somewhat depressed the value of the earlier Daytona's using the El Primero.
    thanks - that's exactly my thoughts. whether it is a silly question or not - seems not that silly to me, because the response is typically that two-tone does not retain value, not even in absolute terms (apart from relative to the steel one).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. FS: Rolex DAYTONA 16523 STEEL/GOLD ZENITH--PRICED TO MOVE!!!
      By afc1 in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 22nd, 2015, 17:02
    2. FS: Rolex DAYTONA STEEL AND GOLD - 116523 MINT - E.U.
      By daneandsons in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 1st, 2015, 13:18
    3. FS:Rolex Daytona 16523 GOLD/STEEL
      By burgerwatches in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 24th, 2008, 15:07

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •