New to site and watches (kinda)

Thread: New to site and watches (kinda)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to site and watches (kinda)

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Seiko SKX031 of a member here (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sei...od-581114.html). I have always like watches. My first expensive watch was a Bulova, then 2 Movados that I had problems with so I got rid of them. Yesterday I told a friend of mines that I had purchased a Seiko and showed him the pictures. I first I told him "how do you like this Rolex" I held the phone picture away so he could not make it out and he said " it looks like a old style Rolex". I then told him it was a Seiko. We proceeded talking about watches and not to long into own conversation we stopped a jewelry stop to check out some watches. I feel in love with the Omega Planet Ocean Chrono and also saw a lesser priced Tag Heuer chrono. So me being new to watches I have been doing some reading on them. I still ask my self if a planet ocean is worth the 5-6000 price tag. Even the Tag at 1800. I have heard of seikos going YEARS with out maint. and rolex needing maint. every 5 years at a big price tag. I wantted to get a prospective on high end watches. Like I said i love the planet ocean but out of my reach. The Tag is in my reach, but is it worth it? What is the maint. on one of those watches?

Thanks

Re: New to site and watches (kinda)

Welcome~Don't get too distracted by the maintenance costs. A car needs maintenance too, but it's inclusive in the price of ownership. You could invariably find a pre-owned/loved watch you like either through the sales corner here, or the grey market dealer at a lower pricepoint than having to pay retail. Unless, you're concerned with authenticity, then try the ADs (Authorized Dealer), which is still a good idea especially where warranties are concerned. Best advice: look around, ask tons of questions, and research some more.

Browse the forum a bit and I guarantee you'll find some other watches you'll fall in love with!

There are plenty watches including Seiko's with same if not better quality as an Omega or Tag and a fraction of the price..
    Seiko SBDX001
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SBGH005

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by dhagard View Post
    Browse the forum a bit and I guarantee you'll find some other watches you'll fall in love with!

There are plenty watches including Seiko's with same if not better quality as an Omega or Tag and a fraction of the price..
    We're allowed to use our signatures for sales postings?
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Quote Originally Posted by pursuit2550 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just bought a Seiko SKX031 of a member here (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sei...od-581114.html). I have always like watches. My first expensive watch was 2 Movados that I had problems with so I got rid of them.

Thanks
    You may be new to watches, but you have wisdom beyond your years.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagard View Post

the answer is no anthony....for sale and wanted to buys are prohibited from sigs!
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Thanks for clarifying, Devon.

Cheers.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

The Seiko line has some worthy competitors to Omega and TAG: Grand Seiko. But not cheap at all.

Hi there, welcome to the forum. My advice it to shop around and be patient. Do a lot of research, look at pictures of as many watches as you can, and then ask forum members about quality of watches yuo may like if your not familiar. I have owned a PO Chrono, it is a beautiful watch, Omega is considereded a highend brand for good reason, they make great watches. I found that the PO was very heavy on wrist, almost uncomfortible - I believe it was 260 grams with bracelet, thats huge.

In addition, If you have the cash to but a expensive watch then you should have the cash for maintainance.

IMO - some Tags are overproduced, just pay attention to the asking price compared to the retail, if there is a huge reduction, that is because there are a lot of that particular model out there (supply and demand.) Personally I would be attracted to the watches that are going for a price a little closer to the retail. Tag does make a beautiful watch. The last Tag I had was beautiful, It was large, heavy and the Dial was stunning, I really hurt to let it go.

If you would like to know what I sold my watches for PM me, it would give you an general idea.

Cheers, Jay
    Current Collection:
    Rolex Subc 2tone Blu 116613LB
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex Sub C, date
    Rolex Sub C, Hulk
    Rolex Milgauss zBlue
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 White Dial
    Breitling Navitimer B01
    Breitling Chronomat GMT 47mm
    Anonimo Dino Zei San Marco

Corum Dive Bomber, Shark
    Corum Dive Bomber, Tiger
    Frotis MM Chrono Chain Saw

Fortis B42 Chrono PVD
    Fortis pilot

Thanks for the input guys. I am still waiting on my Seiko, should be here today or tomorrow. I understand that if you have the money to buy it you should have the money to maintain it, but also if you are buying a expensive watch shouldn't you expect a long life out of it before it even needs maintance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information