New standard watch size
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: New standard watch size

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

New standard watch size

With watch sizes getting smaller, do you think we will see a new standard watch size in a couple of years? Will 40mm be considered a large watch? Or do you think that the raise of smartwatches will ensure that "larger" watches are here to stay?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    E8ArmyDiver and meganfox21 like this.

Banned

Re: New standard watch size

Great question, and the answer I think will forever be changing. Obviously 32mm used to be preferred and 40mm was thought to be gigantic, whereas now 40 is considered average with some watches being much larger. Personally I'm beyond glad to see the massive dial trend finally dying down. There will always be people wearing 55mm fashion watches and big smartwatches, but I think smartwatches will over time be somewhat smaller than they are now. As for regular watches, I think maybe 38mm could become the new 40mm. I don't see the 30-34mm range becoming the norm ever again. But I see them becoming much more relevant then they are now with the majority of watches being in the 37-41 range. We'll see and nobody knows for sure. Time will tell. Just my .02

A lot has to depend if 'high fructose corn syrup' gets banned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What is the standard watch size currently?

Happily it seems like the era of 43mm+ divers being the only option from a lot of brands is coming to a close at least, though Seiko hasn't gotten that memo yet. I'd love to see Squale do a 39mm modernized version of the vintage Page and Cooper reissue with sapphire glass.

A "new" standard suggests that there is an "existing" standard, or an "old" standard--is there?--if so, I think I missed that edict. There have ALWAYS been small watches, medium sized watches and large watches--I expect that range to continue.

in a time when every appliance and computer screen (including the one in your pocket) tells the time, watches are as much jewelry as tools. And jewelry is made to be seen. There's always going to be an ebb and flow to what watch size is fashionable at any given time, but we're never going back to the time of 34mm men's watches.
    OvrSteer and Hotblack Desiato like this.

remember when getting the thinnest and smallest cellphone was trendy? now, everyone wants a phone the size of a TI-81 graphing calculator. How long till we're back at bag phones? :P trends come and go.. the trick is to find something that may not be the height of trendiness but will always be acceptable. I think 38mm could be to watch size as cap toes are to shoes.
    Toothbras and JessePinkman like this.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

New standard watch size

I don’t know what standard you’re referring to, perhaps you meant new average watch size? I think it is getting a little smaller. I think that is due mainly to many manufacturers expanding their model ranges by introducing some smaller models. The larger sizes are still available though.

Quote Originally Posted by yongsoo1982 View Post
    now, everyone wants a phone the size of a TI-81 graphing calculator. How long till we're back at bag phones? :P
    What they want is a large screen on a phone that weighs nothing and is as thin as a sheet of paper. The "make it thinner!" demands are causing the loss of headphone jacks, replaceable batteries, and even bezels (bezels can be a good thing - to a degree). And pretty much forces the need for a protective case to combat the increasingly-fragile phones. Craziness reigns.

I think 38mm could be to watch size as cap toes are to shoes.
    I would love to see 38mm return as a common case size.
    matt009au likes this.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information