New tag Heuer Connected watch - what are they thinking???
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: New tag Heuer Connected watch - what are they thinking???

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Confused New tag Heuer Connected watch - what are they thinking???

Been reading on Tag announcement for their new connected watch.
    TAG Heuer Connected Watch From Google and Intel: Specs - Bloomberg Business

It looks good all things considered. And JCB is a marketing genius with a proven record (heck - how many people can make AP homage w ETA movements and sell for $10K+).
    But it just seems insane to me to expect people to drop $1,500 on a smart-watch.

Particularly, when tech may be obsolete in 12-18 mos.
    Especially, when they compete direct against Apple who are an industry leader in technology and in marketing.
    And iWatch costs $350 (20-25% of TH Connected price)...
    Definitely, when you consider the appeal of mechanical watches and engineering involved in them, which a smart watch by tag does not have.
    Absolutely, when you consider a significant portion of buyers are looking for a status symbol, which a smartwatch can't project .

So what is JCB thinking here? I am guessing they did some market research and focus groups and somebody out there is willing to drop $1.5K on a smartwatch from a company with no technological history, expertise or track-record. But who?

Will it be a spectacular failure or a surprising success? Will it hurt Tag reputation or increase their popularity? Thoughts?
    FoudesMontres likes this.

Re: New tag Heuer Connected watch - what are they thinking???

Based on the different dial formats shown in the photos, it appears to be an entirely virtual face rather than a digital/mechanical hybrid. the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth interface and 4 GB of storage suggest it won't be obsolete anytime soon, but even with the Android OS the market must be very limited given the asking price vs. the AW. Most interesting is the exchange policy -- pay $1500 now, but turn it in for a $1500 credit after two years. The catch? You have to use the credit to buy another TAG

Now I am certain this is marketing ploy as they allow a trade-in program where you can trade in your smart watch for a real, mechanical Carrera in two years. So that means when someone buys a Connected watch, they have the security in knowing they can exchange it to a real one. At the end, no one is really buying a smart watch from TAG Heuer without this clause.

I have to mention that to participate in the trade-in, one has to supplement an additional $1,500 to acquire the mechanical Carrera.
    Last edited by watchRus; November 9th, 2015 at 21:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Been reading on Tag announcement for their new connected watch.
    TAG Heuer Connected Watch From Google and Intel: Specs - Bloomberg Business

It looks good all things considered. And JCB is a marketing genius with a proven record (heck - how many people can make AP homage w ETA movements and sell for $10K+).
    But it just seems insane to me to expect people to drop $1,500 on a smart-watch.

Particularly, when tech may be obsolete in 12-18 mos.
    Especially, when they compete direct against Apple who are an industry leader in technology and in marketing.
    And iWatch costs $350 (20-25% of TH Connected price)...
    Definitely, when you consider the appeal of mechanical watches and engineering involved in them, which a smart watch by tag does not have.
    Absolutely, when you consider a significant portion of buyers are looking for a status symbol, which a smartwatch can't project .

So what is JCB thinking here? I am guessing they did some market research and focus groups and somebody out there is willing to drop $1.5K on a smartwatch from a company with no technological history, expertise or track-record. But who?

Will it be a spectacular failure or a surprising success? Will it hurt Tag reputation or increase their popularity? Thoughts?
    The Apple Watch is quite ugly. And it only works with an IPhone. So I would say if you don't want to look like a nerd this is an alternative that would appeal to many.
    FoudesMontres likes this.

Trade-in is indeed a bit of a security blanket. But I would assume the $1500 credit will only be valid towards TH watches at their boutiques or at full MSRP at AD. (I'd be very surprised if anyone but boutique would accept trade-in credit). Most TH buyers can save $1500 today by going GM or even with AD discount. Most Carreras start around $3K and can be had w 40-50% discount on Amazon or GM market. So seems like more of a marketing ploy than true value retention.

Interestingly enough, these are not Swiss Made (since digital manufacture and assembly is primarily in China, same as Apple and other telecom giants). Wonder if this is also a first step to relax customer expectations on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeAssemblyRequired View Post
    Based on the different dial formats shown in the photos, it appears to be an entirely virtual face rather than a digital/mechanical hybrid.
    It's all digital - not a hybrid.
    Kevin Rose on the Tag Heuer Connected: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/my...vin-rose-video

Reading more on this... 46mm diameter. Assuming no WR (IP67 splash proof). "Swiss Engineered" on the case....
    I can't predict the future, but would guess it will be a spectacular failure.

Ive been really excited to see what they were going to release - a new innovative take on the smart watch workd from the Swiss.

In the end we got a £150 Android watch in a £850 tag case... And titanium at that, not even shiny ss ;)

Huge huge disappointment!!

Literally not a single peice of innovation over a standard cheap Android wear watch. Admittedly Android wear is leaps and bounds above apple watch in terms of what the software can do (not saying that just because I use Android - but I run a mobile software agency and the apple watch is a b***h to develop on and dies next to nothing - where as there is next to no limitations on what you can make for Android wear - other than your imagination and skill!), but year, other than a slightly prettier case, there is literally zero new about this.
    JSI likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchRus View Post
    Now I am certain this is marketing ploy as they allow a trade-in program where you can trade in your smart watch for a real, mechanical Carrera in two years. So that means when someone buys a Connected watch, they have the security in knowing they can exchange it to a real one. At the end, no one is really buying a smart watch from TAG Heuer without this clause.
    a $1500 trade-in indeed.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information